Author Topic: Your First Festival Experience  (Read 1944 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Your First Festival Experience
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 10:05:43 am »
My first big festival would have to be Oswego.  Memories from that include:

- A drum circle that Paul Ryan, myself and another Ryan from SCSU started with 3 guitars and peaked at well over 50 participants that including a violin and digoridoo.  I left at 2ish AM to catch some sleep and came back around 6 and it was still going on.
- Burning my ass sitting on the hot pavement waiting to run so that we could get a spot up close.
- Listening to Bruce A-Z the whole weekend because that tape was stuck in my car.

Good times had by all.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 10:28:36 am »
i\'m completely blanking on this one, so i\'ll just have to go with the first one i definitely remember, which was Big Cypress....  i know that wans\'t the first, that there were smaller, localish ones previously, i just can\'t for the life of me remember where/when they were.... which, frankly, describes the majority of the nineties, for me...

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 11:13:14 am »
Quote from: Klout;194144
also the first and last time I bought "hash" and "opium" from a black man wearing a tyedye at a concert

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAH.

I think we all have done it ONCE :)
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

postom

• let\'s go pens
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 11:24:52 am »
clifford ball, 1996.  i was 18 years old and all i brought was two changes of clothes and a pillow.  slept in the backseat of my car.

had no traffic cause one of the girls i went with grew up in plattsburgh and still lived there so we took the easy entrance in.

i\'ll never forget driving in and seeing some hippies with a sign \'WE NEED NUGS\' i was SHOCKED that anyone would advertise so blatantly about drug purchases (we were always super careful, never discussed over phones, wrote notes, anything that could ever leave a trace)....

my friend fat tony accidentally locked my keys and our ********* in the trunk and had to call AAA to get our trunk opened.  it was awesome.  first time ever taking ********* at a festival... bird almost flew into us and that\'s when i knew it had hit....

it was also my first phish show, i had 2 of their albums (i know i know) that i had been listening to non-stop for the past 2 years or so, and i thought i\'d hear a lot of stuff i knew, but i knew maybe 3 or 4 songs...

it was awesome.  i was in love.

found out later i had slept through the flatbed jam as it drove past my car.  woke up when it rained on my face cause i had the windows open.

I LOVE PHISH

oh, another funny story, my friend stepped on a piece of glass and cut open her foot.  we had to go to first aid and they gave her a tetanus shot and taped her all up.  so my friend \'shot up at the clifford ball\'.  good times. ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 11:24:52 am by postom »

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 12:08:41 pm »
omg tuna i forgot about the fractals!

those were so good.

Blackieshamps

• Blankee Dick
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 11:45:14 pm »
Quote from: Klout;194133
I started going to harvest festival and the other ghetto upstate fests when I was like 14.

I got up to HF at echo lake in 2000. Wild fucking place kind of changed my life.  psychedelic breakfast was a big part of that since that was the first time i saw them as well. used to be pretty much a grower party.  i went for a few years but it got dramatically blown up and grimier every time like most other fests.  you remember Half Step klout?
"Clown College? pfft you cant eat that!"

tyzack

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 08:21:55 am »
North American Noise Festival,

Portland Maine, (or near there - it was a farm/barn/warehouse deal), in 2002.

We were driving over one of the bridges to get there and there were signs saying that all cars were subject to search, so we freaked out and ate all the acid we had with us.

...it was a fun weekend.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Mamalakabubadaya

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 10:54:52 am »
Quote from: Blackieshamps;194661
I started going to harvest festival and the other ghetto upstate fests when I was like 14.

I got up to HF at echo lake in 2000. Wild fucking place kind of changed my life.  psychedelic breakfast was a big part of that since that was the first time i saw them as well. used to be pretty much a grower party.  i went for a few years but it got dramatically blown up and grimier every time like most other fests.  you remember Half Step klout?

wow i haven\'t thought about harvest fest in a while. i remember riding up with fink of all people in \'03 and how we had to fight with him to leave at the end. that weekend was nasty. how we all came out of that place in one piece is just funny.

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 11:05:04 am »
Quote from: kindm\'s;194164
Quote from: Klout;194144
also the first and last time I bought "hash" and "opium" from a black man wearing a tyedye at a concert

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAH.

I think we all have done it ONCE :)

:lol: anyone remember the "*********" that gavin bought from the dude on the street outside richters?
and what CAN you do, when your world is invaded by a reggaejunkiejew?!?

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 11:15:11 am »
first festival - lemonwheel.

multi-band - GOTV \'99.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 11:18:48 am »
First festival was GOTV 2000, I think. It was still in Bridgeport. Great time; I almost lost my mind. First time getting really spun in public. I remember sitting by the water making fun of all of the boats, laughing at them and heckling them. Even though they were obviously way too far away to hear me.

Sadly, I don\'t remember much of the music that weekend.
Masturbation in the MFA

ulee

• Psygned in
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 01:09:07 pm »
I was at that Clifford Ball in \'96.  My bf took more drugs than me; I remember getting some lousy shrooms, and it being really hot and sticky in the tent.  Also went to a few Reggae Fests back when they were at Stepping Stone Ranch.  Anyone going to Reggae Fest at Ninigret this July?

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 03:15:04 pm »
I was at that Clifford Ball in \'96. My bf took more drugs than me; I remember getting some lousy shrooms, and it being really hot and sticky in the tent. Also went to a few Reggae Fests back when they were at Stepping Stone Ranch. Anyone going to Reggae Fest at Ninigret this July?

Anywhere you can find a late-night drum circle, you will find Ulee ;)
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 01:15:34 am »
Quote from: Blackieshamps;194661

wow thats insane I just had a ser echo lake flash back. I think we deffinitly chilled together at a couple of them back in the day before it got blown up.  it was like that there back in the day tho everyone just chilled with everyone and crazy shit def went down! Echo Lake was only  a half an hour from O-town so we started going around 9th or 10th grade.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 01:55:20 am by Klout »