Author Topic: Wed. 3/8 - St. Louis - CANCELLED  (Read 16909 times)

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
Wed. 3/8 - St. Louis - CANCELLED
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2006, 02:17:48 pm »
From the band: there was no sound system, no lights, no stage, smaller and would be similar if not worse than having to play back at Rudys. It is nice to feel good and leave a show with some confidence and energy for the next one and makes traveling in a van a lot more enjoyable. doozies kill  the mood of the tour and would have been a huge frustration factor. I guess they went and actually practiced/ went over some new songs they want to play in the next few shows and made a productive night out of it. good for them.
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

daffodil

• http://phishhook.com/lists/antelope5
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2006, 02:21:06 pm »
thanks for the update.  how can that be though since scottt said bands play there frequently?

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2006, 02:24:18 pm »
not sure. sounded like they all sat in the van for a few minutes after takin one look at the place and all were in agreement that it wasnt happening
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

daffodil

• http://phishhook.com/lists/antelope5
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2006, 02:28:02 pm »
wow, bummer.

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2006, 02:30:46 pm »
fwiw, that\'s kinda the mentality that took over ancient harmony. and look where they are now. :(

that being said, i know its hard as hell out on the road, so i wish them the very best. and at least it was a somewhat productive night. but hopefully that owner doesn\'t talk to any other stl bar owners and hopefully the folks who intended to see a show don\'t talk to anyone, either. one bad thing gets talked abut to ten folks, after all.

ScottT

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2006, 02:39:04 pm »
I did mention before that there is no "stage" - at least nothing elevated.  It\'s just one corner of the bar where the bands set up.  There were a couple mic stands, and the PA.  The speaker on stage right was suspended from the ceiling, but the one on stage left was sitting on the floor.  There was definitely nothing resembling stage lights!  I didn\'t see a house mixing board (it could have been put away) and don\'t know if the band travels with their own.  Wish I had snapped a picture...  The place is only two miles from my office here and they open in 90 minutes.  Hmmmmm....

It\'s really too bad the band opted to skip the gig.  I still had a good time hanging out at the bar with friends, but I had been looking forward to this show for a long time and put forth a lot of effort to drum up interest...  They owe me one 8^)

And actually there was music played last night.  When it became apparent that The Breakfast was indeed not returning, two members of local favorites Madahoochi did a set as an acoustic duo.  They did not play unamplified.  It actually took a while to get them set up.  I gotta plug the band because they are really good musicians, and good folks (and the keyboard player is way too cute!).  Some of you who attended 10,000 Lakes Festival last year might have caught them...

Check out this set I recorded when they opened for Lotus back in January:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=33398
Their most recent studio album is solid too!

origen

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2006, 02:42:01 pm »
Quote from: jking
fwiw, that\'s kinda the mentality that took over ancient harmony. and look where they are now. :(

that being said, i know its hard as hell out on the road, so i wish them the very best. and at least it was a somewhat productive night. but hopefully that owner doesn\'t talk to any other stl bar owners and hopefully the folks who intended to see a show don\'t talk to anyone, either. one bad thing gets talked abut to ten folks, after all.

Ancient Harmony?  They used to be my favorite band before I saw the Breakfast.  AH got way burned out by overextending themselves on tour and eventually broke up.  They did not play at all for 3 years until finally they did New Years 05-06 in Atlanta.

As for the PA system excuse: I saw the Breakfast play in Aiken SC with the worst PA system I ever saw in my life, so bad they couldn\'t even do vocals, but they went ahead and played a mostly instrumental show.

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2006, 03:04:33 pm »
i love ancient harmony more than most people should love any band. i was at their last gig in 03 and their next this past nye. in fact, had they not self destructed, they had a gig *with* the breakfast about a week later.

and you\'re right, its not a direct relation to what happened in stl, but the mindset is pretty close.

where are you from, origen? any chance we would have met at any ah shows?

edited to add~ ah is in the studio right now, working on a new album with a few dates to follow!

