Author Topic: valentines day @ toads - umphreaks mcgee  (Read 6465 times)

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
valentines day @ toads - umphreaks mcgee
« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2006, 05:28:31 pm »
Quote from: leith

Well you see I did give UM the benefit of the doubt and even gave them more than my requisite see a band twice. Each time it got worse for me. .

That\'s my whole point:  Leith gives most bands the benefit of the doubt when other .inforumers often don\'t, therefore there must be some legitimate issues if you\'re no longer paying to see them.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2006, 05:40:36 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu
Quote from: leith

Well you see I did give UM the benefit of the doubt and even gave them more than my requisite see a band twice. Each time it got worse for me. .

That\'s my whole point:  Leith gives most bands the benefit of the doubt when other .inforumers often don\'t, therefore there must be some legitimate issues if you\'re no longer paying to see them.

i\'ve given them the benefit of the doubt 7 times now, tonight will be my 8th time seeing them.  for some reason, i only find them enjoyable if i\'m completely wrecked on drugs, sober or a little buzz, then they bore the shit out of me.  that being said, i\'ve seen plenty of moe. and breakfast shows sober and love it just as much if not more than high/drunk.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2006, 06:23:52 pm »
I\'m just glad I didnt waste 10 bucks on an UMlive copy of the show.  

Joe\'s next live band crush: Porcupine Tree.... seriously, everyone on this board needs to check them out the next time they come to the states.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2006, 09:29:25 am »
went to the show last night......... i thought it sucked. worse $20 I\'ve ever spent. there jams went no where, they can\'t seem to pick a genre. i like the reggae sounds then they started this fake/weak attempt at some guitar driven rock jam..... garbage. If i were them i wouldn\'t let Tim play either, he would freak\'n own them all and then pick up the sticks.

passed out 300-400 fliers though. and only saw a couple on the ground. A big thanks to Igzy, Dawn and those kids from NH that were at the Toad\'s show for helping me pass out fliers.

Hey Bezerker, i met some friends of your that hangout with you late night after Toads.

Highlight of the evening..... seeing Igzy walk up to the UM merch table and drop fliers down and the merch girl was like what are those... you can\'t put those there...... and he picks them up and hands her one and walks away......
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 10:46:29 am by derickw »
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2006, 11:30:40 am »
I felt the same way. I felt like they were genre jumping all night and I heard a lot of "heavy metal" sound throughout the night.

Umphrey\'s isn\'t for me. Which is kinda weird because I have helped with promotion in the Northeast since 2002 or so. And I really dug them up unto a year or so ago and then finally seeing them live, nailed the coffin shut.

I\'m sure if we saw them in there home territory the show would be different, or so I think.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2006, 11:32:53 am »
The midwest shows and East coast shows are worlds apart....
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2006, 11:43:29 am »
Quote from: TreyChica

Which I completely agree with.

However, why tour the East Coast if you aren\'t going to bring your "A" game? I really believe that people jumped onto the wagon on this one. I feel that there are a lot of "never seen Phish, want to recreate the scene" type of peeps.

I don\'t know anymore. If I am ever in the mid-west and can catch an Umphrey\'s show, I will definitely check it out. To either prove or disprove my theory.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2006, 12:10:49 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica
Only in the degree in which they suck. Midwest shows suck just a little less.

Quote from: Wolfman
Quote from: davepeck
you know, i want to go.. i really do.. i wanna see what all the fuss is about..

It\'s legit.  They\'re every bit as good as The Breakfast, better in some aspects.  I wish The Breakfast were in their shoes right now, but at least I can sleep well knowing that the hottest jamband in the land deserves their props.

LOL
Here is what I was going to post before this show happened in response to Wolf\'s post.
Every bit as good? lol
Timmy is better than both guitarists together.
Adrian and Ron would pummel the rhythm section they have and they have an extra percussionist.
Jordan is more than equal to Joel on keys no doubt.
They may be more prolific and pretty fair improvisers but The Breakfast are by far the better band.
 Oh and The Breakfast have more Soul in Adrian\'s big toe than all of UM put together.

btw I also sleep well knowing TLG is getting their props.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 12:21:54 pm by leith »
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2006, 12:34:57 pm »
Oh Leith.....

Spacey it\'s the Bonaroo generation trying to find their niche.  Unfortunately I can only think of one band that has the potential to have a Phishesque niche and that\'s The Breakfast.  I just got the new UM album last night and it\'s fucking great.  Hearing it gave me a little more faith, yet dissapointed me at the same time. I hate knowing that they have enormous musical potential, but instead play lackluster onstage.  Just like Greg said, it\'s like they\'d rather play in front of a giant mirror than play for their fans.

It\'s a shame because they were my favorite live act to see the past few years.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2006, 12:43:43 pm »
I like that label "Bonnaroo Generation" fits perfectly.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2006, 01:12:58 pm »
That\'s what they are. I remember the days where I would scourge the net trying to find Real Player samples of 4th tier jambands and waiting hours just to hear a shitty stream from someone like The Juggling Suns or Ominous Seapods. These kids are getting jambands shoved down their throats on the net nowadays and think just because they exist, that they\'re automatically the next Phish. It\'s like a huge game of musical chairs, where each up and coming band is a chair and the masses are trying to claim they\'ve been in the chair since day one. It\'s silly...... considering this band deserves all the asses in the world ;)

RadicalRich1138

« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2006, 01:13:41 pm »
anchor drops, or a newer one?  whats the 10$ UMlive?  i wouldnt mind getting that show, you guys are real harsh on any non-breakfast band

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #162 on: February 16, 2006, 01:17:52 pm »
I think we have been fair talking about UM.

Most of us agree that the band are great musicians, it just isn\'t for us.

I personally feel that the fanbase is what makes me not want to go to another show.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #163 on: February 16, 2006, 01:19:27 pm »
Safety in Numbers, the newest one....

UMlive is an instant soundboard of the show, you go to the soundboard, pay for it and get a ticket. At the end of the show you get a copy of show.

I\'ve seen many, many, many bands for my age, suffice to say I\'d like to think I have an accurate perception of these bands musical abilities.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2006, 01:20:15 pm »
Quote from: RadicalRich1138
anchor drops, or a newer one?  whats the 10$ UMlive?  i wouldnt mind getting that show, you guys are real harsh on any non-breakfast band

Treychica is a Pirate so it\'s the new UM album. The UM live I believe is the show available right after the performance and actually most of us are really into alot of other bands than The Breakfast. It\'s just that UM sux. ;)
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.