Author Topic: Rodney Dangerfield Dead at 82  (Read 2848 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Rodney Dangerfield Dead at 82
« on: October 05, 2004, 10:04:42 pm »
:(

Oct. 5, 2004 — LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rodney Dangerfield, the goggle-eyed comic famed for his self-deprecating one-liners and signature phrase "I can\'t get no respect," died on Tuesday at age 82, his publicist said.

Dangerfield, who became a pop culture sensation with a string of broad film comedies starting with "Caddyshack" in 1980, died at 1:20 p.m. PDT (4:20 p.m. EDT) at the UCLA Medical Center, where he had undergone heart valve replacement surgery in August, spokesman Kevin Sasaki said in a statement.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Entertainment/reuters20041005_556.html

Rodney Dangerfield Dies

by Joal Ryan
Oct 5, 2004, 12:00 AM PT

The way Rodney Dangerfield told his signature gag, he was a man who couldn\'t get "no respect." The joke was on the audience.

Dangerfield, the veteran standup whose tie-tugging, hang-dog routine earned him star status from New York to Las Vegas to Hollywood, and whose dedication to comedy helped launch the careers of a generation of stars, has died, Los Angeles broadcast reports said late Wednesday. He was 82.

Dangerfield underwent heart-valve replacement in August 2004. The procedure was the capper on a series of surgeries in recent years that left him, as his official Website observed, "cut up in so many places he feels like he\'s back in his old neighborhood."

Bad health, bad relationships, bad luck--all the hard-luck woes that make people look as bedraggled as Dangerfield appeared on stage and in film were, to him, the stuff of comedy.

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met," went one Dangerfield one-liner. "If it weren\'t for pickpockets, I\'d have no sex life at all," went another.

In an age where comics tell stories and make would-be witty observations, Dangerfield, who began his show-biz career in earnest at age 40, told jokes.

The rim-shot routine worked. He headlined in Vegas, and opened a comedy club in New York. He did The Ed Sullivan Show 16 times. He did the Johnny Carson Tonight Show a whopping 70 times.

In 1980, he translated his persona to film and, at nearly 60, began a run as a top comedy draw at the box office, with Caddyshack, Easy Money and Back to School.

The still-cracking Big Apple comedy club, Dangerfield\'s, provided early TV exposure for the likes of Jim Carrey, Jerry Seinfeld and Roseanne.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,15079,00.html

Rodney Dangerfield, the `Get No Respect\' Comedian, Dies at 82

Oct. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Rodney Dangerfield, the bug-eyed comedian and actor best known for his line, ``I don\'t get no respect,\'\' has died. He was 82.

Dangerfield died at the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, according to an e-mailed statement from publicist Kevin Sasaki.

His wife, Joan Dangerfield, revealed on Sept. 20 in a statement that the comedian had slipped into a coma while recovering from heart surgery at the UCLA Medical Center on Aug. 25. She said then that Dangerfield had begun to show ``signs of awareness.\'\'

The heart valve replacement operation had been planned since April 2003 when Dangerfield had brain bypass surgery to reduce the chances of a stroke during the heart procedure.

Dangerfield had double-bypass heart surgery in 2000 and suffered a heart attack on his 80th birthday in 2001. In 1992, he underwent surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

When Dangerfield was asked how long he would be in the hospital for his latest operation, he responded with a typical quip: ``If things go right, I\'ll be there about a week, and if things don\'t go right, I\'ll be there about an hour and a half.\'\'

Dangerfield\'s shtick was mocking himself. As he constantly tugged at his loosened tie and mopped his forehead, he delivered a steady stream of one-liners about getting ``no respect\'\':

``I\'m so ugly my father carries around the picture of the kid who came with his wallet.\'\'

``I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.\'\'

``I was such an ugly baby my mother never breast-fed me. She told me that she only liked me as a friend.\'\'

``When I was born the doctor came out to the waiting room and told my father, `We did everything we could but he pulled through.\'\'\'

New York Born

Dangerfield was born Jacob Cohen on Nov. 22, 1921, in Babylon, New York. His father was a vaudeville performer known as Phil Roy. Dangerfield started writing jokes when he was 15; he performed in amateur nights when he was 17; and at the age of 19, using the name Jack Roy, he did stand-up comic routines.

