Author Topic: Clear Channel wants to ban taping at Venues  (Read 2153 times)

tiedyetoga

Clear Channel wants to ban taping at Venues
« on: April 11, 2004, 07:29:08 pm »
As many of you know I hate clear channel with a passion. I just feel that it is my duty to fill you in with some interesting info that might affect you and the way you listen to live music.

FYI, just adding to the madness, Clear Channel has permanently instituted a $350 fee per concert for bands to record themselves off of their soundboard feed in a Clear Channel venue for any purpose - archival, future release, etc. With this Insta-live process being patented, rumors have been circulating that Clear Channel has planned on installing permananet "InstaLive" systems in their major venues. Once that has happened, Clear Channel plans on disallowing taping at all CC owned venues or charging individuals and/or bands for allowing audience or soundboard recordings."
Source: Moheads Mailing List (April 7, 2004)

Instant Live LLC Acquires U.S. Patent
BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 7, 2004

Instant Live LLC today announced that the company has acquired the U.S. Patent and continuation for the business method of creating and distributing digital concert recordings contemporaneously at events. The patent covers all media. Based on an application filed in 2000, the Patent is the first ever issued for the on site creation and distribution of recordings of live events.

Instant Live LLC records, duplicates, packages and sells live recordings of musical artists to fans immediately following the concert. CD\'s are delivered to fans within 5 minutes after the end of the show. Instant Live(TM) debuted last year in clubs and theaters in the Northeast, toured with national acts and has recently announced the expansion of its operational base.

"We are extremely pleased to be the owners of this recording and distribution business method," said Brian Becker, CEO of Clear Channel Entertainment. "Instant Live(TM) is one of several exciting new initiatives. We are committed to continuing to grow our company in artist and fan friendly endeavors."

Steve Simon, Executive Vice President of Clear Channel Entertainment\'s Music Division and the Director of Instant Live(TM), said, "We are dedicated to the growth of the format. We would like to make the contemporaneous recording business as inclusive as possible and attractive to all artists. It represents a great opportunity for established acts to deliver something special to fans while enhancing their revenues. It also enables less established acts to make and distribute high quality recordings and generate additional revenue without incurring expenses."

The acquisition covers U.S. Patent No. 6,614,729 issued on September 2, 2003 and includes a continuation patent application number 10/624,077. The Patent has a priority date of September 26, 2000. The patent acquisition will make the Instant Live(TM) business method fully proprietary and adds to its existing intellectual property.

Instant Live(TM) was introduced in February 2003, in Boston and offered music fans an opportunity to purchase a CD recording of the concert they just attended before they left the venue. Instant Live(TM) concerts are recorded using state-of-the-art technology, including a combination of ambient microphones and feeds from the soundboard. By summer 2003, Instant Live(TM) was recording the legendary Allman Brothers Band and popular jam band Moe. in theaters and amphitheaters across the country. Instant Live(TM) will soon be announcing plans for digital distribution and the Summer 2004 concert season. Plans for on site digital distribution are in the works.

About Clear Channel Entertainment:

Clear Channel Entertainment, a leading producer and marketer of live entertainment events is a subsidiary of Clear Channel Communications (NYSE: CCU), a global leader in the away-from-home advertising industry. Clear Channel Entertainment currently owns, operates and/or exclusively books approximately 130 live entertainment venues, including nearly 100 in North America and more than 30 in Europe. In 2003, 69 million people attended approximately 32,000 events promoted and/or produced by the company, including live music events; Broadway, West End and touring theatrical shows; family entertainment shows; museum exhibitions, and specialized sports and motor sports events. In addition, the company\'s independently operated athlete representation business, SFX, provides management, marketing and financial consulting services to many of the world\'s top professional athletes. Clear Channel Entertainment also provides marketing services through LIVE Channel, a company dedicated to creating and executing live events for companies seeking brand promotion. Clear Channel Entertainment operates throughout North America, Europe, and Australia. More information may be found by visiting http://www.cc.com and http://www.clearchannel.com.
Source:http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&newsId=20040407005710&newsLang=en&beanID=202776713&viewID=news_view
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 07:31:12 pm by tiedyetoga »

antscrashDMB420

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 07:35:51 pm »
Well, taping was nice while it lasted.  Pretty soon you\'re gonna see college kids taping their professors\' lectures with sick Schoepps mics jus so they can get some use out of them.

