Author Topic: Setlist: 2005-08-20 - Puppet House Theatre; Branford, CT  (Read 52937 times)

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Setlist: 2005-08-20 - Puppet House Theatre; Branford, CT
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2005, 03:10:01 pm »
howwa bout we get these pics emailed out to the .info members
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2005, 03:10:21 pm »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley
Any of those three sets alone would be worth flying 3,000 miles.  Anybody :cough: LEITH :cough: agree?

uh yeah
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Ant-Man

• govt.cheeze
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2005, 03:11:13 pm »
phirehead...don\'t lie Mr. JC did a good job of moistining your panties...

Glad you had fun...and get use to the 200:1 male:female ratio...you will be surounded by males all the time!
3-4-05:  Inspired, enlightened, surprised, excited, confused, evoked euphoria, focused, newfound faith in music.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2005, 03:16:23 pm »
Quote from: Ant-Man
phirehead...don\'t lie Mr. JC did a good job of moistining your panties...

Glad you had fun...and get use to the 200:1 male:female ratio...you will be surounded by males all the time!

HA

I don\'t even know where to begin. That was one of the best turnouts for females at a Breakfast show to date, Friday night too, that I have seen. The tides are turning. Soon, there will be many more to fend off.

Quote from: leith
Any of those three sets alone would be worth flying 3,000 miles.  Anybody :cough: LEITH :cough: agree?

uh yeah

I missed this originally. I have to agree. I would have come from anywhere in the world, probably would have sold my soul, just to witness that Buquebus.

Was it just me or did the Breakfast turn the Puppet House into a little festival?

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2005, 03:20:49 pm »
My highlight = Stevie G shouting "MOIST" repeatedly durnig the Sgt. Pepper\'s set.

was he describing his panties?

it\'s only a matter of time before Timmy has to hire someone to protect himself from Steve.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2005, 03:21:56 pm »
As the drum solo was starting last nite. Tim turned to me and said " I don\'t know(shaking his head) This is only the 2nd song, I know we have more songs to play but..(shakes head again w/ the biggest smile) I have no idea what... After the show the words"possibly the best set I have ever played" were uttered in pure exhaustion by the man known in these parts as TPalms PME. As evidenced by the devastation of the  groupmind this was probably a pretty accurate description of his playing.
Oh and that 2nd set? whatever guys! Talk about making a musical statement!!!!!!!!!!!!
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2005, 03:24:28 pm »
holy good lord shitman...
whew...
set 1=unreal.the heat.sickness.stooooopit..in my opinion,better than set 1 on friday.
longass gladys pimp jam didnt have many folks pissed,cept dobz"the stoned turtle"..what the funk was dirtydirtydirty.couldnt help it to shake your arse and make the face..you know the face folks..jam>pupperty is when i busted my first nut of the night.pure chaos.sebastian on the puppet=priceless.the puppet was rockin out pretty frickin hard too!the wegwich to follow was were i abruptly busted another nut without even knowing i still had a boner.holy shit!they shouldve ended the set after that and everyone wouldve been stoked,but instead they blew the schnot outta doughboy.pure insanity the first set was..

the sgt pepper set was purely ridiculous.i loved the fact that rumors were going around that they were covering van halen 1984.when the real shit came out,there wasnt a still body in the crowd.initially,i was quite skeptical about within you without you,but good lord tpalms pulled it off..jesus..stoooopit..the reprise>day in the life had tears in folks eyes,and for good reason.it was perfect.phish wish they could do it like that..crazy.perfect album to cover.im gonna turn my dad onto "psychotic picnic"with this set..
set 3=speechless..i cant say nothin that hasnt already been said.this band is off the chains at this point.
for the encore i busted another one,and my nuts were beggining to hurt.ad on the sg=whew!
tpalms was killing the drumkit.hittin em reallly hard..
all in all,an unreal show/weekend.
i dont think it topped porters,but was better than toads,and they need to play here more often.
a freakouyt at the puppethouse was kill folks.please do it!
great people,great times.im glad folks are realizing that this is he best band in the world,that not enough folks know about yet!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 03:28:33 pm by freddiewaht »
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2005, 03:28:56 pm »
I was so blown away by the bands performance, I personally thanked Adrian, Ron, Jordan and Tim for letting me be part of the best set of Breakfast ever. When I went to talk to Tim afterwards I said, "that was the best set of music I ever seen" and just like Leith said, TPalms PME answered, "that was the best set I ever played". I then went to thank him for it happening and told him that I was glad we could share it together.

