Author Topic: New details about the Seinfeld dvd sets  (Read 3971 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
New details about the Seinfeld dvd sets
« on: August 06, 2004, 10:01:24 am »
From USAToday.com......

An anthology about something
By Susan Wloszczyna, USA TODAY

You wouldn\'t expect a man of wealth and taste, one whose finicky TV alter-ego was turned off by a girlfriend just because she had fungicide in her bathroom, to put out a run-of-the-mill DVD collection

A loser like George Constanza would simply dump the nine seasons of Seinfeld episodes into store bins and be done with it. But that\'s not good enough for Jerry Seinfeld, someone reputed to own 500 pairs of white sneakers. All immaculate.

Sure enough, when the first two volumes (Columbia TriStar, $49.95 each) of shows from the NBC\'s groundbreaking sitcom are released Nov. 23, each four-disc set will pack a veritable Festivus — that special holiday "for the rest of us" — of extras. "If it were just the DVDs, it wouldn\'t be that exciting," says Seinfeld, who estimates it took about three years to gather and edit the archival material. "But it\'s really encyclopedic."

The 18 episodes from the first and second seasons on Volume 1 include two versions of the pilot plus such cherished moments as Jerry\'s disdain of Dockers and Elaine\'s first "get out!\' shove. The 22 shows from the third season on Volume 2 introduce Wayne Knight as Jerry\'s nemesis Newman and such terms as "hand" (as in upper hand) and "the vault" (where secrets are kept sealed in the mind).

With the $119.95 gift set, you get a bonus: Monk\'s Diner salt and pepper shakers shaped like mustard and ketchup containers. Confusing yet cute.

The 24 hours of additional features split between the two volumes include a documentary, bloopers, outtakes, never-seen-before Seinfeld stand-up routines, commentaries and trivia. Ever wonder where Kramer was during the Chinese restaurant episode? The secret is finally revealed.

Seinfeld is most fond of the gag-reel footage. "At the end of each season, we would have a party, and one of the biggest highlights was a 30- to 40-minute gag reel with every scene over the course of the year where we broke up laughing and ruined the tape."

Regular watchers know all too well that the show\'s namesake was most prone to giggle fits. "I took zero pride in acting," he says. "I was just so thrilled when a joke would work." Nevertheless, he won several best-actor awards over the years from various organizations. "None that you would know," he adds.

The DVD announcement will delight fans who have been getting their only fix of Seinfeld\'s lovable yet irksome Manhattanites from syndicated reruns, which are a minute or two shorter than the network versions in the sets.

Money problems, however, almost deleted some extras. Late last year, Seinfeld co-stars Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Elaine) and Jason Alexander (George) were refusing to do commentary tracks and promotional duties if they weren\'t paid for their efforts. Michael Richards (Kramer) agreed to participate but wasn\'t pleased about the lack of extra cash, either.

But all was settled amicably, says Seinfeld executive producer Howard West, who oversaw the DVDs\' production. "The cast, who will render ongoing DVD services through future volumes, will be compensated in direct relation to the success of the DVDs." The rest of the sets probably will be released over the next three years.

Seinfeld, who turned 50 this year ("It\'s over. I\'m done," he jokes), spends most weekends performing stand-up around the country. He has little interest in returning to series TV grind. "Having a sitcom is like being a captain of a ship. Doing stand-up is like surfing on a wave of energy of people laughing. It\'s not about money. It\'s about proving I can do it."

The comic also has proved he can commit. He has been married to his wife, Jessica, since 1999. They live with children Sascha, 3, and Julian, 1, at an East Hampton estate (price: an estimated $35 million) once owned by singer Billy Joel.

How alike are Seinfeld and TV Jerry? "It\'s not a leap to think he wound up where I did." However, "his TV series didn\'t work out. Mine did. He is not living in Billy Joel\'s house."

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 03:45:05 pm »
Long overdue and highly welcomed

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 07:20:14 pm »
here here. i was starting to think this was sienfields retirement fund and we wouldnt see it untill he needed the cash.

9 seasons in 3 years? ug. anyone got 450$ i can borrow?
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 12:01:32 am »
I\'m gonna pay for my DVD\'s by starting a pizza place where you can make your own pie

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 08:36:36 am »
I\'m gonna pay for my dvd\'s by being the first guy to sue chris pitch after burning himself putting my hands in a hot oven at his make your own pie place.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 09:21:55 am »
Then I\'m going to rob Paul.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 12:10:11 pm »
Then, I will make a miraculous recovery from my burnt hands by starting a career in the field of marine biology, with a specialization in removing golf balls from the blow holes of whales

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 01:18:20 pm »
Originally posted by Drew_Kingsley
Then I\'m going to rob Paul.

Gonna take his Marble Rye ?
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2004, 01:57:12 pm »
then, I will date a girl who\'s name sounds like a female body part named _________.

first correct responce gets a dvd disc full of pb flacs.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 02:03:04 pm »
MULVA??

:lol:

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 02:08:32 pm »
ya know, I figured you\'d be the one to answer, seeing how you already have everything I have.

I\'ll still offer you what I got, but I doubt you want any of it dave ;)

alright, follow, dave can\'t play:

who was the real winner of \'the contest\'?

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 02:13:48 pm »
George
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 02:15:10 pm »
WRONG. even though george took the money as the episode aired, george said in the last episode of the season as the plane was going down that he cheated because "i\'m a cheater!"

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2004, 02:16:14 pm »
Originally posted by FrankZappa
ya know, I figured you\'d be the one to answer, seeing how you already have everything I have.

I\'ll still offer you what I got, but I doubt you want any of it dave ;)

but that\'s not what her name was... that was the \'joke\'...

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2004, 02:17:55 pm »
damn, your right. both questions are still open. he did say the correct name at the end of the show as he ran to the window.