Author Topic: For all Tetris fans...  (Read 5165 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
For all Tetris fans...
« on: March 30, 2008, 11:25:42 pm »
I dedicate these videos to Giavanna, who is still the .info arcade Tetris champion.  I am leaving that record where it is.  

Now then, to settle who the world\'s greatest Tetris player ever is...

http://www.youtube.com/v/q1Eoo-JklBA&hl=en">http://www.youtube.com/v/q1Eoo-JklBA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

http://www.youtube.com/v/3KiuizmUB0k&hl=en">http://www.youtube.com/v/3KiuizmUB0k&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

http://www.youtube.com/v/A2g2n3qz25A&hl=en">http://www.youtube.com/v/A2g2n3qz25A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

Mamalakabubadaya

• http://
For all Tetris fans...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 12:16:25 am »
<<< speechless

that was amazing seth....pretty dorky, but very impressive.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
For all Tetris fans...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:59:15 am »
Have you thought about going after the World Record?

Twin Galaxies
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Wolfman

For all Tetris fans...
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 12:17:28 pm »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;184969

Twin Galaxies

Intersting thought there Drew.  I knew of Twin Galaxies but never thought to check their Tetris records.

Well, they don\'t track any records for my platform (NES), the only platforms they track are Atari, Amiga, Gameboy, and arcade.  I don\'t own any of those.  However, Good Times Emporium in Somerville (yes, the place that recently had the 200-person brawl on Easter) has Tetris arcade and I last played it about 3 weeks ago and scored in the 800,000 range which would actually place me third on the Twin Galaxy list .  Not to mention that the controls on the Tetris cabinet at good times are super shitty.  If I found a nice Tetris cabinet that someone cared for that had pinpoint responsive controls I\'m sure I could threaten the record.  This is especially true since Tetris arcade maxes out at a pretty low speed (at least for me).  The fastest it gets isn\'t as fast as the videos I just posted.  After you pass level 20 you just keep playing the same 8 levels over and over.  As long as you can get to this point, you can theoretically go forever.  

I could get that record if I wanted, but I think that having video evidence of yourself on youtube carries more recognition, prestige, and credibility than having some unknown website like Twin Galaxies.com say you played well.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:19:59 pm by Wolfman »

siflandollie

• Victory to RAGE
For all Tetris fans...
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 12:26:52 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman;184986

Twin Galaxies

However, Good Times Emporium in Somerville (yes, the place that recently had the 200-person brawl on Easter) has Tetris arcade and I last played it about 3 weeks ago and scored in the 800,000 range which would actually place me third on the .

Good Times is Skeeetttttccchhhyyyyyyyy

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
For all Tetris fans...
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:28:02 pm »

Twin Galaxies

Intersting thought there Drew.  I knew of Twin Galaxies but never thought to check their Tetris records.

Well, they don\'t track any records for my platform (NES), the only platforms they track are Atari, Amiga, Gameboy, and arcade.  I don\'t own any of those.  However, Good Times Emporium in Somerville (yes, the place that recently had the 200-person brawl on Easter) has Tetris arcade and I last played it about 3 weeks ago and scored in the 800,000 range which would actually place me third on the Twin Galaxy list .  Not to mention that the controls on the Tetris cabinet at good times are super shitty.  If I found a nice Tetris cabinet that someone cared for that had pinpoint responsive controls I\'m sure I could threaten the record.  This is especially true since Tetris arcade maxes out at a pretty low speed (at least for me).  The fastest it gets isn\'t as fast as the videos I just posted.  After you pass level 20 you just keep playing the same 8 levels over and over.  As long as you can get to this point, you can theoretically go forever.  

I could get that record if I wanted, but I think that having video evidence of yourself on youtube carries more recognition, prestige, and credibility than having some unknown website like Twin Galaxies.com say you played well.

