Author Topic: WTC The Movie- too soon?  (Read 2828 times)

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« on: August 03, 2006, 01:49:12 pm »
I have seen many ads for this and haven\'t been sure how to feel about it.  I personally didn\'t know anyone that died or was seriously effected by the event.  My sister lived in the city at the time, but was on the other side of town.  SO I guess to anyone who did have family they lost, is this too soon?
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 03:58:01 pm »
I didn\'t lose any family, but I was working about 12 blocks away when it happened.  I knew several people inside.
I bothers me to see people profitting off of this.  Part of me wants to it lose money in the worst way as a big fuck you to those greedy hollywood bastards.
The other part of me realizes that even here in CT people are forgetting this already, and maybe the country needs a reminder.
The way our government has abused this for their agenda\'s while our "national security" is still a joke is shameful.  
I don\'t think I\'ll be able to watch the movie either way.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:08:19 pm by wildcoyote »
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 04:42:40 pm »
It may be too soon for folks that were directly affected by 9/11.  But I believe that someone had to break the hollywood seal on this subject.  There are too many amazing stories from that day to leave its portrayals to documentaries alone.

Yes, someone may profit from this, or they may lose a boat load of money.  My point is that someone believed enough in this project to take that risk.  I like the fact that it was written by John McLoughlin who is a police officer (I assume NYPD, from the photos I\'ve seen).  And I also like that O.Stone directed it.  While Stone does get way outta control at times, I believe that his resume makes him a very logical choice.

I definitely want to see this movie, and hope that I can get to it while it is still in theaters (however I say that about 15 movies per year... and usually only make it to 4 or 5).

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 04:58:42 pm »
It was inevitable that there was going to be at least one motion picture portrayal of the events leading up to, during, and the aftermath of 9/11/01.

And believe it or not its been just about 5 years.....

Anyone who was directly affected by the events of that day have the ability to see or not see the movie....

I do not see anything wrong with the timing or the release of this film....

I do have a problem with the stupid name for the new building they plan on building in the footprint of the WTC.  Freedom Tower.....  Fucking Lame.
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 05:09:53 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens
There are too many amazing stories from that day to leave its portrayals to documentaries alone.

There were many actions of heroism and extreme selfless bravery.  These actions are not to be forgotten either.  My initial reaction to anything 9-11 related is always very negative.  The heros, especially the fallen, deserve their tribute.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:13:43 pm by wildcoyote »
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 06:05:24 pm »
tribute, yes.   hollywoodized big budget movie thats probably going to make some dude millions?  this infuriates me and i can think of nothing that is more tasteless and offensive than this movie.
Postcount +1.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 06:43:54 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb
tribute, yes.   hollywoodized big budget movie thats probably going to make some dude millions?  this infuriates me and i can think of nothing that is more tasteless and offensive than this movie.

have you seen this movie?

how can you say that it doesn\'t pay respect to the two Port Authority policemen who the movie is about? they seem to be thrilled with the way the movie came out and displayed there situation.

this movie has nothing to do with why it happened or what happened after. its about 2 Port Authority policemen with the will to live while doing their duty and trying to save anothers life.

I believe that Oliver Stone made this movie less Hollywood and more about the brave souls who risked their lives that day and the fortunate opportunity that 2 of these guys had to get out alive.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 06:44:51 pm by Spacey »
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 06:46:55 pm »
okay.  regardless.  my answer is:  yes, too soon.
Postcount +1.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 06:54:27 pm »
I don\'t know if it is too soon or not. Nor do I think I will see this movie in the theater.

What I do know is that personally I have very different mixed emotions about the entire series of events that are 9/11. I know that it is a very difficult situation to bring up and that if anyone attempts to make a movie about 9/11 it needs to be with grace, style and respect.

but, lets not forget that things like this have been happening in the world prior to it happening to us in 9/11. did we care then?
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 07:51:48 pm »
If O.Stone had made a WTC movie that focused on the politics I too would have been disgusted.  But since he focuses on the lives of heros, I think its a good way for this event to be documented by the film industry.  

