Author Topic: It was 4 years ago today...  (Read 950 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
It was 4 years ago today...
« on: September 14, 2005, 09:01:32 am »
...That one of the most strange and and incredible Breakfast shows went down.  Crazy facts:
-It was at the Iron Horse in Northampton, MA, where they will be playing again on 9/22 this year.  It was the first club show for the band in Western Mass after 2 years of wild and crazy shows on campus at UMass.
-It was 3 days after 9/11 and we weren\'t sure if anyone would come, or even if anyone should come.  As it turns out, this show is still the record holder for most-fans-turned-away due to overcapacity.
-The band had ALL of their gear stolen two days earlier, and had to play on Uncle Sammy\'s gear.

It was certainly an incredible night, and one of the most indelible shows upon my memory.  Here\'s the archived review.  Take care.

"The Amherst promo team is running like a well-oiled machine and we are gonna pack the place to the rafters and there is nothing anybody can do to stop it!"

-Me to the Yahoo group, 9/7/1

Well guys, the world threw absolutely everything it had at us to challenge this statement. Tuesday was the worst day in American history, and Wednesday was the worst day in PB history. It would have been perfectly understandable if the show did not go on, or if nobody showed up. But in a true showing of determination, positive spirit, and a need for love, the show went on, the people came in droves, and the result was a fantastic night complete with that unstoppable UMass magic.

Emotions have been high for this show for a long time. All the fans in western Mass have been foaming at the mouth since Baker Quadfest, eager to pick up where we left off. The egroup went through an emotional morality debate relative to this show. The Amherst promo team hasn\'t stopped talking about it since school started. Personally, the excitement around here, particularly from new fans, has gotten me up in the morning over the past few weeks. And if this weren\'t enough to make this an extraordinarily emotional show, it was almost every fan\'s first activity since the horrors of Tuesday, and the band\'s first activity since the horrors of Wednesday.

As if I weren\'t already jumping out of my skin on the way to the show last night, when we pulled up there were 50 people waiting outside for the doors to open. This completely put me over the top, because 50 people outside before the show means sellout by the end of the show. As it turns out the place was packed, but it was even more than that. People actually needed this show, and you could feel it. The feelings weren\'t all positive by any means, but they were potent.

Spunk was awesome as an opener. I was hoping for this and Food for Thought as well as lots of newer stuff for all the UMass people who haven\'t seen the band since May. We got both, of course. Great poem, Tim. Attraction and Beef have become Umass classics, both frequent tunes at Butterfield. Rufus was needed around here too, so I was excited for it. Pretty standard as far as Rufus goes, but I can only imagine how hard it is to play with any sort of sustained emotion when Armageddon stares you in the face and you\'re using someone else\'s gear. Awesome drum duel w/ Adrian and TZ, and the roar from the crowd was deafening after we all sang happy birthday! Then Tim decides "might as well finish the song" (Language) but instead of going right back into it there came an off-the-cuff heavy funk jam that was awesome. It was only about 2 minutes long, but just the way they went from nothing to this jam and then from this jam back into the Language reprise was just fantastic. The Uncle Sammy jam was cool, and God Bless America was an excellent finishing touch, as well as a good way to play past curfew and not get heaved mid-song. (I\'ve seen Iron Horse do it before.) The show was way too short, although Iron Horse regulars are used to this. If you have an opener, there is no way you\'re going to play more than 2 hours at Iron Horse, that\'s just the way it goes. I know it was tough for some of you who are used to later curfews and 3 hours a night of PB.

The show had ended, but for a lot of us the night was by no means over. I really want to thank everyone who came over to my house to hang out. UMass crew, Joce, Todd, Curtis, Freddie, Fran, Jule, Josh, Josias, Tim, Adrian, Ron: I really needed to be with a lot of people I like, and what better than to have people I like from around New England all come together. It was our first real party at the house in 3.5 months of living here, which made me and my roomies really happy. The fire was great! It was the first time I have talked about this week and not been frustrated with everyone else\'s opinions and assumptions. I really admired everyone\'s words and needed that conversation, thank you. But besides that, it was just awesome raging until full daylight with the best music fans in New England. You are all welcome anytime. Once again my # is 413-549-9906. I am so happy you could all be here.