He played the comedy circuit on the East Coast for 10 years, leaving it to make a steady income. He relaunched his career in 1963 with the name Rodney Dangerfield and his ``no respect\'\' monologue. Four years later he got his first big break when he appeared on ``The Ed Sullivan Show.\'\'

Dangerfield became a Las Vegas headliner and made frequent appearances on TV talk and variety shows, including ``Saturday Night Live,\'\' ``The Dean Martin Show\'\' and the ``Tonight Show\'\' with Johnny Carson and later Jay Leno.

In 1969, Dangerfield opened his own nightclub in Manhattan, ``Dangerfield\'s,\'\' where he gave several would-be comic stars their first break, including, Jerry Seinfeld, Roseanne, Tim Allen, Jim Carrey and Andrew Dice Clay.

Autobiography and Films

Dangerfield\'s comedy films included ``Caddyshack\'\' (1980), ``Easy Money\'\' (1983), ``Back to School\'\' (1986) and ``Lady Bugs\'\' (1992). He co-wrote the movies ``Meet Wally Sparks\'\' (1997), ``My 5 Wives\'\' (2000) and ``The 4th Tenor\'\' (2002).

He produced the animated feature musical ``Rover Dangerfield\'\' (1991) for Warner Bros. and provided the voice for Rover, as well as wrote the screenplay and co-composed the songs. He played a dramatic role in director Oliver Stone\'s ``Natural Born Killers\'\' (1994).

Dangerfield was scheduled to guest star in the TV sitcom ``Still Standing\'\' in the fall and was to be the voice of himself in the animated comedy ``The Family Guy.\'\'

In 1981 Dangerfield was given a Grammy Award for his comedy album, ``No Respect,\'\' and in 1994 he received the Lifetime Creative Achievement Award from the American Comedy Awards. His trademark white shirt and red tie are on permanent display at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington. He was the first entertainer to personally own a Web site, http://www.rodney.com .

Dangerfield\'s autobiography, ``It\'s Not Easy Being Me: A Lifetime of No Respect but Plenty of Sex and Drugs,\'\' was released in May.

He is survived by his wife and two children from a previous marriage, Brian and Melanie.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aSMxoc3xKcEA&refer=us

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 12:31:04 am »
Rodney\'s gone, but the Triple Lindy lives forever

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 05:28:57 am »
Originally posted by ChrisPitch
Rodney\'s gone, but the Triple Lindy lives forever

:P

leave it to pitch to get in the quote first. Ah hell, shakespeare for everybody - pick a card!
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 11:27:17 am »
Hey I tell ya, I tell ya: I called my doctor the other day and told him I had diarrhea.
He put me on hold.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 11:33:48 am »
"I don\'t believe in casual sex."

"It won\'t be casual. I\'ll keep my tie on."

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 11:54:35 am »
Hey baby, I bet you were something before electricity!
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 12:04:17 pm »
I was so poor growing up.  If I wasn\'t born a boy, I\'d have nothing to play with.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 01:47:00 pm »
"woah, did sombody step on a duck?"
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 03:11:51 pm »
yeaahh...it looks good on you though...

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 05:02:00 pm »
HAAAA!!!!

"you get a free bowl of soup with this hat?"

Originally posted by oldnewbie
yeaahh...it looks good on you though...

"Hey Wang, I think this place is restricted, so dont tell em your jewish"
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 08:22:43 pm »
The little tribute on SNL was very touching. One thing those guys get right no matter the cast is saying good bye.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

dawgmusic

• Are You Talking?
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 08:43:28 pm »
My favorite line has got to be....

"Sorry kids... the rabbit dropped a couple of carrots..."

Easy Money
After speaking with you, I\'ve realized how much dumber I\'ve become.

