Author Topic: What was your first PB show like?  (Read 3701 times)

SkyePrizm

• separator
What was your first PB show like?
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2003, 03:03:17 am »
The choice is getting slightly obvioius.....I enjoyed the comparisons, tho, very amusing.  It\'s a bit weird how I ended up hanging out with those people, but the pb crowd is probably more my style anyways.  (someone who thinks the freudian slip is a costume quite doesn\'t comprehend the whole meaning of having fun on halloween.....)  So I love Halloween....and I really want to put my costume to good use....but I heard there\'s a "theme"??  Must I stick to this theme?

GruveBlender

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2003, 05:04:57 pm »
My first show was on Ocean Beach CA @ Winstons 10/10/03. I feel bad that I am a "late bloomer" as I loved their set, style, crowd and the whole thing in general. There were many kynd people there, and I have to say this was one of the best shows I\'ve seen in a long while....
dey rokka da moast...

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2004, 01:40:19 am »
Reloading this thread for some new people who haven\'t seen it, and for anyone who hasn\'t responded.  This is a core thread.  What do the people say?

phaddybat

• http://www.gregpeeler.com
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2004, 03:39:45 am »
March 5th, 2002 – The Metro Café; Washington DC
I: The Chase, Lit, Rufus > No Glove No Love, Superfly Phaddy Fat > Wild Pack of Asscracks, Fairy, Spunk

opening for Jacob Freds Jazz Odyssey

I\'ve never been to the Metro before of since. interesting little place.
Honestly I had only heard maybe 2 PB shows by then, and the only song I recognized was Chase.
still, I was definately impressed. I remember thinking: "Damn, the guitar player plays a LOT of notes."  
by the end of their set, I was telling everybody at the merch table that they HAD to come up and play Baltimore.
Oddly enough, I still say this.

What I actually remember most from that night was the guys just dancing around busting a GROOVE during jacob freds set, they were just getting DOWN.
Ended up talking to Tim about my everpresent Disco Ball for about half an hour too. he ended up giving me a copy of II for party favors rendered.
may long you live, and high you fly.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2004, 01:28:23 am »
May 12th, 2001 - The Met - Providence, RI
I: See The Light > May Fly Disarray, LDZ > Peaches En Regalia > What The Funk > Taboo Or Not Taboot, Merge > Octopus\'s Garden, Son Of Simpleton
II: Attraction To Shade Ditty > Tribal Funk Affliction, Legend of a Mind, The Grand Scheme Of Things > Drum Solo, TGSOT > Language Of The Gods, Lit, No Glove No Love

Gov\'t Mule played at Lupo\'s that night and the PB show was a free aftershow for all the people at Lupo\'s.  I was there with my brother so we figured we\'d check it out.  It was funny because we were standing near the back entrance to the Met at the end of the Mule show, so the band basically started as soon as we walked through the door.  I was tired as hell halfway through the second set so we left a little early, but I had plenty of time to \'see the light\' as someone had already mentioned.  I bought their first CD that night and signed the mailing list and have been hooked since.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2004, 03:32:06 am »
Originally posted by phaddybat
March 5th, 2002 – The Metro Café; Washington DC

by the end of their set, I was telling everybody at the merch table that they HAD to come up and play Baltimore.
Oddly enough, I still say this.

Cool, that "everybody" was me!  Not cool about not playing Baltimore though.  You should email the band and tell them that they need to play Baltimore, if you haven\'t already.

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2004, 05:28:20 pm »
January 16th, 1999 The Brickhouse East Haven, CT

I: Bouree > Grand Scheme of Things > Bouree, Come Softly > See the Light > Magic Fingers, Puppetry

II: Garcian Fishbowl, Born To Be Wild > Attraction to Shade Diddy > Frankly Po Zest, LDZ > Drunk Monk Bar

III: No Quarter > Walk on the Wild Side, No Glove No Love, Superfly Phaddy Fat

I\'m lucky enough, being a lifelong Stavener (hold the applause), to have seen the Breakfast, then known by some other name which escapes me, at their original stomping ground on Main St. in Staven, The Brickhouse, on Saturday nights throughout the winter and spring of 1999. If you there, you know what I\'m talking about. If you weren\'t, it was a total free-for-all. Three sets from 10 to 2, a highly-inordinate amount of underage drinking, and a band that still had vocal kinks to be worked out, but which obviously had immense musical ability that they displayed with an even mix of originals and covers. It was pretty obvious to us in attendance that these four guys were merely scratching the surface. Despite the fact that the band was in the larvae stage at this time, these shows were always well-attended (75-100 was the usual turnout) with raucous crowds, featuring many of Staven\'s finest shitheads.

