Author Topic: Tim Hardaway Hates Teh Gays  (Read 4720 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Tim Hardaway Hates Teh Gays
« on: February 15, 2007, 07:40:19 am »
\'I AM HOMOPHOBIC\': \'I don\'t like gay people and I don\'t like to be around gay people,\' Tim Hardaway said.

Retired Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway, known for his candor, said on a radio show Wednesday that he would not want a gay player on his team, would ask for him to be traded, and went so far as to say: ``You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don\'t like gay people and I don\'t like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don\'t like it. It shouldn\'t be in the world or in the United States.\'\'

Hardaway was a guest with host/Herald columnist Dan Le Batard on Sports Talk 790 The Ticket, and at the end of the interview, Le Batard asked Hardaway how he would deal with a gay player, in light of last week\'s disclosure by retired NBA center John Amaechi that he is gay.

\'\'First of all, I wouldn\'t want him on my team,\'\' Hardaway replied. ``And second of all, if he was on my team, I would really distance myself from him because, uh, I don\'t think that is right. I don\'t think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room. But stuff like that is going on and there\'s a lot of other people I hear that are like that and still in the closet and don\'t want to come out of the closet, but you know I just leave that alone.\'\'

Asked what he would do if he had a gay teammate, Hardaway said he would ask for the player to be traded or to be bought out of his contract.

\'\'Something has to give,\'\' he said. ``And I think the majority of players would ask for him to be traded or they would want to be traded. Or buy him out of his contract and just let him go. Something has to give. If you have 12 other ballplayers in your locker room that are upset and can\'t concentrate and always worried about him in the locker room or on the court it\'s going to be hard for your teammates to win and accept him as a teammate.\'\'

Hardaway is the first NBA player -- current or former -- to make anti-gay statements since Amaechi\'s news came out. In fact, most of the players and coaches quoted last week, including Heat center Shaquille O\'Neal, were supportive of Amaechi and said they would not be bothered by a gay teammate.

What if the gay player were a great player, Hardaway was asked.

\'\'If he were that great something would still have to give,\'\' he said. ``People would feel uncomfortable with that. If you\'re not gay, nobody in that locker room would feel comfortable with that person on your team.\'\'

Amaechi probably will not be surprised when he reads Hardaway\'s comments. He said in a phone interview Tuesday he believes there is still a lot of homophobia in society and in professional sports locker rooms.

\'\'We are much further behind than I\'d like,\'\' Amaechi said. ``People in America and England [where Amaechi grew up] would like to think racism is over, sexism is over, and homophobia is over, but it\'s not. My coming out will show that gay people don\'t all look like Jack from Will and Grace. Some of us are big, athletic men, and that should be OK.\'\'

Amaechi said he had not heard from a single former teammate or NBA player, that he had only heard from former coach Doc Rivers. He challenged straight athletes \'\'who feel able\'\' to stand up for gay rights.

\'\'I would like professional male athletes to be active supporters, and that doesn\'t mean putting a rainbow decal on their car,\'\' he said. ``It means letting other guys in the locker room know that it\'s not OK to make gay jokes, that it\'s hurtful, and that it\'s not OK to be homophobic.

``But it\'s hard to get straight guys to step up. When men stood by women during the suffrage movement, they were called progressive and bold. When whites stood by blacks, they were heroes. But a straight guy standing up for a gay guy faces discrimination, and that\'s a big part of the battle we\'re fighting.\'\'

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/16700045.htm

wow. :sigh:

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 07:49:41 am »
well, his career is over.

``But it\'s hard to get straight guys to step up. When men stood by women during the suffrage movement, they were called progressive and bold. When whites stood by blacks, they were heroes. But a straight guy standing up for a gay guy faces discrimination, and that\'s a big part of the battle we\'re fighting.\'\'

I have no problem supporting anyones orientation. To each his own. Is that such a hard concept? Just don\'t be going at it hardcore in public, man/woman, man/man, woman/woman, doesn\'t matter, no one wants to see you all over each other. Get a room.

awaiting someone to say woman/woman is ok. :sigh: :P
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 07:57:32 am »
i wonder how tim would feel about someone saying "i don\'t like Successful and Attractive African Americans, and if a Successful and Attractive African American were on my team, i would distance myself from them"...

what a complete fucking tool. someone should tell him no one would want to manrape his ugly ass anyways..

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 08:32:00 am »
^^^ i was thinking the same thing
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 08:41:03 am »
Quote from: davepeck;134989
i wonder how tim would feel about someone saying "i don\'t like Successful and Attractive African Americans, and if a Successful and Attractive African American were on my team, i would distance myself from them"...

well said.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 11:05:22 am »
Tim Hardaway= definitely gay.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 12:05:42 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;134987
well, his career is over.

no shit, he\'s retired.

i don\'t see what the big deal is.  there are millions of homophobic people across the country, i\'m sure most of you have dealt w/ someone like this personally many times before.  i know i have.  i don\'t see whats so shocking and appalling about it.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 12:08:59 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;135033
i don\'t see what the big deal is.  there are millions of homophobic people across the country, i\'m sure most of you have dealt w/ someone like this personally many times before.  i know i have.  i don\'t see whats so shocking and appalling about it.

sure, but most of the ignorant people i know aren\'t famous and don\'t go on the radio and exclaim their ignorance.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 01:08:39 pm »
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 02:06:07 pm »
just listened to Jim Rome for a bit to get his(and the clones) take on it.  its a shitty thing to say, sure.  i\'ll give you that.  still don\'t see it as that big of a deal though, i\'m sure there are plenty of other fellow basketball players who feel the same way just didn\'t speak out about it.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 03:13:52 pm »
well see the thing is, tim hardaway has just as much of a right to hate gay people as gay people have to be gay....

sucks for people like us who think he is wrong, but thats life.
Postcount +1.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 03:18:09 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;135062
just listened to Jim Rome for a bit to get his(and the clones) take on it.  its a shitty thing to say, sure.  i\'ll give you that.  still don\'t see it as that big of a deal though, i\'m sure there are plenty of other fellow basketball players who feel the same way just didn\'t speak out about it.

it just goes to show no class. money can buy you objects but it\'ll never buy you common sense
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 03:22:47 pm »
I applaud him for standing by his convictions.
I may think his views are shitty but he does have a right to speak them. I
 would rather know how idiotic someone is than have them feed me BS and PC answers.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 03:44:44 pm »
Quote from: leith;135094
I applaud him for standing by his convictions.
I may think his views are shitty but he does have a right to speak them.

absolutely, 100%

that being said,

Tact (noun): Sensitive mental touch; peculiar skill or faculty; nice perception or discernment; ready power of appreciating and doing what is required by circumstances.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 04:13:28 pm »
paul your avatar makes me uncomfortable and i dont know why.
Postcount +1.