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 09:03:17 am »
RODNEY DANGERFIELD

Source: National Enquirer, September 2002

Rodney Dangerfield was rushed to a hospital terrified he was having a heart attack - and to calm himself he fired up a joint right in the middle of the Intensive Care Unit! The 80-year-old comic, who has been battling heart disease for more than 10 years - was brought in by his devoted wife Joan, 49, who says her husband panics every time he feels a twinge in his chest.
Rodney came into Saint John\'s Health Canter on Saturday night, August 31, "white as a sheet, drenched in sweat and holding his chest with both hands," an inside source revealed.
"It was obvious he was in a lot of pain."
He was moved to the ICU unit and left alone to change his clothes in the bathroom.
"And when the door was shut he lit up a joint," said the source. "He said later it was to calm his nerves.
"When a nurse opened the bathroom door a cloud of pot smoke hit her in the face!"
An insider disclosed: "When the staff realized what was going on they were furious - and so was Rodney\'s wife!
"They don\'t even allow flowers in the ICU so you can imagine how they feel about any kind of smoke.
"People were shocked. Someone on the floor called security. When they arrived they went into his room to talk to him, but the damage was already done.
"What could they do? They couldn\'t throw an 80-year-old heart patient out on his ear!
"When Rodney sheepishly admitted to smoking pot, he was given a good scolding.
"Some people in the hospital thought it was funny, this old guy sitting in ICU getting high, but the nurses were fit to be tied.
"Rodney sincerely apologized to the staff and told them it would never happen again."
But smoking the joint did calm down the panic-stricken star, said the insider. "Rodney was suddenly much more relaxed and not afraid at all.
"He was so agreeable with everyone. While the nurses got his IV hooked up, he was laughing and telling jokes like there was nothing wrong!"
Rodney began having heart problems in the early 1990s, underwent heart surgery in 1992 and had more surgery in 2000 for an abdominal aneurysm.
But this time, doctors told him his pains were not life-threatening, and he was released on Sunday morning, the insider added. "Rodney was told to take it easy - but to leave the drugs alone!"

Amusing: RODNEY: SURE I SMOKED POT IN HOSPITAL
MY WIFE WON\'T LET ME TOKE AT HOME!

Rodney Dangerfield freely admits that a recent ENQUIRER report that he smoked a joint in a hospital\'s intensive care unit is completely true. But he says he has a perfectly reasonable explanation: "My wife won\'t let me get high at home!"
Two weeks ago we reported exclusively that Rodney\'s wife Joan rushed the 80-year-old comic to Saint John\'s Health Center in Santa Monica because he feared he was having a heart attack.
And he stunned hospital staffers by firing up a marijuana joint while changing his clothes in the ICU.
"Marijuana calms Rodney\'s nerves," said his spokesman Kevin Sasaki, who revealed that his office was flooded by calls - all of them positive - after The ENQUIRER story hit the stands.
"Everyone wanted to tell him, \'You go, Rodney!\' He\'s become a hero of sorts.
"Rodney has a medical history of heart problems. And he finds that smoking grass helps to lower his blood pressure. Right now, keeping his blood pressure low is an important part of Rodney\'s life."
The comic will even write about his love affair with pot in his upcoming memoir, "It Ain\'t Easy Being Me," Sasaki disclosed.
Rodney was released from the hospital when doctors determined that his chest pains were not life-threatening. But by that time he\'d already given everyone around him a dose of his "medicine."
"When hospital personnel complained of the smoke, Rodney thought it was a riot. He wanted everyone to join in the fun," a source revealed.
"He told me he\'s been toking up for nearly 50 years. He said, \'I was a hippie long before hippies were born.\'
"Rodney said he\'s been rolling his own joints for ages now and he doesn\'t intend to stop just because he\'s a senior citizen.
"Smoking **** is something he\'s not ashamed of or tries to hide.
"Though his doctors haven\'t prescribed marijuana as part of his medical treatment, Rodney says he writes his own pot prescriptions.
"He told a friend, \'It makes me feel good. What\'s so wrong with a funnyman wanting to feel good?\'
"Where pot is concerned, Rodney would rather kick the bucket than kick the habit!"

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:25:33 pm by davepeck »
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 01:31:24 pm »
"Where pot is concerned, Rodney would rather kick the bucket than kick the habit!"
Hell\'s Yeah Rodney was the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.