The personal highlights for my first show included Magic Fingers, an early example of humor infusion; Garcian, the first Breakfast song I ever loved; LDZ, which was the closest thing they had to a straight rock song at the time; and No Quarter, for obvious reasons.

I went to nearly every Brickhouse show and my love for the band increased with each. Eventually, as expected, they moved on to larger places. But the Brickhouse was the only place in Staven that the Breakfast regularly played and it was only fitting that it all started there, mere minutes from where everybody in the band, and at the time all their fans, lived. When they played Toad\'s a few months later, the Staven faithful turned out in full force and new fans from the surrounding towns followed. There\'s no question that a good portion of the Breakfast\'s early success in the New Haven area derived from the energetic Brickhouse crowds, as we took our boisterous manner of positive expression in relation to the band to such area dives like the Short Beach Saloon, Planet Mars, the Star Cafe, and of course, Rudy\'s, only to have others see and hear the reasons for our enthusiasm, then join along. But of course, most of it had to do with band and their immediate ability to play a variety of tunes in a loud, yet sharp manner.

Here\'s an additonal fact: although that was the first time I saw The Breakfast, it wasn\'t the first time, I saw Tim, Ron and Adrian play. That came in June of 1995 at East Haven High School, when the trio opened for Staven death-metal band Chromatis for a free show that took place after school, on the last day of school, which was also the last day of high school altogther for myself and fellow Breakfast fans Lisa Pec and Justin Maturo. Tim, Ron and Adrian would go on to graduate, along with Dave Pec, in (Prom) 97, but not before the trio treated those in the Staven High auditorium to instrumental rendititions of classic-rock tunes such as Fire and Black Dog. And to top it off, they got an encore, which was Sweet Leaf, with infamous Stavener Jeff Neill on screaming vocals. I left that show with two primary thoughts: 1. those guys can play and 2. those guys need to write their own songs.

Flash forward to 1997 and the birth of Tim and Adrian\'s lite-jazz projects, Magic and Moka Jam, then to 1998 and the Breakfast-predecessor, Naked Society, with Ron now officially aboard as future Breakfast songs like Garcian were debuted instrumentally, then finally to 1999, the introduction of Jordan and vocals, the birth of Psychedelic Breakfast (I knew it would come to me), and my friend Justin Maturo saying to me on Jan. 12 1999, "I saw those guys from Naked Society last week at the Brickhouse. They have a keyboard player, a new name, and some new songs. They were great. They\'re playing tonight. You should check them out."

The rest, as they say, is history.

Also for the record, the Brickhouse sponsored a slow-pitch softball team during the spring of 99 that featured many of the Breakfast\'s early fans, including myself, as manager and pinch hitter. We started slow, then hit our stride to finish 15-14 before losing in the first round of the playoffs. Although that has virtually no literal implications on this post, and regardless of the fact that no members of the band were on the team, I felt it prudent to mention this solely for the purpose of official documentation and full disclosure of the many ways in which the Brickhouse played a part in our lives. Lastly for the record, I haven\'t stepped in the front door since the Breakfast\'s last show there.

Pitch

colinh9

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2004, 03:41:22 pm »
Well the date was last night. I found out monday that the breakfast were playing in the city, and my friend was going to the show most likely because his brother knew jason press in rezi. Anyways having heard the breakfast, and having listened to some of their shows, I immediately wanted to go. I have to say now that I was absolutely blown away by the show last night, everything was just incredible. This band has everything. It all had me in complete awe. This band is just out of this world :)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2004, 03:50:45 pm »
welcome to the board colin!
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

colinh9

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2004, 04:22:15 pm »
Originally posted by FrankZappa
welcome to the board colin!