JSleeper240

• I fling poo
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 07:45:40 pm »
Gray, keep yer comments to yourself or friggin Clear Channel will ban YOU, or charge you for any comment made online with their name invloved. ;)

tiedyetoga

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 07:49:56 pm »
LOL, I\'m just waiting for the day they sue me. I\'ll have a very large mouth, and i\'ll rally the troops. I\'ll make sure it gets in the major newspapers and what not. When Greg sued me, it was nothing. I just did what I had to do to fix the problem. I will however never go to another ABB show again or support them in anyway. That\'s pretty much all I can say on that matter.

Oh and do you belive in the internet?

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 04:47:49 am »
Originally posted by tiedyetoga
When Greg sued me, it was nothing. I just did what I had to do to fix the problem. I will however never go to another ABB show again or support them in anyway. That\'s pretty much all I can say on that matter.

wait - greg allman sued greyson?? oh man, I know its probably sealed, but thats hillarious! I can on imagine what grey could have done to piss off greg allman.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 07:13:31 am »
as soon as I saw the post about them getting the copyright on live discs, I knew that this was comming. it seems like no one will let things be if they discover they could be making money off of it. greedy bastards.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

tiedyetoga

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 09:43:23 am »
Originally posted by FrankZappa
wait - greg allman sued greyson?? oh man, I know its probably sealed, but thats hillarious! I can on imagine what grey could have done to piss off greg allman.

Its Grayson, btw. I can\'t say much about the matter. However, I would like to ask you this question though; "Do you belive in the internet?"

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Taken from tapersscetion.com
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 10:25:29 am »

live recording is something that fans of the jam band
scene have mastered.  With CC now recording bands in the same genre, people will be sucked into your monopoly of flat, unmastered, empty sounding soundboard recordings.  This also puts a damper on us tapers, the ones who go out and help spread the music for a good cause, a free cause.  The bands that CC have contracted to record live with all have had their start from us tapers spreading the word of the band.  tapers never charged for a recording, nor do we get in the way of the fans.  Now CC is not only
charging for live recordins, but you are getting in the way of us tapers.  The BIGGEST fans.  I would like to hear a responce concerning this newest was to rip the fans off and why you think it is a good idea to record instant live!  thank you for reading
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Pnobles,

Thanks for your E-mail. We at Instant Live certainly do not discourage
taping, or the free distribution of bootlegs. We have never interfered
with a taper, or their operations. In fact, on our 30-date tour with
moe., with tripods in hand and gear on their backs, tapers that
followed the band were our greatest supporters, and after seeing each
other night after night on tour, we made some great friends.

What we offer is a service to fans that may not otherwise have the
time or means to search for a taped recording. We guarantee quality
with a matrix recording that is mixed by the band\'s own Front of House
sound engineer using a combination of ambient microphones and
soundboard feeds. We offer it conveniently, within 5 minutes after the
show is over, and for a price that is placed below that of retail live
discs of similar length.

Why is it a good idea? Because the band benefits. We are an artist
service, committed to giving small bands a big voice. Tapers are
absolutely essential in the development of a young jam band. We can
help young jam bands develop as well in other ways. By participating
in the Instant Live program, small bands get exposure on national
publications, radio play, sponsorship opportunity, premium placement
on retail shelves, even unique perks like national play on XM
Satellite radio. In addition to the promotion, they get cash. Lets
face it, most jam bands are out there touring on their own and vans,
equipment, gas, etc. can be difficult to afford. All the profit we
make gets split right down the middle with the band, AND we pay them
the full rate on all mechanical royalties. All this is offered to the
band at zero risk. They do not have to front a dime.

I\'m sure that like many, you see a corporate name and think that
someone in a suit is trying to rip you off. This couldn\'t be further
from the truth. Instant Live is a small company, staffed by people who
truly love the music we work with. Yes, the bills are paid for by a
large corporation, but that only gives us more resources to help bands
with.

Bottom line, Tapers are a positive thing, and very healthy in the
growth and reach of a young band. However, Instant Live is also a
positive thing, and also very healthy and lucrative for a young band.
I understand your opinion, but if what you say is true, and you tape
to help your favorite band reach a wider audience, than we have the
same goals in mind. I sincerely hope you share our belief in local and
indie artists, we\'ve certainly staked our careers on them. I hope that
Instant Live can be a positive experience for you in the future, and
even encourage you to come visit us at a show sometime. We always love
a good conversation on these types of issues.

