Author Topic: Setlist: 2006-06-17 - Toad\'s Place; New Haven, CT  (Read 30984 times)

wstielau

• http://
Setlist: 2006-06-17 - Toad\'s Place; New Haven, CT
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2006, 03:24:45 pm »
Quote from: Klout
I am curious to wether or not the fans were satisfied or if they felt it didnt meet expectations.

I flew in from CA to see the show and I was very satisfied. This was one of the best performances by the band I\'ve heard. I\'d give it an 800+.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2006, 03:29:27 pm »
well I am glad people were stoked on it though. I think maybe MY expectations were really high because I knew i couldnt go. I never expect much when I actually do go so its almost always awesome.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2006, 04:02:35 pm »
Klout, I\'m just bust\'n your balls and have been waiting for the chance to use that pic.

I personally would not have minded a couple more old tunes but i really like a lot of there new material so i had no problems with that. but i feel if i haven\'t been seeing the guys play all the time i could have felt a little lost with all the new material being thrown at me and in that sense it could have been a bit weird but not living up to expectations....... that might be a bit of a stretch. just all the more reason to check these guys out more often because they\'re are growing above and beyond their past sound. hey did you used to go to Phish shows expecting to hear certain songs. i personally have seen them....... 20+ times and have never gotten to witness certain songs i wish i had seen live but little things like that kept me going to the next show or traveling that extra couple hundred miles. so for me i thought it was great, for a noob never really hearing these guys before i thought it was a rock\'n show, as an oldschool head that hasn\'t been to see them or dl a bunch of there new shows.... maybe I\'d feel a little jipped but what do you expect... these guys to make it on there former 20-30 song rotation. keep it new and fresh but maintain what the people want, phat bass bombs, silly synth, hard hitting rhythms, an earhole assault and visually mind melting, which i thought the show had so it all depends on who you ask, and since your asking the kids who are at 80-90 percent of there shows what they thought........
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2006, 05:17:17 pm »
so if I am understanding Klout correctly, you say that the 1000th show didn\'t live up to the hype made before the show?

The hype brought in, depending who you speak to, 580 to over 600 people, you can\'t get a real number and based on my inquires this is the best number I can come up with. Yes, we did create hype,  most bands do for special occassions and for the most part that was me who was responsibile. I undertook a serious amount of responsibility to promote this show and get people in the door. Shit, I even said in the lead-up thread for the show, that we should advertise "Free Sex" to get people in there, anything. So, the show was a little over-hyped because, like you and everyone else out there, we didn\'t want the show to be a lousy attended gig. They deserved better.

I was disappointed when I first walked into the venue because the crowd was thin and all I could think of was the $100 plus that I invested with my own money. If it wasn\'t for me and the rest of .info, the promotion would have been tickets handed out and probably in the car or trunk of most peoples vehicles. So the hype created was created by .info for .info. And I thank ALL OF THOSE, who helped promote this show and those who did the lovely set design, circa Phish NYE 1993.

The place filled up and the energy the crowd brought was worth a solid 100-150 more people. Everyone was extremely receptive, people knew the songs and people were estatic from the get go. There were more people tuned into the show then I have seen at a breakfast gig alone.

Was it the best breakfast show? Not by any means. Up until Lovely Rita, I didn\'t know what they would do, if anything to bring it up a notch, but then came Psygn and the rest is history.

So we overhyped a show. It was the first real show the band had promoted in how long? People came out and people will come out next time the Breakfast are at Toad\'s. Toad\'s doesn\'t like the Breakfast either for one reason or another, hence the year between gigs. So maybe the over hype worked for us, maybe it didn\'t.