Not to bad for a "shitty, 3rd tier bar band", IMO

Ant-Man

• govt.cheeze
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2005, 03:31:33 pm »
Exposure, then nuts will be popping everywhere!
3-4-05:  Inspired, enlightened, surprised, excited, confused, evoked euphoria, focused, newfound faith in music.

delfunk1

• South Shore BreakfastHead
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2005, 04:07:50 pm »
Quote from: Spacey
Was it just me or did the Breakfast turn the Puppet House into a little festival?

Brek-Fest \'05........hmmm has a ring to it...
This isn\'t who it would be if it wasn\'t who it is.

"Part of me suspects that I\'m a loser, and the other part of me thinks I\'m God Almighty. " -John Lennon

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
The Breakfast: Bringing Down The Puppet House
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2005, 04:19:29 pm »
OK everyone, here\'s the jambase/jambands review.  Hopefully it gets published.  56 adjectives, all different.  Phew!

The Breakfast: Bringing Down The Puppet House

This is Seth Wolfman reporting live from the balcony at the Puppet House Theater in Branford, CT, where The Breakfast have just finished a colossal two night mega-throwdown.  As I type I have a bird\'s-eye view of the post-show afterglow, which is quite bright because The Breakfast lit this place up.  The air is so thick after these shows that you can taste it.

This two night run started last night to a stuffed house that came ready to party.  The first set was highlighted by a creative and seamless “Garcian Fishbowl” > “Escher’s Etchings” that featured scintillating rock-trance hybrid jams juxtaposing many ins and outs, highs and lows.  The band’s newest epic composition, “Gravity”, yielded its finest version to date.  The gargantuan exploratory jam and vocal reprise were garnished with glistening gobo work by new light tech Gregg Ellis.  Overall the energy that the crowd packed for this set was unprecedented for the first set of a two-night run; it felt like a 2am festival set.

To make this run even more interesting, the band announced that it would be covering a complete classic rock album each night.  After much anticipation and predictions, the crowd was surprised and pumped as the opening strains of “Roadhouse Blues” signified that we would be the first people to ever hear a complete live rendition of The Doors’ Morrison Hotel.  Familiar tunes such as “Peace Frog” and “Ship of Fools” kept the audience grooving, while the band capitalized on the one-time opportunity to jam on rarities such as “Maggie M’Gill.”

When a band opens a set with a song that is usually a closer, it always brings an element of excitement and intensity to the table.  Tonight’s third set opened with “Taboo or Not Taboot” which immediately set the tone for a funk-down party atmosphere.  The highlight of the set was a roof-raising “Great Big Fiery Ball In The Sky.”  (Operating word: Fiery.)  No pretenses here, just a titanic in-your-face rock jam that made me picture the doors of the building actually blowing off.  The set ended back where it began, in funkytown, with funk monster “Gladys Pimp and Kangaroos With Me.”  After inciting a raging dance party, the band ended the show with the song tantalizingly unfinished.  The crowd was so utterly dialed in during this entire show that the walls could have crumbled around us and we wouldn’t have even noticed.

Show #2 opened with the daunting task of having to be better than show #1.  A packed, rowdy pre-show house showed that the fans were clearly up to the challenge.  Then The Breakfast showed they were equal to the task by opening up with “Gladys Pimp” right where they had left it off the night before.  You could splice the recordings together and not even know that it was a different show.  This set was defined by the Breakfast’s unparalleled segue savvy.  “Puppetry” > “Garcian Fishbowl” > “Frankly Po Zest” > “Puppetry” looks great on paper, and sounds even better in person.  Puppetry featured a puppeteer working one of the incredible 2-foot classical puppets that hauntingly decorate the venue.  By the time the conquering new tune “Doughboy” closed the set, it was impossible to tell which was hotter: the wild audience, the jams, or the anticipation as to what tonight’s album cover would be.

