Author Topic: Movie Suggestions  (Read 97994 times)

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #630 on: October 19, 2009, 01:50:05 pm »
I know that Maurice Sendak is very vocal about his non-classical approach to children. He was unapologetic to the initial responses from parents saying it was too dark and thinks children should be treated just like adults. I haven\'t seen it and have no opinion on the movie yet, but I find his take on kiddies intriguing. The Tony Soprano voice might just ruin the flick for me though...

Quote from: SlimPickens;242506
Quote from: lilblondie;242494
Quote from: SlimPickens;242458
I think it was the music that made me keeping thinking about American Beauty through the entirety of Revolutionary Road.  Little did I know both movies were directed by Sam Mendez.  It\'s like Sam found a movie that is all the horrible life drama, pain, and regret of American Beauty, without getting bogged down and distracted with that "hope" and the joy of re-birth.

It was definitely a high quality movie, and I felt the writing was interesting and unpredictable.  But in the end I just wondered what I did to Sam Mendez to make him hate me and want to torture me?

i do agree that it was a great movie....but man it made me want to slit my wrists when it was over...not uplifting what so ever....

The guy that wrote the novel (Richard Yates) clearly had some seriously f\'ed up issues with the institution of marriage.  I wonder if it was his parents failed marriage or his 2 failed marriages that gave him those issues?

It was also historically accurate. Think he was trying to portray the fucked up nature of women\'s powerlessness over their own bodies, and what that drove them to do. The emergence of Leavitt towns and the new, often false, American dream was the other important frame. Yes, the movie was depressing as fuck. But damn good.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:50:05 pm by Gordo »
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

lilblondie

• the FU queen
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #631 on: October 19, 2009, 03:24:28 pm »
^^ that would be Levittown...just an FYI...thats where my Grandparents moved my Dad and his sisters to get up out of the Bronx back in the day and man it really to this day is a funny place...I think that he did a great portraying women back in the 50\'s and I am very grateful to be a woman today...we all should be....i 100% agree a great great movie but that ending...ouf....gotta give love to Roe v. Wade...

As for Where The Wild Things Are..it was an okay movie..I view it while wearing my clinical thereapist hat. That being said I think it does a good job of touching on a child\'s feelings or the out of control way a child can feel in the world. He is experiencing lots of levels of loss and is able to go to a place where others are experiencing the same thing and it lets him heal in some way and make it back home. I mean the book had a total of maybe 10 if that sentences in it..so you obvi have to read the between the lines...anyways I dont think it was for younger children but I did appreciate what Spike was trying to put out there...and i dont think that anyone can deny feeling like Max...one, twice or a million times in their life...
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #632 on: October 19, 2009, 03:56:03 pm »
Yes, amen to Roe v. Wade.

And thanks for a different take on Wild Things. I\'m going to see it in theaters no matter what, but I like hearing reviews from multiple angles.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #633 on: October 19, 2009, 05:00:10 pm »
Quote from: Mamalakabubadaya;244072
this is more of a warning than a suggestion. this movie is a huge disappointment and really goes no where. it is basically 90 minutes of a child who throws temper tantrums hanging out with a mangy monster who has the voice of tony soprano (i could not get past the tony soprano voice). there is really no climatic final moment or message in the movie and it gets pretty dark and depressing-not at all what you would expect from a movie that has been advertised as a family/childrens film. i would not take my 5 year old cousin to see this because i really think it would give him nightmares. not worth seeing at all.

glad i saw zombieland instead.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #634 on: October 19, 2009, 05:11:03 pm »
I have yet to see the movie.

First, I don\'t believe the Spike ever intended this to be a young childrens movie.  I remember being scared by this book as a 4 -5 year old.

I think that it\'s only in a older childs/ young adults mind that a 10 sentence book can really start to expand into the alternate reality implied by the book.

For every negative review I\'ve heard (from a lot of people/ print sources) I\'ve also heard a glowing review.  Seems like a controversial piece of art and I\'m looking forward to seeing it.