Was this show all that I expected? Not at all but I will tell you this. When Buquebus got into the jam, I said fuck Bonnaroo, they can have it.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2006, 06:18:10 pm »
I have not seen alot of shows this last year (maybe 10, which is what I used to do every few weeks back in the day), so for me the hype def helped. I got myself really worked up for this show and they did not let down. Being that I was taping you have to seperate yourself from what your experiencing in order to properly document it. If I let the music take over, the camera would have been pointed at the floor the whole time and I would have been dancing. It took alot of self control to ignore how damn good the jamming was and concentrate on my work. Also, based on how much people were banging into me while dancing shows how much others around me were enjoying it as well.
I though the setlists were organized very very well and the fact that they were able to play 80% new songs and have a show that good proved how mature their songwritting and jamming has become. Sure their was no Garcian, ATSD. GSOT or many of the numerous other classics I would have liked to hear, but given this was the first time I heard many of these songs live, I was blown away. On your chart I would place this show in the 900% range.

Another factors that proved it was a good show to me:
people begging Jordan for his setlist after the show and others grabbing for the broken pieces of the acoustic. The classic moves of those who were blown away.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2006, 08:11:55 pm »
Quote from: Spacey

Was this show all that I expected? Not at all but I will tell you this. When Buquebus got into the jam, I said fuck Bonnaroo, they can have it.

:that:
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2006, 08:18:34 pm »
Quote from: Klout
So how would you guys rate this show on a scale of 1-1000. 1 being the worst show ever played and 1000 being the best.

Allright, lemme try to think of all the shows I\'ve been to since it turned \'06....

3 in Syracuse
1 in northampton
1 in southbridge
2 in CT somewhere
2 at Stoned Church
1 @ Middle East
I have a feeling there are a couple more here too I\'m forgetting... but anyway

out of all these, this 1000th show was my least favorite. My opinion is basically that the "big party show celebration" show where they bust out lots of their new tunes is inferior to the Rufus>Puppetry>TribalFunk>Escher\'s type show with a few of the new ones thrown in for good measure.

The balloons and decorations were pretty cool but honestly I always tend to enjoy the smaller shows where PB/Breakfast tends to get into the deep and dark jams that really get inside my head.

I also thought, musically, that the 1000th show was somewhat weak relative to the rest of the shows I\'ve seen this year. For example, the Puppetry at the last Stone Church show was the sickest thing I\'ve seen in quite some time. The Puppetry in New Haven didn\'t do much for me and that\'s one of my favorite tunes! They didn\'t jam out as much as I like to see and I am used to seeing.

I also thought the Psygn and Buquebus were the weakest ones I\'ve seen this year. I guess my expectations were extremely high going into this show, because I feel like up until this point the band has raised the bar every single time I\'ve seen them. But hey, I understand this show was serving some kind of "other" purpose. But it really didn\'t seem like a "normal" Breakfast show to me.... something was strange about it, and frankly, I prefer the Breakfast I\'ve grown to love and plan my weekends around.

So... relative to some of the other incredibly sick shows I\'ve seen this year....

"200"

flame on motherlovers

oh yeah, if you read between the lines of this post you can see I obviously am not a real fan of Breakfast :P

hahaha.... but seriously, I do pretty much agree with you Klout. And I was actually there ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 08:30:06 pm by bdfreetuna »
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2006, 08:22:23 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna

So... relative to some of the other incredibly sick shows I\'ve seen this year....

"200"

:shock1: REALLY!!! I\'m not gonna say it was even nearly the sickest show of the year but the audience vibe alone made this a show I will never forget, the Queeb was ridiculous (no PH or Providence but none the less) I def understand what you mean by small shows with jams that get into your head, but this night to me was more about the band and the audience working together than the band just blowing everything away.....
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2006, 08:29:47 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna

"200"

flame on motherlovers

hahahaha watch out dude... wolfwoman didnt eat her meds today.

thanks for the honest review though.

ANd thanks to spacey too for getting so many heads in the door.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 08:32:03 pm by Klout »

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2006, 08:38:52 pm »
Yeah my favorite Buquebus of this year occured on 04-07-06 @ Mezzanotte... . not a huge crowd got to witness that one though. Premier Music Hall was sick too. I didn\'t make it to Providence (arrested on the way down there, doh!) but I got that burned on CD and its sick too.

