Author Topic: A thread about the WGA strike  (Read 2503 times)

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
A thread about the WGA strike
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 03:56:45 pm »
Quote from: Spacey;173385
You don\'t cross picket lines without repercussions. There is a science to a strike. Even if you did find replacements many actors/actresses would not cross the lines. It is not a questions of creativity but pay and getting residuals for their work, which they are entitled.

I agree with crossing picket lines.

I guess I just find it funny that a bunch of no talent assholes can demand anything. How about writing something new and original and we can talk about residuals and compensation.

The reality is that their profession exists to sell advertising and nothing more. Always has and always will.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 04:04:08 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;173387
Quote from: Spacey;173385
You don\'t cross picket lines without repercussions. There is a science to a strike. Even if you did find replacements many actors/actresses would not cross the lines. It is not a questions of creativity but pay and getting residuals for their work, which they are entitled.

I agree with crossing picket lines.

I guess I just find it funny that a bunch of no talent assholes can demand anything. How about writing something new and original and we can talk about residuals and compensation.

The reality is that their profession exists to sell advertising and nothing more. Always has and always will.

My father is the President of the American Postal Workers Union in New Haven/Connecticut. I brake his balls constantly about this. As long as they pay their Union dues the Union will protect and fight for them. I jokingly break his balls that he is in the business of keeping incompetent people employed because they pay their dues.

That real is it in my opinion. The Union protects their members as long as dues are paid.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 04:45:51 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;173387

HOLY SWEEPING GENERALIZATIONS.  

So, you don\'t watch television or movies \'cause the no talent writers never make you laugh, think, or feel any other emotion?

I am Jack\'s false sense of reality.

There is a whole spectrum of writing out there in TV & Movie land from the crap you see on Full House (or whatever it\'s current reincarnation is called) to the genius that\'s winning academy awards.  They belong to a collective union to protect one another from the greedy hounds that in one breath are claiming that DVD & Online royalties are worthless, then turning around and collecting billions.

Plus, the writers are the pioneers blazing a path for the other entertainment based unions to get their fair share of those royalties.

Quote from: Spacey;173390

That real is it in my opinion. The Union protects their members as long as dues are paid.

The union only protects who the company hires.  If the company is hiring a bunch of gap mouthed bottom feeders, whose fault is that?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 04:45:51 pm by SlimPickens »

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 04:49:21 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens;173414

The union only protects who the company hires.  If the company is hiring a bunch of gap mouthed bottom feeders, whose fault is that?

thanks, Dad.

The Union only protects those who pay their dues. It may be the company that hires them, we all work with people who are incompetent, it is difficult for a company to fire them when they are involved with the Unions. Try to fire a Union member and they will hand you a card to call their Union Rep. As long as monthly dues are in, they have the protection of the Union.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 05:02:38 pm »
Quote from: Spacey;173419
Quote from: SlimPickens;173414

thanks, Dad.

The Union only protects those who pay their dues. It may be the company that hires them, we all work with people who are incompetent, it is difficult for a company to fire them when they are involved with the Unions. Try to fire a Union member and they will hand you a card to call their Union Rep. As long as monthly dues are in, they have the protection of the Union.

Go to your room Boy!  You\'re grounded.

I work w/ this dude who is a real mouth breathing moron.  I can\'t stand him.  But there are other people here that think he\'s a good worker.  How would a union know who is a good worker and who is a bad worker?

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »
There is communication between management and the Union reps. This happens almost daily. When management tries to fire an employee they have to deal with a Union rep not with the individual. It is like having an agent/lawyer with you at all times. Every mistake you make can usually be defended by the Union. Unions don\'t care if you can do the job or not, they like everyone else want their money.

I believe in Unions but like I said, tongue-in-cheek, that they only defend if your dues are paid.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 07:31:53 pm »
Quote from: Spacey;173431
I believe in Unions but like I said, tongue-in-cheek, that they only defend if your dues are paid.

Everyone\'s got bills to pay

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 07:45:08 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens;173440
Quote from: Spacey;173431

Everyone\'s got bills to pay

your attitude is starting to get to me, Lovitz!

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 11:43:25 pm »
strike over

I had no idea.  Good news though.  Should be getting at most a half dozen new episodes of shows in May.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 12:18:53 am by Me! »
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon