Author Topic: RIAA: you aren\'t authorized to rip your CDs  (Read 533 times)

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
RIAA: you aren\'t authorized to rip your CDs
« on: December 11, 2007, 09:06:00 am »
The RIAA has told a court that ripping your CDs to MP3 format is "unauthorized" and illegal, in a brief filed with the Arizona US District Court where Atlantic Records is suing Jeffrey and Pamela Howell. The last time this issue came up, in the Grokster Supreme Court case, the RIAA\'s lawyer said that ripping CDs was not illegal and was implicitly authorized by the record labels.

http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/2007/12/riaa-files-supplemental-brief-in.html

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 09:11:23 am »
they\'ve had this position for a little while now. whereas taping a copy of your old album was ok (due to the lossiness involved) making a duplicate now does not require lossiness (although going to mp3 is lossy) and so they don\'t want you making salable-quality replications. i can understand where they\'re coming from, but its as assinine as most of their other current policies. i bought the product and what i do with it for personal use afterwards is none of their damn business. but, because they are so hidebound and egregiously behind the curve technology-wise, they are scrambling for any and all possible ways to stem the tide of their industry\'s death knell.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 09:13:47 am »
the whole industry has been hemorrhaging profits causing them to freak out for at least 7+ years now. It doesn\'t surprise me at all that they might back pedal a little.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 09:15:54 am »
So if you have an mp3 player they expect you to purchase the album from itunes instead of ripping it from a CD you already bought?

:fucktard:
Smell my mule.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 09:17:23 am »
I agree with most of this. THe argument however would be a scalper. THe scalper bought the ticket, so according to this they can resell it for any amount of money they want. THe sad thing is, while I completely dissagree with the practice, it actually is legal. That\'s how ticket agencies thrive.

<-currently in love with Led Zeppelins ticketing program. :ban<3:

Of course, the counter counter argument would be a tag sale.

Quote from: jking;172595
they\'ve had this position for a little while now. whereas taping a copy of your old album was ok (due to the lossiness involved) making a duplicate now does not require lossiness (although going to mp3 is lossy) and so they don\'t want you making salable-quality replications. i can understand where they\'re coming from, but its as assinine as most of their other current policies. i bought the product and what i do with it for personal use afterwards is none of their damn business. but, because they are so hidebound and egregiously behind the curve technology-wise, they are scrambling for any and all possible ways to stem the tide of their industry\'s death knell.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 09:33:18 am »
i don\'t follow. what does scalping and tag sales have to do with ripping cds that you purchased?