You need to check out "King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters", a documentary about the world (arcade) Donkey Kong record. Head up to FunSpot in New Hampshire and kick some Tetris ass.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
For all Tetris fans...
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 02:37:52 pm »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;185014

Twin Galaxies

You need to check out "King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters", a documentary about the world (arcade) Donkey Kong record. Head up to FunSpot in New Hampshire and kick some Tetris ass.

:lol: Totally correct Drew.  Twin Galaxies an unknown website with less credibility than youtube?  :lol:

Seth back up your claim you can get the record and go to FunSpot or don\'t post about it anymore thanx.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

galenas

• Global Moderator
For all Tetris fans...
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 02:51:37 pm »
i always thought i was good at tetris until i saw tim play.

Wolfman

For all Tetris fans...
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 03:17:01 pm »
Quote from: galenas;185017
i always thought i was good at tetris until i saw tim play.

I taught Tim everything he knows, just ask him.  I am the Miyagi to his Karate Kid. I probably should have finagled some guitar lessons in return.

Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;185014
Head up to Funspot in New Hamphire and kick some ass.

Greatest arcade I\'ve ever been to right there.

A classic pre-show trip was made to Funspot by DavePeck, Helluvahat, and myself about 6 years ago.  We came upon a guy who was being videotaped playing a game called Zoo Keeper.  He had a crowd of about 10 people cheering him on.  Turns out he was one of the guys on the wall of fame who holds like 10 world records and he was attempting to set the record in Zoo Keeper.  It\'s an insane game and I couldn\'t even tell what was happening, just that we was moving very fast.  When he failed to set the record the crowd fell into a shocked silence, and I think his sister started to cry (no way he has a girlfriend).  Awesome stuff.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 03:17:37 pm by Wolfman »

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
For all Tetris fans...
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 03:17:33 pm »
I showed this to an avid tetris fan at work today.

"That can\'t be real! You know this guy? This is SICK!"

:lol: apparently I\'m cool just for knowing you wolf!
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
For all Tetris fans...
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 05:17:12 pm »
i love tetris. Im not very good at it but I can play it for hours.
:banguitar: :banboogy2:

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
For all Tetris fans...
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 05:41:47 pm »
Tetris for NES scores on Twin Galaxies (it was separate from the others on the site)

Most Points
Most Lines

Get it done, Wolfy... and wear a Breakfast shirt for the event.

And, by the way, Twin Galaxies is an official record keeper for the Guinness Book... not quite an unknown website.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
For all Tetris fans...
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 07:03:27 pm »
i used to play a lot of tetris on this old mac computer from circa 1990.  i believe it was called "super tetris"  i got really really good, but not to the calibar of this video.  thats sick.
DS Newbers

davepeck

• Administrator
For all Tetris fans...
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 07:10:49 pm »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;185036
Tetris for NES scores on Twin Galaxies (it was separate from the others on the site)

Most Points
Most Lines

And, by the way, Twin Galaxies is an official record keeper for the Guinness Book... not quite an unknown website.

there ya go, wolf. if you could hang with that, then you can hang with them!

Wolfman

For all Tetris fans...
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 12:05:31 am »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;185036

Most Points
Most Lines

All these Twin Galaxies records are so weird though...what is up with the bottom of the top 10 always being so weak?  The #10 record is 209,312...I AVERAGE about 250,000.  And my best is 655,000 good for second place.  I checked the record scores for Contra on NES and the #9 guy had a score that only requires finishing half the game...I mean, ANYONE who merely beats the game would have the #9 score of all time?  Weird.  I will never break 977,427 in Tetris sorry guys, but I could defnitely do 291 lines.

Also, I could easily take the Contra record...I can play all the way through Contra without getting killed once, and in a normal game I might get killed 3 times but will pick up 5-7 extra lives so I always net more lives than I lose.  Since the game restarts from level 1 when you beat it and you\'re allowed to keep playing by TG\'s rules, I could easily play on forever until I got the max score.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 12:34:29 am by Wolfman »