Thanks, I\'ve actaully been registered for around a year, as I said I knew of them before, but it really took seeing them to just open my eyes on how incredible they are. Such an amazing show.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2004, 09:51:22 pm »
This was my first show too.

Wolfman, maybe someone does have a tape of this show.  Dave?

Someone must have been taping.

I was not into this scene at all until I walked through the magical Butterfield basement doors by mistake and fell in love with a band from CT.  Could not believe they were only a year old and were playing shows in basements.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2004, 10:12:12 pm »
Originally posted by davepeck
so what happened to you since \'99?? :confused:

come on out to the freakout.. it\'ll be the best halloween you\'ve ever had!

who is skyeprism from Staven?

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
Re: What was your first PB show like?
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2004, 10:15:18 pm »
Originally posted by Wolfman
Where was your first show?  When?  
What happened?  Were you hooked?

I have a great story for this.  The show was 11/19/99 at Butterfield Dorm at UMass.  All week I had seen signs around campus for Psychedelic Breakfast in Butterfield.  Thing is, I had no idea it was a band.  I thought they were going to decorate Butterfield with psychedelia and serve breakfast at 10PM and the whole idea was that you would show up tripping and eat breakfast in the middle of the night and be totally confused.  I really thought this.  I also thought it was the dumbest idea I ever heard, and had no intention of going...

So that night I\'m walking past Butterfield and I heard music inside, and I thought I\'d go in to check it out.  That decision altered the course of my life in drastic ways.  What happened that night was the most incredible live music experience I have ever been a part of.  The band was SO GOOD and the whole dorm was down there but nobody had any idea who the band was or what exactly they were getting into.  Next thing you know, kids are screaming their heads off after every song, stomping on the floor, running into walls, pig-piling on each other, all because this band is playing the most incredible set of music anyone has ever seen.  The fact that it was so out of the blue also contributed greatly.  Everyone just stood there with there jaw literally hanging out during the jams, then went apeshit after each song.  (I love seeing people now who are obviously seeing PB for the first time, standing there with their mouth slackjawed, unable to move or speak.  It happens all the time.)  Finally, at about 2:30am, they finished up, and came out for an encore.  It was so obscenely loud in there before the encore that the chancellor of UMass, who lives half a mile from Butterfield, heard the racket and called the police.  The police came after the first encore and had no hope of restoring order, so PB came out and did another encore in an attempt to satiate the savage beasts they had just created.  After the show, the band partied all night long in the dorm, and were deemed by everyone there to be the 4 coolest guys who had ever walked the earth.  Thus began the Butterfield legend.

I came to a couple of immediate realizations after this show:  
1.  I kept saying to myself and to everyone I spoke to: "I have seen the light, and it\'s name is Psychedleic Breakfast".  (Didn\'t know "See the Light" was a song at the time)  I just knew, just immediately and completely knew that this was everything I had ever looked for in a band.  
2.  As a big Phish fan who has only been able to see the band since they have played huge shows, I had always wondered what it would have been like to see them at Nectar\'s or a UVM basement.  I think most Phish fans go through this.  As soon as that PB show was over, I knew that I never again had to wonder what it was like to see Phish in a UVM basement.  I now knew exactly what it looked like.
3.  I kidded myself by saying that if PB ever asked me to be in the band, I would drop out of school immediately and join them.  At the time I was thinking of this in terms of as a saxophone player, not tour manager, but regardless, the crazy part is that 2 years later, it happened.  

11/19/99 was my first PB show, and to date the craziest concert I have ever been at.  It was the first PB show for just about everyone there.  The people who saw it became the UMass crew that would attend thousands of combined shows over the next few years and create the Butterfield legend.  Who knows what my life would be right now if I had not stumbled in there that night.  I would give $1000 for a tape or $5000 for a video, but I\'ll have the memories forever.  (Not to mention the fantastically altered life.)

So what happened with you and your first show?

Wolf

This was my first show too.

Wolfman, maybe someone does have a tape of this show. Dave?

Someone must have been taping.

I was not into this scene at all until I walked through the magical Butterfield basement doors by mistake and fell in love with a band from CT. Could not believe they were only a year old and were playing shows in basements.