Author Topic: i want a more electronic breakfast  (Read 12524 times)

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
i want a more electronic breakfast
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2009, 12:53:25 pm »
Hmmm I used to like electronica but then I did drugs and now I think its mostly retarded. Do have a soft spot for STS9 and Shpongle though ;)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2009, 12:56:41 pm »
nope. drugs helped me enjoy the dead. i liked electronic years before that.

what happened in the last couple years that made you change your tune? you seemed pretty into it when it was your idea

oh and i\'ll definitely check those other bands out. i was just making a point (that you just backed up) that bands playing electronic music didn\'t start with the disco biscuits, which is the only band people seem to know/mention
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2009, 12:56:53 pm »
I\'m not sure why you are surprised that you\'re getting this kind of feedback.  

You start a thread that basically would somewhat change the direction of The Breakfasts\' music style.  You had to expect that some people wouldn\'t be on board with this idea.  

I know that when I post "anything" on this site that there are at least a half dozen people that will automatically disagree with what I say before even reading it.  

Don\'t get me wrong... I don\'t dislike electronica completely.  I enjoy Crystal Method, and what Radiohead and NIN has done with it, but there are bands like U2 that experimented with it and it was horrible... I personally wouldn\'t choose to "explore" that genre with The Breakfast... They have their own style, why mess with it...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009, 12:57:48 pm »
The Breakfast is not going to turn into the Disco Biscuits just by adding some more electronic elements.  I think what Zuke was getting at was when the Breakfast add in the more electronic undertones to their jams, it sounds pretty damn good.  Clearly the B\'fast like to play that style of music...so if they like to play it and they are good at it, why would you not continue to employ it in your shows?

I think at this stage of the game it would be great to try something new and fresh.  THis band has been around for 10 years now.  Everyone advocating for this band to keep playing exactly the same is crazy.  Bands stay relevent by continually evolving their sound.  If the Breakfast were playing to large crowds every night, then maybe there would be a case to hold on to the past, but they are not.  Every show is a struggle to bring in a new audience.  It has become a regular discussion on this board on how to draw more fans...here\'s one: try something different.  Live music is all about improv and experimentation.
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2009, 01:01:51 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;226097
I\'m not sure why you are surprised that you\'re getting this kind of feedback.  

You start a thread that basically would somewhat change the direction of The Breakfasts\' music style.  You had to expect that some people wouldn\'t be on board with this idea.

honestly, i\'m surprised that so many people agreed with me. i just wanted to start the discussion. now that i see that most of the posts have been positive/receptive, i think it might actually be a good idea...at least something worth exploring
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2009, 01:03:32 pm »
Quote from: NickNels;226098
The Breakfast is not going to turn into the Disco Biscuits just by adding some more electronic elements.  I think what Zuke was getting at was when the Breakfast add in the more electronic undertones to their jams, it sounds pretty damn good.  Clearly the B\'fast like to play that style of music...so if they like to play it and they are good at it, why would you not continue to employ it in your shows?

Exactly. No key-tars though!

I\'m talkin jams like that sick shit Daniel St in 07... the Space Oddity. Serheads know what I\'m talking about.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2009, 01:04:03 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;226096

what happened in the last couple years that made you change your tune? you seemed pretty into it when it was your idea

Well actually the fact that the band is just not into it made me change my tune.

I suggest all sorts of shit all the time but when the band basically just ignores it and continues to play what they want I get the point and stop. (hint hint)
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

NickNels

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2009, 01:11:25 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;226088
Quote from: Todd;226073
You are def. not alone!

Quote from: Yoda;226075
Quote from: Todd;226073
You are def. not alone!

Hey Todd, remember when it was rock n roll....

Quote from: Mark;226077
Bad Idea!

Let\'s move on!

you guys make some good points. i really like your reasoning

::rolls eyes::

Todd, Yoda, and Mark...

I\'m guessing the average age there is in the 36-40 range.  It\'s great to see you guys so passionate about the music, but the band can\'t afford to exclusively cater to what you think the sound should be.  The Breakfast need an influx of new (and younger) fans to be able to stay relevant and viable.  It\'s not like they can be Phish and play whatever they want and still sellout every show...this band struggles to get 100 people to a show.  

I\'m not trying to sound like an asshole, but don\'t you think it would be in the band\'s best interest to continue to try new things (or anything) that will put more fans in seats?

Quote from: bdfreetuna;226102
Exactly. No key-tars though!

Ha!  I think you can tell that post was a joke ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 01:11:25 pm by NickNels »

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2009, 01:16:26 pm »
Hah! Yeah dude. I lurk hometown Breakfast threads like none other day-of-show ;)

Oh wait I thought this was Iron Horse thread. Oh well this thread is interesting too.

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2009, 01:22:16 pm »
Quote from: NickNels;226105

I\'m guessing the average age there is in the 36-40 range.  It\'s great to see you guys so passionate about the music, but the band can\'t afford to exclusively cater to what you think the sound should be.  The Breakfast need an influx of new (and younger) fans to be able to stay relevant and viable.  It\'s not like they can be Phish and play whatever they want and still sellout every show...this band struggles to get 100 people to a show.  

I\'m not trying to sound like an asshole, but don\'t you think it would be in the band\'s best interest to continue to try new things (or anything) that will put more fans in seats?

you mean...   sell out.

imnsho, they should keep doing whatever the hell they want to do, and not be "told" what\'s right for them.  fuck that. :out:
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

NickNels

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2009, 01:33:22 pm »
Quote from: FreeSpirit;226108

you mean...   sell out.

imnsho, they should keep doing whatever the hell they want to do, and not be "told" what\'s right for them.  fuck that. :out:

Quote from: thatguy;226010
hhmmm sounds cool...

Seems like Adrian is open to trying new things.

And no, i don\'t mean sell out.  There is a difference between trying something new and compromising your artistic integrity.  I don\'t think anyone is trying to tell the B\'Fast they have to do anything.  THis thread should be dedicated to constructive criticism and new ideas, which is what I think ZUke, myself, and others are offering up.  All we\'ve said is that they play that style of music well, why not take advantage of it.  The opposite argument is what?  Don\'t do it because its different?  Electronic music is souless?  Don\'t make the B\'Fast in the Disco Biscuits?  Keep things the same?

We are lucky to get the B\'Fast 4 times a month these days, and it sure as hell isn\'t because they don\'t feel like playing.  It\'s probably because they need to make some money, and unfortunately B\'Fast music isn\'t playing all the bills.  Is adding more electronic stuff the answer?  WHo knows, but are you telling me its not worth exploring?

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2009, 01:39:22 pm »
They are always doing new things. When the hell does this band "keep playing exactly the same"? RU Ser? WTF

One reason I have seen them close to 200 times proves my point.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

peaches626

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2009, 01:43:14 pm »
adrian did hold a drumming expo with this guy, mr DnB....

http://www.youtube.com/v/TogVVyUxaC0&hl=en&fs=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/TogVVyUxaC0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
taints rule, gypsies drool!

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2009, 01:52:40 pm »
And that was some cool shit!
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2009, 02:46:27 pm »
Quote from: NickNels;226112
Quote from: FreeSpirit;226108

you mean...   sell out.

Quote from: thatguy;226010
hhmmm sounds cool...

Seems like Adrian is open to trying new things.

And no, i don\'t mean sell out.  There is a difference between trying something new and compromising your artistic integrity.  I don\'t think anyone is trying to tell the B\'Fast they have to do anything.  THis thread should be dedicated to constructive criticism and new ideas, which is what I think ZUke, myself, and others are offering up.  All we\'ve said is that they play that style of music well, why not take advantage of it.  The opposite argument is what?  Don\'t do it because its different?  Electronic music is souless?  Don\'t make the B\'Fast in the Disco Biscuits?  Keep things the same?

We are lucky to get the B\'Fast 4 times a month these days, and it sure as hell isn\'t because they don\'t feel like playing.  It\'s probably because they need to make some money, and unfortunately B\'Fast music isn\'t playing all the bills.  Is adding more electronic stuff the answer?  WHo knows, but are you telling me its not worth exploring?

I\'m not saying I completely disagree... I like the fact that they\'re constantly growing and developing their music.  I just had a problem with the statement above.  If playing music is only about gaining fans, why not play Hannah Montana songs at shows?! I think the band continues to experiment with many different sounds on their own... by saying "playing more electronica music will give you lots of fans" just didn\'t sit right w/ me.  Honestly, I don\'t even know any electronica tunes.  I\'m on vacation this week w/ lots of free time... could u recommend some to try out?
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]