Author Topic: Grizzly Man  (Read 1817 times)

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
Grizzly Man
« on: February 08, 2006, 05:31:13 pm »
Everyone should go out and rent this documentary by Werner Herzog. I\'m sure most of you have heard about it/seen it, and i HIGHLY recommend it.

For those who haven\'t heard anything, it\'s about a man who for 13 years lived in the Grizzly maze of Alaska (four months of each year) and took over 100 hours of footage. His goal was to educate the public, kids especially, on how to protect wildlife, particularly grizzly bears. In 2003, just a day before Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend were scheduled to end the 13th expedition, they both got eaten by a bear.

Herzog documents the entire life and death of Treadwell through his closest friends, parents, and people who were in someway involved in his life and actions. He definitely captures both sides of any debate and everyone interviewed is unique and extremely well-spoken in their own way. It\'s also visually incredible and Treadwell\'s personal videos are amazing. They explore the world of the bears and the mind of Treadwell who is as entertaining as an individual gets. If you have an affinity for animals like myself you\'ll appreciate his footage.

Go and check it out if you have nothing to do and you\'re bored.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
Grizzly Man
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 05:58:12 pm »
Twas good, I saw it last fall and will most likely see it again when it becomes available on Netflix.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
Grizzly Man
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 07:53:25 pm »
Just saw it this weekend. Off the hook! Great movie, never seen anything like it.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

YoMa

Grizzly Man
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 08:03:55 pm »
i liked it, found it very touching..but i have to ask, what sense did it make for him to be in Alaska right before hibernation season (around the time he died)? how much protecting would the bears have needed then anyway? i\'m not a grizzly expert by any means, but i found this to be a bit odd. also, had he actually ever really protected any of the bears by being there? seems to me like he was just getting in the way of nature at times.

on the other hand, it told an incredible story and showed a side of human nature that you definatly do not see everyday. also the footage of the bears and Alaskan scenery was incredible

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Grizzly Man
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 08:18:27 pm »
isn\'t that the guy who got attacked while shooting and died?
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

YoMa

Grizzly Man
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 08:22:30 pm »
yup. he and his lady friend.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
Grizzly Man
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 09:40:11 pm »
i\'ve heard good things about this.  i\'ll have to check it out.
Postcount +1.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
Grizzly Man
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 01:07:21 am »
Quote from: YoMa
i liked it, found it very touching..but i have to ask, what sense did it make for him to be in Alaska right before hibernation season (around the time he died)? how much protecting would the bears have needed then anyway? i\'m not a grizzly expert by any means, but i found this to be a bit odd. also, had he actually ever really protected any of the bears by being there? seems to me like he was just getting in the way of nature at times.

on the other hand, it told an incredible story and showed a side of human nature that you definatly do not see everyday. also the footage of the bears and Alaskan scenery was incredible

His influence had to do with education of the public... that is how he is helping/will help the bears... regardless of the (curious) choice of time to be there...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 01:08:29 am by jocelyn »
Masturbation in the MFA

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
Grizzly Man
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 03:17:57 pm »
found all the different opinions interesting.. like the native alaskan who said straight up he was "doing more harm to the bears than help." i agree that he crossed that invisible line where bears stay away from humans and vice versa, but then again the world needs exception here and there and im always at conflict with how i feel when i watch treadwell. so in that sense, this movie makes you look upon yourself without even realizing it at the moment. i love it, i just think its so interesting.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash