Author Topic: Smashing Pumpkins to reform  (Read 7318 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Smashing Pumpkins to reform
« on: June 22, 2005, 01:41:40 pm »

Singer Billy Corgan said on Tuesday he plans to revive The Smashing Pumpkins, his Grammy-winning band which broke up in 2000 after more than a decade of blending alternative rock with the avant-garde.

In full-page advertisements in Chicago newspapers, the bald-headed Corgan said, "I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams."

He did not say which if any of the band\'s former members would be involved in the revived group, which broke through with albums such as "Gish" and "Siamese Dream."

The Pumpkins\' top selling album was "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" which came out in 1995, but as the 1990s progressed their work became increasingly obscure as tensions arose in the group.

They broke up over differences among its four members and Corgan has since jumped from project to project but failed to match his early success.

Corgan, based in Chicago, has just released a solo album, "TheFutureEmbrace" on Reprise Records.

He did not say when he would try to reform the Pumpkins but the new album "represents a new beginning, not an ending. It picks up the thread of the as-yet-unfinished work and charter of The Smashing Pumpkins," he said.

Link to story

The Press Release

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 02:30:45 pm »
the greatest daaaayyyyyeeya.......

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 02:33:23 pm »
I saw this last night on the CNN bottom line and caught it briefly. Wasn\'t sure if it was true or not, alas, you confirmed it. Not a huge Smashing Pumpkin fans, I enjoy some songs and respect the work they have done.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 02:55:27 pm »
bring back D\'Arcy and James Iha!!!
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.

helluvahat

• I Like Dirt
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 03:02:47 pm »
awesome news!!
Play some Weezer!!!

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 03:45:43 pm »
\'In full-page advertisements in Chicago newspapers, the bald-headed Corgan said, "I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams." \'

Fuck, he\'s still whining? Come ON guy, sheesh.
Shoulda never screwed w/ SP in the first place.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 10:53:32 pm »
Quote from: Buquebus

screw d\'arcy, bring back jimmy chamberline and james tho

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 12:49:21 am »
I\'m sure Trey will find some way to be a part of this. :wink:
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

ChrisF

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 02:06:20 am »
Quote from: leith
\'In full-page advertisements in Chicago newspapers, the bald-headed Corgan said, "I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams." \'

Fuck, he\'s still whining? Come ON guy, sheesh.
Shoulda never screwed w/ SP in the first place.

i cant wait to see what happens with this. obviously the new smashing pumpkins is going to include jimmy chamberlin. darcy and james will not be involved. at this point in time they would probably only hold the band back anyway.

here is the entire post from billy that  quote was taken from

June 21, 2005

Today is a special day in my life as it marks the release of my very first solo album \'TheFutureEmbrace.\' For over 17 years I have been proud to represent Chicago as an artist through my words and music, and am continually humbled by the undying love that I have been shown from this city as one of its native sons. I\'d like to take this moment to address all that is going on in my musical life, from the new album and the current tour, to the future of The Smashing Pumpkins.

I had the opportunity to record \'TheFutureEmbrace\' CD here in Chicago, and its embers bear witness to this town\'s unique soul. I have done my very best to create something fresh and exciting to listen to, and I hope you get the chance to check it out. Having just returned from a tour of Europe, I am now set to play 18 additional dates in North America, beginning tomorrow in Atlanta. After that we head to Japan, and then Australia and New Zealand for the first time since 1998.

\'TheFutureEmbrace\' is an album of hope, and represents fully my desire to make music to stand and to fight for. Encouraged by the musical progress of the record, I have already begun writing new songs for a subsequent solo album I hope to start by the end of this year. Plans are still in the works to finish my \'ChicagoSongs\' DVD, a group of songs about the city. I\'m also in the process of writing my life story on-line, updated almost daily and not so ironically entitled \'The Confessions of Billy Corgan.\' It truly has been a creative time for me, with many new revelations.

Many have assumed that the decisions that I have made over the last few years have been to try to get away from something. But what I have been really trying to do is find that same kid again, the one who believed he could change the world with a song. There is an old saying that goes "you can\'t go home again,"but I believe that your home is wherever your heart lies.

When I played the final Smashing Pumpkins show on the night of December 2, 2000, I walked off the Metro stage believing that I was forever leaving a piece of my life behind. I naively tried to start a new band, but found that my heart wasn\'t in it. I moved away to pursue a love that I once had but got lost. So I moved back home to heal what was broken in me, and to my surprise I found what I was looking for. I found that my heart is in Chicago, and that my heart is in The Smashing Pumpkins.

For a year now I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep. But now I want you to be among the first to know that I have made plans to renew and revive The Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams. In this desire I feel I have come home again.

\'TheFutureEmbrace\' represents a new beginning, not an ending. It picks up the thread of the as-yet-unfinished work and charter of The Smashing Pumpkins. I know this city gave me the gift of my music, and it is my honor to share this love that I have with you from the bottom of my heart. There is still so much work to do, and as always, so little time!

Rock on and may God bless you!
Billy Corgan

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 07:05:29 am »
Quote from: galenas
Quote from: Buquebus

screw d\'arcy, bring back jimmy chamberline and james tho

:thumbsup:

jimmy c makes my panties wet. ser.

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 08:36:42 am »
Does this also mark the return of the royal blue I-ROC?
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 08:46:22 am »

;)

it wasn\'t an IROC though.. :(

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 01:06:21 pm »
old interview, but... hmm...

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/20879611

AP: Do you ever wish the Smashing Pumpkins could reunite?

Corgan: You can\'t recreate what was.

AP: A lot of bands try, though.

Corgan: That\'s because they try and go back to what was. I showed it already. I didn\'t think the Smashing Pumpkins could stay where they were for two years. So I have no desire to go back to a sentimental position to the band. If I ever did go back to the band, it wouldn\'t be the same thing, it wouldn\'t be for those reasons. It wouldn\'t be a reunion to cash in. I have no interest in that. My goals are always artistic, and they were even in the context of the Smashing Pumpkins. If you ever see Smashing Pumpkins on the marquee, it won\'t be what you think it would be. The Pumpkins was a progressive art concept, it wasn\'t a normal band. It was meant to sort of disrupt, cause problems, and it did. And we were successful in doing that. But we would never go back ... and on top of that, some of the relationships are totally destroyed. It would take some serious divine intervention to see.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 08:14:13 am »
http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/dailydish/

CORGAN STORMS OFF STAGE

American rocker Billy Corgan abandoned a solo concert in Melbourne,
Australia last night after fans repeatedly asked him to play songs by his
former band Smashing Pumpkins.
Despite placing an ad in the Chicago Tribune expressing his intent to reform
the Smashing Pumpkins last month, Corgan became increasingly angered by
continued catcalls from the audience.

According to reports in Melbourne newspapers, one fan heckled, "Play some
Pumpkins," to which Corgan replied, "Can I live my life for today?"

Later in the performance, another audience member shouted "We want rock,"
prompting Corgan to suggest he ask for his money back.

The final straw came towards the end of the show when another fan requested
Pumpkins material. Corgan declared "[Bleep] this" and stormed off stage,
ignoring calls to return.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 10:22:03 am »
what a pansy