Author Topic: The Dead spring tour...  (Read 19888 times)

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2009, 08:39:11 pm »
warren has really transformed his sound more to that of the late jerry garcia

what a slut
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

LBoogie

The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2009, 08:55:53 pm »
went to the show last night with the gotv street team to work the lot.....it was my first dead show actually.  EPIC is honestly an understatement!!  They\'re playing was so much more than what i expected....and i seriously think it was among one of my top 5 shows of all time.  I don\'t know the full set, but from what i remember....Terrapin Station, Ramblin Rose, Casey Jones, The Wheel, I know You Rider, The Women Are Smarter, Deal.......JEEZ!!  Is anyone hitting the Philly shows?????  I\'m leaving tomorrow am and working all weekend with gotv.....would be cool to have some extra hands for flyering :) Either way, hope to see some of you cats on dead tour!!

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2009, 09:17:21 pm »
Quote from: LBoogie;228914
Casey Jones ... The Women Are Smarter

Two of the most un-epic Dead songs ever

:P
Masturbation in the MFA

LBoogie

The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2009, 09:28:44 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;228918

lol, but for a first time show?  man....i was pleased.  they also had this ridiculous and way funky sax player.  i swear at one point i thought i was at a sound tribe show :)  fuck....i can\'t wait to see what the philly shows bring

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2009, 10:23:02 pm »
Quote from: LBoogie;228923
Quote from: jocelyn;228918

lol, but for a first time show?  man....i was pleased.  they also had this ridiculous and way funky sax player.  i swear at one point i thought i was at a sound tribe show :)  fuck....i can\'t wait to see what the philly shows bring

Yeah for any of the kids reading this that was Branford Marsalis on Sax.
His shows with the GD are legendary and he\'s keeping that going w/ The Dead.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2009, 06:06:46 am »
is branford the one on the live without a net disc? I love those shows.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2009, 07:36:43 am »
Quote from: FrankZappa;228951
is branford the one on the live without a net disc? I love those shows.

Yeah he is...
Where to next?

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2009, 09:58:32 am »
Quote from: Vassillios;228908

what a slut

:wah:  

I haven\'t heard him in a few years, but I was just saying last night that I felt he was a one trick pony, and for better or worse really put the Warren stamp on everything he played.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
    • http://
The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2009, 10:04:11 am »
Quote from: LBoogie;228923

lol, but for a first time show?  man....i was pleased.  they also had this ridiculous and way funky sax player.  :)  fuck....i can\'t wait to see what the philly shows bring[/QUOTE]

nOOb!   :duck:

Vassillios

The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2009, 10:58:58 am »
Quote from: wildcoyote;228971

what a slut

I haven\'t heard him in a few years, but I was just saying last night that I felt he was a one trick pony, and for better or worse really put the Warren stamp on everything he played.

normally i would totally agree, but listening to a couple songs from this new tour, i hear him doing the jerry-pulloff a lot, using the subtle envelope filter, and really being more laid back than the straight up rock he always does. i actually couldn\'t tell it was him at first... usually you can tell it\'s warren right away.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2009, 11:31:50 am »
Quote from: Vassillios;228986

what a slut

normally i would totally agree, but listening to a couple songs from this new tour, i hear him doing the jerry-pulloff a lot, using the subtle envelope filter, and really being more laid back than the straight up rock he always does. i actually couldn\'t tell it was him at first... usually you can tell it\'s warren right away.

Yeah, yeah. Exactly.  

I\'m really curious to go home and listen to these shows now.  Sounds like a serious case of an old dog learning some new tricks. Thanks for pointing this out.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2009, 11:59:29 am »
Quote from: wildcoyote;229003
Quote from: Vassillios;228986

what a slut

Yeah, yeah. Exactly.  

I\'m really curious to go home and listen to these shows now.  Sounds like a serious case of an old dog learning some new tricks. Thanks for pointing this out.

Interesting. Maybe I\'ll hitch a ride to Philly this weekend.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

leith

The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2009, 01:23:22 pm »

what a slut

Quote from: leith;225530

Warren seems to be making more of a conscious effort to play within the GD framework and less afraid of playing more true to Jerry\'s sound.

For me Warren has typically fallen back on his ABB style jamming with The Dead which is very noticeable and just sounds like ABB covering GD.

I only noticed that in small places and he pretty much took care of it quickly playing much more with the rest of the band than he did before.

This is the key for me. I know what the Core 4 bring when they are happy together and Jeff is always on point so if Warren is going to keep this up, some really really killer music is going to happen.

Warren is reminding all the haters he really is a Bad Ass on guitar.

Vassillios

The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2009, 02:57:04 pm »
Quote from: leith;229035

what a slut

Quote from: leith;225530

Warren seems to be making more of a conscious effort to play within the GD framework and less afraid of playing more true to Jerry\'s sound.

For me Warren has typically fallen back on his ABB style jamming with The Dead which is very noticeable and just sounds like ABB covering GD.

I only noticed that in small places and he pretty much took care of it quickly playing much more with the rest of the band than he did before.

This is the key for me. I know what the Core 4 bring when they are happy together and Jeff is always on point so if Warren is going to keep this up, some really really killer music is going to happen.

Warren is reminding all the haters he really is a Bad Ass on guitar.

i knew i had read somewhere that someone else noticed his new style. shoulda known it was you leith.

im also certain his wife stef scamardo pointed it out on sirius 17 about a million times whenever they play songs from the new tour.

leith

The Dead spring tour...
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2009, 09:05:26 pm »
So listening to the Dead show broadcast and during setbreak they had a "commercial" from the lot and The Falafel Guy got a plug!
If you spent any time on Dead Lot you know the Falafel Guy.
Hilarious!
Pretty Sweet 1st set.
2nd coming up!