The crowd waited eagerly for The Breakfast to strike up the first chords of set II so we could see what the album would be.  Few songs could have brought the explosive response that accompanied the opening strains of “Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.”  The added elements of hundreds of balloons and Jed Kordell on trombone signified that there would be no messing around with this unthinkable covering of a seminal rock album.  The highlights were a triumphantly trippy “Within You Without You” and a superbly psychedelic “Lovely Rita.”  Who knew that “Lovely Rita” was an epic psychedelic jam vehicle?  Somewhere, Lennon was smiling.

Third set capped off six sets of sustained stimulation for all who came. The first jam in “Buquebus” featured an early climax that blasted right through several would-be downbeats and drove the house nutty. The energy never came down from that point. Another huge double drum solo, monstrous “Mayfly Disarray”, and heavily requested “Rufus” had everyone in the house in full freak mode.  “Superfly Phaddy Phat” opened with an impressive beat-box vocal jam, then emerged as the smokin’ old-school closer it has always been.  The encore of “Rockin In The Free World” featured the musical prowess of guitarist Tim Palmieri and drummer Adrian Tromantano.  For the entire encore, Palmieri played drums and Tromantano played guitar and sang lead vocals, and there was no drop-off in musical quality whatsoever.  Unbelievable.  The place went mad one more time…the lights came up…and the audience was left to bask in the glorious aftermath teeming with love and satisfaction.

I can feel it from way up here.  

Seth Wolfman

Whathefunk

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2005, 04:23:22 pm »
Quote from: Spacey

No doubt.  Right now i can\'t conjure up the words to express the emotions i felt and am now left with after this weekend.  The music was amazing, the people were cool as shit, the beer was abundant (and cheap), and venue was rocking!  PHT by far the best venue....in the world! I\'ll have a full review later, i just wanted to check the setlist and thank everyone (the band, the serheads, the newbs) for a fuckin\' amazing weekend!

Peace,

WTF

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2005, 05:07:51 pm »
Quote from: leith
As the drum solo was starting last nite. Tim turned to me and said " I don\'t know(shaking his head) This is only the 2nd song, I know we have more songs to play but..(shakes head again w/ the biggest smile) I have no idea what... After the show the words"possibly the best set I have ever played"

Late last night, even after wolf had finished writting his post and come downstairs, I was talking with tim. He looked exhaused. He just looked at me with a smile as wide as his face and said "I don\'t know what happen. Somewhere in that show something clicked - everyhwere. The whole place came together on it. I\'ve never played like that before in my life, I don\'t think any of us have. I went somewhere completely different for the entire 3rd set... And you have it all on video."

then we both just laughed in disbelief.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

crimsonknuckles

• makes geniuses disappear!
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2005, 05:26:03 pm »
vid-e-o! vid-e-o! vid-e-o!
" Let\'s go Islanders!!!!!!! "
" A festive mood is all around, Another world is what we found "
" Brewin\' funk inside my soul kitchen so pullup a chair here\'s a bit have a listen "

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2005, 05:29:38 pm »
balance...balance...Balance...Balance...BALANCE...BAAAAAAAAAAALAAAAAAAAANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Food for Thought=best verison ever

Buquebus=best version ever and possible all-time top Breakfast jam

Sgt. Pepper\'s=most emotional, crowd-crazy-yet-attentive set ever

8-20-05=unquestionably my favorite Breakfast show to date

Great job on the review Wolf...more later about the performances...but a quick word on life.

A thank you to everyone for one of the most enjoyable weekends of my existence. I thanked each member of the band afterwards for their intensely original performances and I will thank all of my wonderful friends for our intensely original lives. We lived the shit out of this weekend and we do it up llike no one else.

I mean, who else can you do this stuff with? It was 5:45 am at Todd\'s and we had just completed a game of darts (Me and Tim, Team Pasta, vs. Seth and Jed, Team Matza). We lost a close decision to the Matza Boys, after which we danced like fucking maniacs and sang to some Seth-led Hebrew number.

Fred summed it nicely: "You guys are nuts."

IKEY! MIKEY! JAKE AND SAM! WE ARE THE BOYS WHO EAT NO HAM!

RONNIE! TOMMY! MARY AND LISA! WE ARE THE BOYS WHO JUST EAT PIZZA!

MAZEL TOV!

FONGOUL!