Klout I believe you were there although I don\'t believe I said hello ;) @ Mezzanotte that is

Me! I actually find that smaller shows allow for more audience / band interaction. Like the last show I saw at Southbridge was a classic example of that. Everyone who wanted to be right up front where the band was could be, and Tim was doing Jedi guitar shit pointing at different people in the audience.... and they broke into some funky original jams ... "Bounce with me! uh-huh, uh-huh, Bounce with me!"

Dunno, I hope that Breakfast does become more popular, because obviously I wish what\'s best for the band. But I also hope if this happens I\'ll still be as interested in the band as I am now.

Oh well, I knew their rediculous consecutive streak of "favorite shows ever!!!!" couldn\'t go on forever ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 08:41:26 pm by bdfreetuna »
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2006, 08:53:41 pm »
Quote from: Todd
moving the love of my life in

I\'m confused, which one of the following is the love of your life?:

this one? :beer: or this one? :stoned:

or :banski: ?  or :guitar:
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2006, 09:01:32 pm »
depends what day of the week it is :lol:

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2006, 09:21:11 pm »
4/20 in Burlington is probably still my favorite show of the year so far.   I can think of another couple I\'d rank higher than Toad\'s(the Middle East, Northhampton), but I was pleased w/ Toad\'s nonetheless.  It was like the Coda show w/ a Buquebus.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
where to begin
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2006, 09:27:59 pm »
1. As someone who helped promote-Thanks to all that came out.

2.To Spacey\'s feeling that Toad\'s doesn\'t like the Breakfast, it\'s b/c at least in their opinion, attendance had @ best plateued (sp?) or @ worst dwindled in recent shows.  The consensus feeling was if they were going to "make it" it would have happened by now. The effort of over hype was beyond necessary.  A sparse crowd would have spelled the end of the Breakfast at this venue.  How can a young band grow if their biggest local venue sees them as old news?  As fan of the Breakfast and local live music I thought this was important enough to get off my ass and do something (which lead to my discovery of .info)  This show annouced the much belated arrival of tB as a legit Saturday night headliner at a club that has boasted (ad nauseum) some of the biggest names in music.

3. I personally brought about 18 people (in addition to many many passes handed out) who had never seen the band before.  The response was overwhelmingly positive.  Some old fans could care less about noobs, but that\'s what the band needs so they don\'t have to go out and get joobs. (heh)

4. Even the Dead stopped playing Dark Star to move on to Help On the Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower type sets.  The new songs are GREAT. They need to be played.

5. Thanks to everyone on .info who made me feel welcome as I made the jump from long term casual fan, to a guy who won\'t shut up about this band.

Oh yeah did I forget to mention (to mention Memphis) that this show was HUGE FUCKIN SUCCESS!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 11:00:46 pm by wildcoyote »
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

rocksuitcase

« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2006, 10:22:30 pm »
Wow wildcoyote.  As a long time fan and someone who has just started posting here more than once per year I really have similar thoughts as far as where the band is at right now and the Toad\'s show\'s relevance.

1] I know something about music production/promotion and am aware that this band needs as much crowd/venue awareness as they can muster/gather/buy right now, this year.  after 8 years they need to start seeing a steady booking calendar and sell their studio recordings.  This also entails making sure every one in the organization can travel and earn enough money to not get hassled "at home".

2] I think the evolution of their songwriting is INCREDIBLE.  I have been hooked on Tim\'s guitar playing and the bands approach to music since self titled, but I still think the new materail and REAL RADIO in a sense began a 2nd phase of song structure/creation to their studio output.

3] Thank you to Spacey and all who put their time/money/effort in to getting "PAYING butts through the door" because that is what is important both for the element of making the show memorable but also for the economic return to the band/venue.  I had great FUN!:bounce2:

4] I think venues that host all ages shows sometimes get negative toward an act if they don\'t sell enough overall tickets and then don\'t sell enough booze.