Author Topic: Big Summer Classic: headiness confirmed.  (Read 6044 times)

kyndkate

• Vicious.
Big Summer Classic: headiness confirmed.
« on: July 11, 2005, 12:14:22 pm »
So yesterday, I attended the Big Summer Classic in Indianapolis. Talk about off the hook. It was 95 degrees and I almost had a heat stroke, but I have not had this much fun in a loooong time. AND I was sober the entire day.

New Monsoon opened at 1:30 pm. They were a lot of fun. They had a guy from India playing traditional Indian bongo things, a couple guitars, and a great percussion setup. Good band, look into it.

Michael Franti and Spearhead. I wasn\'t really looking forward to them, but after they started, 5,000 sweaty hippie bodies went nuts. They have a rock-reggae thing going on, and they know how to get down. They even have a guy on sax.

Umphrey\'s McGee. I don\'t have to say anything...they\'re getting better every time I see them. They didn\'t play Triple Wide like my section kept chanting, but we\'ll come back to that.

Keller Williams. My first time seeing him live, and it was a treat. I never appreciated his talent until I saw just what he can do with a guitar. He played Gate Crash, which is near and dear to Indianapolis\' heart (Deer Creek) and we all went insane. Also played Stupid Questions, covered The Dead\'s Dupree\'s Diamond Blues, and Boob Job ("she got a WHAT?!" ;)). Mad talent in this guy. Go see him live.

Yonder Mountain. So about 4 minutes into their first song, me and the 30 people around me erupted in a completely spontaneous hoedown 50 feet from the stage, dead center. This continued for the next 45 minutes. We cleared a 20-ft circle in the middle of the lawn and shoved people into to have dance-offs. The guys in Yonder kept laughing and pointing at us. :) I am now officially addicted to bluegrass. They threw down HARD.

String Cheese 9 pm. By this time we are all exhausted and couldn\'t be happier (or so we thought). My dream came true during their set: someone had brought in 3 whole bags of glowsticks, and there was a half-hour war on the lawn. I\'d never seen Cheese, but I\'ll definitely be listening to them now. They were so tight and their jams never lost direction.

Encore 11 pm. They announced that Keller would be doing the encore. He came out. Then the drummer from Cheese came out. Then the bassist from Spearhead came out. Then I said to my buddies, \'that sounds like Triple Wide by Umphrey\'s.\' Thirty seconds later the guitarists from Umphrey\'s came out and started playing Triple Wide. This trend continued until there were SEVENTEEN musicians onstage jamming their souls out. There was a guy onstage holding up sheets of paper with keys written on it, and he\'d hold one up and all 17 musicians would change keys right on target. At 11:30 the venue turned the stage lights off indicating curfew, and the guys just kept playing right through it. At 11:45, they pulled the plug to the stage at the climax of the jam. I\'ve never seen anything like what I saw last night. Franti also passed out trash bags from the front to the back of the lawn, and everyone picked up their beer cans and water bottles. We left that place spotless.

Moral of this story: if you missed Big Summer Classic, you really did miss it. If you have an opportunity to go, GO!!
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be." -Douglas Adams

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 12:24:41 pm »
Thanks for the review. I figured this would be a real good tour, a bunch of big names. I\'m a fan of Franti and Spearhead saw him in Providence awesome time. haven\'t seen Cheese yet but am definitly planning on checking them out soon. the only thing i don\'t like about these types of tours is the bands are only on for a short time, just long enough to start getting into it (crowd and band). 17 person jam sounds SICK, will have to look in BT for the shows.
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 12:27:34 pm »
sounds pretty heady

kyndkate

• Vicious.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 12:29:38 pm »
The bands were on long enough IMO, mostly because a lot of the bands had members from other bands join them. Monsoon had some people from Cheese come up, Franti had the bassist from Yonder join them, etc. Pretty much it was 10 hours of 6 bands jamming continuously, save for 15-20 minute breaks for equipment setup.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be." -Douglas Adams

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 02:01:12 pm »
cant wait. havent seen Umphreys yet,  and am looking forward to the rest..
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 02:21:25 pm »
Quote from: DocEllis70
havent seen Umphreys yet

yer not missin much, i\'m afraid.
Postcount +1.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 02:25:09 pm »
been doing promo\'s for the Big Summer Classic when it comes to Yale Field. Got me a free ticket and plan on seeing what Umphrey\'s is all about. Listened to them and they are good but it is all what you do live that matters. This little tour may make Umphrey\'s BIG!
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 02:53:58 pm »
Cannot wait for that show at Yale Field.  However, don\'t buy beer inside, unless you don\'t mind waiting in the longest f\'in lines ever.  And don\'t over compensate for the long lines by buying 8 beers, then when you discover one friend passed out at the seat (drooling on himself) and the other friend has wondered to get up close, chug all 8 beers in an hour.  You\'ll definately find yourself getting thrown out of New West later on that night.

Mamalakabubadaya

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 02:58:08 pm »
sci=superheadie crystal bumping guys if you\'re into that

ymsb=:thumbsup:

keller williams=seen him a couple of times at festivals and he is talented but does the same thing every time..not really my cup of tea

um=i\'ve only seen these guys once at bonnaroo 04 and they definitely tore it up...

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 03:17:46 pm »
i\'m really looking forward to this. how about a roll call for west haven on 7/24. pre-game at my house. i\'m only about 3 miles from there. details to follow. hey tmnatr....how about you and gittleman giving us an hour of some jammin for lunch that day? a little around the pool give back singing for your lunch!!!!  ;)

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 03:22:43 pm »
now that is a man of action!!!

Whathefunk

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 04:15:01 pm »
Can\'t wait for the BSC to come to Great Woods 7/23...love all the acts billed and haven\'t seen most of them since bonnaroo of last year.  Kate thanks for the review you have gotten me very excited.  This will be my first show in a while that is not breakfast related!!! Sorta weird! Just got swept off my feet with the boys from staven and forgot about all my other music interests!  Maybe if the show at yale field isn\'t sold out yet i\'ll come down and party with all the CTer\'s....

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 04:29:23 pm »
alright....i have gittleman tentatively scheduled......let\'s see if this gathers steam. walshie? wah?  gencs? mark?....BTW.......the timmy tour calender has nothing on it that day!(yet)

kyndkate

• Vicious.
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 04:46:23 pm »
Quote from: Whathefunk
Kate thanks for the review you have gotten me very excited.

No problem, my friend. It\'s what I do. Like I always say, "music is love, so give it, get it, and share it always." And you should be excited...if the bands are as pumped and on fire as they were last night, you\'re in for one ser ride and a hella-fun day!

P.S. Bring glowsticks. Loads. Of. Glowsticks. We didn\'t have quite enough to keep the war going as long as I would have liked (aka all day).

Whathefunk

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 05:07:06 pm »
Quote from: kyndkate
Quote from: Whathefunk
Kate thanks for the review you have gotten me very excited.

No problem, my friend. It\'s what I do. Like I always say, "music is love, so give it, get it, and share it always." And you should be excited...if the bands are as pumped and on fire as they were last night, you\'re in for one ser ride and a hella-fun day!

P.S. Bring glowsticks. Loads. Of. Glowsticks. We didn\'t have quite enough to keep the war going as long as I would have liked (aka all day).

Lol....my glowstick warring days are over, after the amazing show (both musically and visually) i saw at phish\'s IT festival couple years back....imagine 80,000 people in the most massive glowstick war imaginable!!!An extremely ser ghost jam to boot!  I think i was pelted with more glowsticks to the back of the head than anyone else there!