Sendak has praised the final cut which is a good sign.

ps - while in all the ad\'s the Tony Soprano voice has always seemed weird... give this to Spike, he did choose a gigantic, disgusting nose breathing beast of an actor to voice the wild thing.  Seems appropriate on paper.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:17:10 pm by SlimPickens »

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #635 on: October 19, 2009, 07:02:08 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;244126
Quote from: Mamalakabubadaya;244072
this is more of a warning than a suggestion. this movie is a huge disappointment and really goes no where. it is basically 90 minutes of a child who throws temper tantrums hanging out with a mangy monster who has the voice of tony soprano (i could not get past the tony soprano voice). there is really no climatic final moment or message in the movie and it gets pretty dark and depressing-not at all what you would expect from a movie that has been advertised as a family/childrens film. i would not take my 5 year old cousin to see this because i really think it would give him nightmares. not worth seeing at all.

glad i saw zombieland instead.

zombieland ruled!!!!!!
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #636 on: October 19, 2009, 07:38:13 pm »
Zombie land was tres good.  (except for the half hour in the middle with no zombies.  I hated that part)

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #637 on: October 20, 2009, 10:09:57 am »
I know some of these have been mentioned but this is what I\'ve gone through the last 6 months and would recommend to anyone. You can click on any of them for more information (IMDB) and all are available through Netflix:

The Wrestler
Gran Torino
Blood Simple
Brick
Taken
American Psycho
The Thing

Foreign
Let The Right One In
Lady Snowblood
Ichi The Killer
Downfall
The Lives Of Others
Blind Woman\'s Curse
Hard Boiled
Smell my mule.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #638 on: October 20, 2009, 10:16:13 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;244128
ps - while in all the ad\'s the Tony Soprano voice has always seemed weird... give this to Spike, he did choose a gigantic, disgusting nose breathing beast of an actor to voice the wild thing.  Seems appropriate on paper.

even more appropriate if the main monster bangs a bunch of whooors in the movie, which i can only assume he did
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

SlimPickens

• just the tip
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #639 on: October 20, 2009, 12:21:01 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;244170
Quote from: SlimPickens;244128

even more appropriate if the main monster bangs a bunch of whooors in the movie, which i can only assume he did

I would like you to know that you have a whooor living in 2R. Rossi, Janice Rossi

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #640 on: October 21, 2009, 11:36:04 pm »
I really liked Where the Wild Things Are.  Kinda hard to call it a kids movie but I really enjoyed it.  Maybe it was the chocolates, but I thought it was a great picture of child trying to make it through today\'s world.  I would def recommend it.  And if you have a chance try to see some of the stuff on HBO about the author, that guy is seriously fucked up, it\'s amazing that he writes childrens books.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #641 on: October 22, 2009, 01:15:55 am »
Just saw Wild Things and loved it. That\'s all.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #642 on: October 22, 2009, 10:12:05 am »
Quote from: Me!;244405
Maybe it was the chocolates

chocolates don\'t distort, they clarify.

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #643 on: October 22, 2009, 11:13:43 am »
glad to hear that the movie isnt done for little kids and i cant wait to check it out. since sendak was workin directly with Jonze i figured it wouldnt suck. at a bookstore i met and talked to Maurice Sendak a couple years ago and he signed and drew a picture in my copy of WWTA i had from childhood and then realized he had some other drawings and stuff that werent for the kiddies. probly gona go see the movie sunday in branford
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
Movie Suggestions
« Reply #644 on: October 22, 2009, 12:44:59 pm »
I agree with mamalaka that I wouldn\'t jump at the chance to bring a youngster to see it, but I would definitely see it again if any "adult-like individual" wanted to. And I guess that\'s my recommendation for all y\'all to check it out. It was hilarious too. Every Wild Thing will remind you of someone you know, in the saddest and most humorous of ways. The story was like a psycho-analytic case of toxic relationships. Good shit.