Best wishes,

Instant Live Staff
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 10:26:52 am »
I would never defend CC but found the e-mail conversation interesting.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

tiedyetoga

Re: Taken from tapersscetion.com
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 11:17:51 am »
Originally posted by kindm\'s

live recording is something that fans of the jam band
scene have mastered.  With CC now recording bands in the same genre, people will be sucked into your monopoly of flat, unmastered, empty sounding soundboard recordings.  This also puts a damper on us tapers, the ones who go out and help spread the music for a good cause, a free cause.  The bands that CC have contracted to record live with all have had their start from us tapers spreading the word of the band.  tapers never charged for a recording, nor do we get in the way of the fans.  Now CC is not only
charging for live recordins, but you are getting in the way of us tapers.  The BIGGEST fans.  I would like to hear a responce concerning this newest was to rip the fans off and why you think it is a good idea to record instant live!  thank you for reading
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Pnobles,

Thanks for your E-mail. We at Instant Live certainly do not discourage
taping, or the free distribution of bootlegs. We have never interfered
with a taper, or their operations. In fact, on our 30-date tour with
moe., with tripods in hand and gear on their backs, tapers that
followed the band were our greatest supporters, and after seeing each
other night after night on tour, we made some great friends.

What we offer is a service to fans that may not otherwise have the
time or means to search for a taped recording. We guarantee quality
with a matrix recording that is mixed by the band\'s own Front of House
sound engineer using a combination of ambient microphones and
soundboard feeds. We offer it conveniently, within 5 minutes after the
show is over, and for a price that is placed below that of retail live
discs of similar length.

Why is it a good idea? Because the band benefits. We are an artist
service, committed to giving small bands a big voice. Tapers are
absolutely essential in the development of a young jam band. We can
help young jam bands develop as well in other ways. By participating
in the Instant Live program, small bands get exposure on national
publications, radio play, sponsorship opportunity, premium placement
on retail shelves, even unique perks like national play on XM
Satellite radio. In addition to the promotion, they get cash. Lets
face it, most jam bands are out there touring on their own and vans,
equipment, gas, etc. can be difficult to afford. All the profit we
make gets split right down the middle with the band, AND we pay them
the full rate on all mechanical royalties. All this is offered to the
band at zero risk. They do not have to front a dime.

I\'m sure that like many, you see a corporate name and think that
someone in a suit is trying to rip you off. This couldn\'t be further
from the truth. Instant Live is a small company, staffed by people who
truly love the music we work with. Yes, the bills are paid for by a
large corporation, but that only gives us more resources to help bands
with.

Bottom line, Tapers are a positive thing, and very healthy in the
growth and reach of a young band. However, Instant Live is also a
positive thing, and also very healthy and lucrative for a young band.
I understand your opinion, but if what you say is true, and you tape
to help your favorite band reach a wider audience, than we have the
same goals in mind. I sincerely hope you share our belief in local and
indie artists, we\'ve certainly staked our careers on them. I hope that
Instant Live can be a positive experience for you in the future, and
even encourage you to come visit us at a show sometime. We always love
a good conversation on these types of issues.

Best wishes,

Instant Live Staff

lies, lies, lies and more lies.... You are Clear Channel bottom line. Thanks for ruining the Jammy\'s. I will not attend again since jambands.com/Relix sold out to you. You are the scum of the earth and are ruining the music industry. You will not dictate what we listen to. You will not force feed your pop chart music down our throats.

My response to that. I\'m going to email it to CC now. This was in no way an attack at the poster (kindm\'s). This is a rant that I\'m sending to CC.

tiedyetoga

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 11:18:53 am »
I would never defend CC but found the e-mail conversation interesting.

I couldn\'t agree more with ya.

realisthis

• I Got 99 Problems, But...
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/realisthis?listid=0
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 03:27:25 pm »
The clear channel employee totally avoided the question and avoided answering it at all costs necessary....
How real is that?

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 04:41:52 pm »
Not to stir up more shit but our favorite band did do business with them

ChrisF

• http://
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 04:57:55 pm »
Not to stir up more shit but our favorite band did do business with them

they record every band that plays that venue. And its not even like you can go and buy a copy of the show now anyway, because its not available

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2004, 05:39:24 pm »
Let \'em try and stop tapers. We have had YEARS of learning how to get around "security".  I can remember being the rogue taper @ the ABB back in \'90 when I had to see this "new" shredder in the band. I have tapes from so many different venues and each w/ a story of how inept security was. This will never change. Besides any band that is worth the time to tape most likely will not let Instant Live ban taping.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.