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2006, 03:13:52 pm »
Quote from: sallyalli

Im sorry you got let down and I hope that the boys make it up to you :(

Who are you, the new publicist? ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 03:15:32 pm by alexanderzurflu »
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2006, 03:16:21 pm »
Did the band tell the owner/booker/promoter, anyone that they were leaving and not playing the gig? or did they just take off?

I hope they showed some professionalism.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 03:22:23 pm by Spacey »
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

fuckthebreakfast

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2006, 03:21:57 pm »
Quote from: DocEllis70
From the band: there was no sound system, no lights, no stage, smaller and would be similar if not worse than having to play back at Rudys. It is nice to feel good and leave a show with some confidence and energy for the next one and makes traveling in a van a lot more enjoyable. doozies kill  the mood of the tour and would have been a huge frustration factor. I guess they went and actually practiced/ went over some new songs they want to play in the next few shows and made a productive night out of it. good for them.

You know what? Next time you talk to the band tell them to never come back to St. Louis, ever.  What a bunch of pretentious assholes.  They not only just dissed one of the most intimate venues in st. louis, a nice production company, The Loyal Family(You might know them with their involvement in getting a ton of up and coming bands into the Wakarusa festival), but they also dissed their fans because they are too cool for the venue.  Screw that!  I\'ve never seen or heard of band pull such a lame move.  What a joke!

Maybe if their new booking agent who they are SOOOO proud of wasn\'t a dumbass they would have known to bring their own PA and lights?  If they are too big for that, then why did their dumbass booking agent book them at Pop\'s Blue Moon without knowing the full details?

All this shows is that The Breakfast has no class.  I\'ve seen much better bands play in bigger rooms to only 5 people. They could have cancelled the gig and practiced at their buddy\'s house, but NO, they played for the people who truly enjoy their music.  It\'s called....appreciating your fans.  Obviously The Breakfast knows nothing about that and doesn\'t care for their fans in St. Louis.  I was actually thinking about going to the show.  A friend of mine said their guitar player is great and pretty much the reason to check out the band.  Well, now i\'m never going to see The Breakfast ever and I\'m telling all my friends that this band has no class, there another run of the mill jamband with a guitarist who sounds just like Trey did in 91, and to never give them one cent of their money.

To all members of The Breakfast:  keep practicing.

edit:  don\'t give me any crap about this venue change either.  Bands have to bring their own PA to the Venice Cafe\'(original venue) as well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 03:27:28 pm by fuckthebreakfast »
"Breakfast?  Breakfast, schmrekfest. Look at the score. I\'m only in the middle of the second period and I\'m winning 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene. Now, Hartford, the whale? Hey, they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime"

ScottT

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2006, 03:23:32 pm »
Quote from: Spacey
Did the band tell the owner/booker/promoter, anyone that they were leaving and not playing the gig? or did they just take off?

Not according to the owner of the bar.

I showed up a little after 8pm (9:30 show).  He said that he thought the band had bailed since no gear was ever set up, but added that there was a slim possibility they had left to get a bite to eat or something.  Technically they had time to return and set up at the last minute.  He felt bad that I had dragged all my recording gear out for nothing so he bought me and my buddy a round on the house.  Rogue\'s Dead Guy Ale is a mighty tasty beer!

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2006, 03:24:43 pm »
you are well within your right to be pissed about the unprofessional decision they made to ditch a gig, but you can\'t say they\'re not talented musicians.
Postcount +1.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2006, 03:27:22 pm »
They originially were scheduled to play at The Venice Cafe last night but the show was switched to Pop\'s Blue Moon.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2006, 03:27:47 pm »
Quote from: Spacey

I love the band, but this circumstance doesn\'t sound very professional.  No stage, crappy sound, potentially little money: still better than no money and blowing off fans/new fans.  They are on the road to capture the hearts of people in cities they rarely visit.  They used to play in The Meadows parking lot during Phish shows to garner new fans and there was no stage/lights/sound/money for those gigs.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex