Author Topic: What was your first PB show like?  (Read 3794 times)

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
What was your first PB show like?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2003, 12:53:48 pm »
Well my introduction to PB was a process.  Back in 99, I was just getting into the live music scene.  I was a late bloomer when it came to Phish, MMW, PB, and all the wonderful artists out there making their own music, and expressing themselves originally.

First piece:  Went to a bar in Branford, Lakeview Tavern.  The guy who owns it originally had a bar in Milford called Allegras.  So I would go up to Lakeview and hang everyonce and a while.  One night there was an open mike jam for a local drummer (formerly of FU Jazzboy) Paul Mills, who was moving to Japan to pursue more music.  Tim and Jordan came in and played a few tunes.  I was completely blown away.  I got to talkin to Tim and found out that they were in a band, Psychedelic Breakfast.  I got a flyer with some dates on it, and I was gone.

Piece 2: Later on that year, getting close to the end of 1999, I was at Rudy\'s in New Haven for a little FU Jazzboy gig.  Well since Paul had moved on to pursue other music in other lands, Jazzboy had an interim drummer, who turned out to be Adrian.  I was blown away by Adrian.  This young man, was keeping up with 2 local live music heros (Jay Rowe and Ronnie Lawrence).  Actually he was showing them up.  I saw Tim and Jordan come into Rudys\' to tape Adrians sit-in.  After this I knew I needed to see this Psychedelic Breakfast.

First PB show:11/27/99 Donovan’s Reef Branford, CT

I: Garcian Fishbowl*, Touch Me > What the Funk, The Chicken > No Glove No Love, Uncle Freddy > Puppetry, Lady Madonna, Bugs, Mooboo’s Voodoo (Episode 2)

II: Superfly Phaddy Fat, Crossroads, Son of Simpleton, Phaddy Boom Baddy, Give Up the Funk > See the Light** > Memory of a Free Festival

* Who are You? tease
** Us and Them tease

Completely blown away by what I saw.  The band, while still noticably young, was playing out of their skins.  I knew that there was something special about this group (fans of the band that were there too)....I was rockin out, and was approached by and introduced to Mr. Freddie Wah.  Kind Kind Kind, is all I have to say about that.   Great band, Great Music, Great vibes all around....

I have seen quite a few PB shows,  I would guess over 30, but could even be closer to 50....and I have said this everytime I have seen them, and this is no exageration, EVERY TIME!....."This band is better then the last time I have seen them."  It is true, and I am sure it will continue to be true....Keepin On Keepin ON.
See you in Danbury!!!!!!
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2003, 05:33:47 pm »
im going out on a limb and predicting no vortex of any sort this time at the cbc!!better work a coupla extra hours that week..cant wait!
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

realisthis

• I Got 99 Problems, But...
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/realisthis?listid=0
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2003, 03:17:21 am »
Mind blowing...
How real is that?

dogpatch

• Hummm....nummmhum!
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/dogpatch_
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2003, 10:27:17 am »
Camp Creek 2001...with my sister....we were down in a field and we heard some reggae music(Rusfus) from the tent and we were like \'\'This might be good..\'\' and we were blown away by the band. Played \'\'Space Odity\'\' and that was the first spiritual experience I ever had at a show, it was incredible.
What is it! Who is it!

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2003, 04:24:18 am »
I wish I could remember the exact date, it was between April 26 and May 2nd 1999.  It was at Toad\'s Place and I had never seen them before.  I had always been curious cause I had worked next to the Brick (crack...I mean) House at CVS and always seen them advertised....I probably can\'t remember the date cause I like to block that night out cause its the night I first met my ex boyfriend.  But I do remember thinking they were amazing.....  and so I think my love of jam bands began.  Before that, my favorite band had been third eye blind (i cant believe I admitted that), a year later my favorite band became Phish. So it sorta began my evolution.  And I also I will never forget that night cause its also the first night I met my friend Chris.  After that, i saw them two more times.  The last time being their New Year\'s Eve show in 1999 at the Union cafe in Hartford.  I was really drunk, but I know they put on a great show....Tim is real amazing.  I\'ve heard they have gotten way better since then and I really look forward to seeing them soon.  So, i am going to make a point to getting around to it.  It\'s really good to see local boys do good.....

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2003, 06:42:27 am »
so what happened to you since \'99?? :confused:

come on out to the freakout.. it\'ll be the best halloween you\'ve ever had!

tiedyetoga

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2003, 12:43:44 pm »
Originally posted by davepeck
so what happened to you since \'99?? :confused:

come on out to the freakout.. it\'ll be the best halloween you\'ve ever had!

:thumbsup :thumbsup

The Arm

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2003, 01:09:28 pm »
My first PB show was sometime during September of 1999 at Great Woods (Tweeter Center) in Mass. They were good. They played Funky Bitch if I recall.

I then saw them at The Ale House in Portland Me. The Arm was hooked.

PB is fun like round things.
The Arm

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2003, 05:15:48 am »
actually, dave, i just might, who knows.  Its seems like it will be a good time to be had.  I love halloween.  i love dressing up.  I was going to this yale graduate school party thing, but i dont know..... i might.  it\'s really hard for me to get away from my "Master".

Oh, and since \'99.....it\'s a loooong story.  Basically consiting of my boyfriend has no taste in music!  But maybe if someone like Chris invited me to go with him sometime, perhaps I\'d go...... perhaps you should suggest this to him cause I know you all are friends....

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2003, 10:52:33 am »
i think you mean federal cafe right sweetie?i live right by where your talkin about.i think timmy should do a diesel at the brickhouse.
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2003, 10:55:10 am »
nice! ...or at the new nata\'s when they move in right next door!

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2003, 11:45:04 am »
March 12th, 1999 Toad’s Place New Haven, CT
I: Superfly Phaddy Fat, The Vermont Song, The Grand Scheme of Things* > Peaches en Regalia
* First Time Played

this had to be my first pb show, but I know i saw mokijam before this as far back as fall/winter 97.

As I recall, the first time I saw moki jam it was at toads place, and I thought the band was good, the percussionist was great, but the band was eh, whatever.
I talked with them afterwards and they were all cool, and I went to see them a few  times around new haven. Then I heard they broke up. Dave pec told me one day that tim adrien and ron had left the band, and we\'re starting up something new. not moki jam, not naked society, but they were jamming with this organist from staven and it was up there with phish now. This I had to see, but I waited for  whatever reasons, and it was still a few months before the toads show. I distintly remember the day dave told be about pb, and my second moki jam show though, so here they are:

It was a beutiful day at school as I was walking across the quad, and Dave cameup to me and said "I just got rift! weight is the best song ever! what an album" Dave had just started listening to phish, and he knew little compared to me at the time. That all changed in about a week and a half. daves now somewhere around 80+ phish shows and I\'m at 32; and we started with the same show! Anyway, dave kept going on and on about tims new band and that I had to check them out or I would be kicking myself for every show I missed that I could have seen. I waited, and I\'ve been kicking myself for that. I figure I missed a good 20 shows at the beginging between the time dave told me and my first show, but once I started going, I didn\'t stop untill the point of work interfering.  Life was good when I would get out of work, and go see pb as part of my normal day. Ah, college.. seening pb 3-6 times a week. what a time in life.

Anyway, my second moki jam show was billed as "jazz night at toads place." I went with a girl I worked with at the college radio station bc we could get in for free, and I remembered that the percusioninst was really good. Moki jam was one of about 5 bands, and was only the 2nd or 3rd on. I didnt recognise ANYONE there. Probably because there were about 30 people in there, including all the bands and crew. it was a weird night in toads place; no gate, and all the tables were moved out in front of the stage, like a jazz club. We grabed a table right in front of the stage, and then I saw tim. went over to talk to him and he said a line I\'ll never forget: "Hey, after we play, make as much noise as you can, because we only get to do an encore if the croud likes us, and we figured out peaches in regalia, and we want to play it. So please clap." Peaches was one of the only zappa sogs I knew at the time, so we were clapping even if they sounded bad, but intypical form, they turned the croud and got to do there encore. I wish I had a camera or video camera at the time, but I\'ll never forget the look on there faces as they walked back out on the stage to play peaches. Tim never looked so happy.
The rest of that show was all jazz stuff i didn\'t know at the time, but I di remember phantastic television (or whatever the name of that song is), and Simpleton were played (not son of simpleton, but simpleton). damn... that was five years ago!!!
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2003, 08:55:06 pm »
Originally posted by SkyePrizm
I was going to this yale graduate school party thing, but i dont know..... i might.  

Yale graduate school party....Fonghoulish Freakout....
Yale graduate school party....Fonghoulsih Freakout....
Future Presidents....Fonghoulish psychedelia....
Jacket and tie...Tie-dye....
Martinis....Magic Hats....
War on Drugs....Hemp....
I\'m with Bush....I hate Bush....
Nose in the air....mind in the air....

Skye, this is not just a choice of 1 night\'s activities.  This is a major life decision!  Choose wisely!

iambmat2

• http://
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2003, 02:48:14 pm »
99? \'99?!

...we\'re not that old school up in herrre (in Central NY). We didn\'t see the light until February of this year (way to go EC).

But I do think I had an out of body experience when my PB cherry was popped... I vaguely recall barking "PUSSIES!!!" at the band when I was in this wierd (hasn\'t happened since) alcohol-induced dream-like pseudo dimentia state. I think they may have been amused. I was.

But I bark strange things when my mind is blown. PB blew my mind. Ikes, I can\'t stop now.
Sucha \'Fuhkin\' Axl.

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2003, 06:11:10 pm »
Originally posted by Wolfman

Yale graduate school party....Fonghoulish Freakout....
Yale graduate school party....Fonghoulsih Freakout....
Future Presidents....Fonghoulish psychedelia....
Jacket and tie...Tie-dye....
Martinis....Magic Hats....
War on Drugs....Hemp....
I\'m with Bush....I hate Bush....
Nose in the air....mind in the air....

Skye, this is not just a choice of 1 night\'s activities.  This is a major life decision!  Choose wisely!

I agree that this is a major life decision, and there is really only one correct way to go --- the freakout!! but, not to get too serious and political on ya or anything, not everyone going to the freakout hates bush. in fact, i might even dare to suggest that more people will hate bush at the yale party b/c of the typically liberal slant in acadamia. all in all tho wolfman, i think your characterizations really help make this decision a lot easier for our friend skye!

(and skye.... even if chris doesn\'t ask you to go, the guy:girl ratio at psyche b concerts is usually in our favor!) :)

di