Sept.11th is probably the most important event to happen to the US in the last 50 years and artists of every medium have been allowed to express their opinions about it except those artist attached to the film industry.  

Sure the whole profiting off a tragedy aspect is extremely sticky, and I kinda feel this:  

"Paramount has selected four charities to receive 10% of the U.S. box office for the first five days."

is a good intention, but a poor execution.

10% of total box office would have been better
10% of gross, preferrable

Anyway... I think everyone, particularly those directly effected by that day have every right to boycott & bad mouth this movie.

But its not going to change me wanting to see it.

davepeck

• Administrator
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 07:57:18 pm »
i\'ll try to say a couple random things here without getting too worked up..

1 - i knew no one who was in either building, or in the pentagon on 9/11.

2 - i think it\'s retarded to judge a movie without seeing it. i haven\'t seen this movie, so i have no comment on whether it\'s offensive, in bad taste, a great movie, etc.

3 - i have heard really good things about the movie, and i do want to see it.

4 - where was this thread when United 93 came out? or was that somehow less significant?

5 - i definitely agree with wildcoyote about people forgetting quickly.. in the weeks that followed 9/11, people were different. people seemed to have an appreciation for life that they never had before. i noticed almost instantaneously that people were going out of their way to be nicer to complete strangers - holding doors, saying hello, etc.. i think we\'re pretty much back to where we were as far as that goes..

6 - profitting off of 9/11 is nothing new. profitting off of 9/11 began on 9/12. you remember what 9/12 was, don\'t you? 9/12 was the day that the american flag became "cool". you know, the day that it became a rule that the more flags you had, the more american you were and the more proud of your country you were.. "power of pride"! "we will never forget"!! american pride catch phrases on t-shirts, bumper stickers, hats, stationary, etc.. red white and blue all over the place! look, instead of tinting your car windows, you can get an american flag screen print on there!! there were shitloads of 9/11-related dvds that came out within a month of the event, because every idiot with a camera that day wanted to make a buck off their footage. shit, just go to amazon and search for 9/11. this is nothing new.

that\'s all..

delfunk1

• South Shore BreakfastHead
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 08:22:13 pm »
so i guess.........everyone see the movie in the first 5 days!
This isn\'t who it would be if it wasn\'t who it is.

"Part of me suspects that I\'m a loser, and the other part of me thinks I\'m God Almighty. " -John Lennon

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 12:41:08 pm »
Quote from: davepeck

4 - where was this thread when United 93 came out? or was that somehow less significant?

Of course United 93 was less significant (tounge in cheek).  I mean it was just a plane of innocent people who stopped part of a terrorist plot to crash the plane into the white house (tounge in cheek). The only people who died on United Flight 93 were the passengers of the plane and some scumbag terrorists (tounge in cheek).  I mean its not like it happened in NYC, and not nearly as tragic or big as 2 planes flying into and destroying a national monument for capitolism and progress, not to mention a ton of human casualties (tounge in cheek)...........

But really United Flight 93 became much less significant to the other events of 9/11/01 when that crazy Canadian Neil Young wrote that stupid song "Let\'s Roll" about the heroic efforts of the passengers of that doomed flight (tounge bitten off in mouth and now loged in cheek)
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 12:46:22 pm »
As the person who started this thread, I will answer, the United 93 question, I honestly don\'t remember that movie coming out, I may have been on the road at the time and didn\'t see or hear anything about it.  I have been seeing ads for this movie non stop, and every time I do it makes me think. As I said I did not lose anyone on that day.  So I was just curious as to what some people may think who were effected by the days events
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

SlimPickens

• just the tip
WTC The Movie- too soon?
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 12:57:54 pm »
One difference b/w United 93 and the WTC movie is that the makers of United 93 got the blessing from all the families affected by that event, which doesn\'t appear to be true of the WTC movie.