So goes a memorable PB night. Stay strong, keep listening, keep loving, and we\'ll be just fine.

Peace and vibes,
Seth Wolfman

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 02:15:17 pm »
Thanks for the tip. It looks well worth the download.
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 03:30:11 pm »
Very memorable show indeed.  We definitely worked overtime to promote for that show.  UMass had a pretty considerable fanbase back then (hundreds strong).  It\'s strange that so few of the old UMass fans seem to be involved in the scene these days, though a few pop up at the bi-annual Iron Horse shows.  Hopefully more will rediscover the magic of PB.

I\'m surprised I still haven\'t added it to my collection.  

On a side note: The stolen equipment the day after 9/11 is a parallel to the lawlessness around New Orleans.  Sick to think that some people continue preying on others without taking the time to pause and reflect on their lives and those of the people around them in time of a national crisis.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Whathefunk

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 03:49:03 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu
Very memorable show indeed.  We definitely worked overtime to promote for that show.  UMass had a pretty considerable fanbase back then (hundreds strong).  It\'s strange that so few of the old UMass fans seem to be involved in the scene these days, though a few pop up at the bi-annual Iron Horse shows.  Hopefully more will rediscover the magic of PB.

agreed.  i just made 30 copies of the real radio flyers to put up around central and all the bfast freindly record stores in the area...really doing my best to get the word out there on campus and at local shows as well, through word of mouth and whatnot. a sell out would be ser!

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 03:58:44 pm »
Quote from: Whathefunk
Quote from: alexanderzurflu

agreed.  i just made 30 copies of the real radio flyers to put up around central and all the bfast freindly record stores in the area...really doing my best to get the word out there on campus and at local shows as well, through word of mouth and whatnot. a sell out would be ser!

Word of mouth was a huge influence in the attendance numbers for 2000/2001 PB shows in Amherst/Northampton - probably even more important than the flyers.  It was also helpful that Seth Wolfman and I lived in the headiest area of campus, a major draw for new fan initialization.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 08:54:22 pm »
Not to mention nobody wanted to miss Seth\'s afterparties!

Staven, get out! :lol:
Masturbation in the MFA

Wolfman

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 01:05:34 am »
Funny how everyone remembers "Staven, get the fuck out!" even though I only had to kick out Staven once in 7 Breakfast afterparties.  It was a classic line though.  I\'ve been thinking about that Iron Horse show a lot today.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 01:59:53 am »
Quote from: Wolfman
I really want to thank everyone who came over to my house to hang out. UMass crew, Joce, Todd, Curtis, Freddie, Fran, Jule, Josh, Josias, Tim, Adrian, Ron: I really needed to be with a lot of people I like, and what better than to have people I like from around New England all come together.

Fran is a name that I haven\'t heard in years.  Whatever happened to that guy?

It\'s too bad .info wasn\'t yet born in 2001, I have a feeling the fanbase would be stronger by a few hundred members if all the UMass kids didn\'t slip away and disconnect.  Speaking of old UMass kids, I\'m hoping the the CSMurphy that joined .info the other day was our old pal "Murph" from Baker, a guy who once travelled all the way to N.C. for a PB show.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 06:40:04 am »
Yeah I always really loved seeing Fran; wish he still came around. There are so many people whom I wonder where they went.

How about Katie Riley, whom I often gave rides to shows to? I remember she made those little PB nug jars for everyone, with glitter and such, he he. One time I gave her a ride home, dropped her off at her car real close to her house, and on that short drive she managed to crash and break her nose. Wow I am really an asshole for letting her drive... but she had had a few hours to sleep in my truck and she seemed sober, so....
Masturbation in the MFA

Wolfman

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 09:28:07 am »
Someone start the "Where Are They Now: Breakfast Fans Edition" thread.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 03:37:06 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman
Someone start the "Where Are They Now: Breakfast Fans Edition" thread.

Good idea, there are lots of people to locate that would make the team stronger.