Author Topic: REVIEW: Dave Matthews Band: 09/24/03 - Central Park; New York, NY  (Read 2699 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
REVIEW: Dave Matthews Band: 09/24/03 - Central Park; New York, NY
« on: September 25, 2003, 08:36:36 am »

Dave Matthews Band
Wednesday September 24, 2003
Central Park; New York, NY

I: jam, Don’t Drink the Water, So Much To Say > Anyone Seen The Bridge? > Too Much, Granny, Crush, When The World Ends, Dancing Nancies > Warehouse, Ants Marching, Rhyme & Reason, Two Step, Help Myself, Cortez The Killer*, Jimi Thing*, What Would You Say, Where Are You Going, Bass Solo/Star Spangled Banner > All Along The Watchtower

E: Grey Street, What You Are, Stay

* with Warren Haynes on guitar.

---

Where should I start??

It\'s not every day that I come home from a concert and write a review. Usually, I\'ll only write a review if the show was really really good, or really really bad. Today, I am writing a review of the Dave Matthews Band performance at Central Park on September 24, 2003. This one falls into the \'really really good\' category. In fact, it was possibly the best concert I\'ve ever seen in my life.

It had been nearly five years since the last time I had seen DMB - Madison Square Garden in December 1998. I believe it was my 16th DMB show. I walked out halfway through that show, and never looked back. I had become disgusted with the scene surrounding the band, as it had become mostly dizzy drunken kids who are there just to get wasted. But enough about that - this is a positive review.

Since then, I\'ve filled my time seeing other bands - 86 Phish shows, 150+ Psychedelic Breakfast, 8 Pearl Jam, 6 Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc, etc... I\'d still keep tabs on DMB - checking setlists, downloading shows, etc, but it was unlikely that I\'d ever bring myself to go to another DMB show again.

Then a couple weeks ago, DMB announced a free (charity) show in Central Park - the AOL Concert For Schools. Current ticket prices are another thing that has kept me away from DMB, and I felt that if I was ever going to see this band live again, this would be the show to go to. There were approximately 100,000 people expected, and I knew that it could either end up being great, or turning into a nightmare. Tickets for non-fan club members were only available for about a day, and I was able to snag two, for my wife and I.

Doors were set to open at 3:00, with the show starting around 7:30. We got in line to get in around 2:50, and it took about an hour and a half for us to get all the way in. We made our way onto the Great Lawn, and I was blown away by the setup that they had. It was amazing - biggest stage I\'ve ever seen, with 3 big screens above it.. 4 huge video screens spread out on the lawn, almost on their own \'stages\' with their own lights, speakers, and smoke effects.. Cameras *everywhere*... WOW! I was surprised at how close we were able to get. We snagged some real estate on the lawn, and laid down to chill. It was about 73° and sunny - absolutely perfect weather! And so the long wait begins...

Around 6:20, everyone decided to stand up and rush the stage. We didn\'t really want anything to do with that, because we wanted to be able to spread out and dance, and be able to see and enjoy the show. So while everyone was moving up and cramming in, we moved back to a nice open area in the front section, right in front of one of the video screens, with plenty of dancing room, and a clear view of the stage from a far. The Frank Sinatra School Of The Arts choir opened up the show by singing a great rendition of our National Anthem, and DMB took the stage around 7:30.

They opened with a short, quiet jam, before they busted in with an energetic \'Don\'t Drink The Water\'. A typical opener at a DMB show, but an absolutely perfect way to get things going and get the crowd pumped. I found myself dancing immediately, with a huge smile on my face. It was SO good to be seeing this band again, and rocking to the insane beats of my favorite drummer. I knew right off the bat that this would be an incredible night!

The dancing wasn\'t stopping anytime soon with \'So Much To Say\' into an incredibly funky jam, \'Anyone Seen The Bridge\', which led right into a powerful \'Too Much\'. My smile was still going ear to ear, and I just could not believe what I was seeing. The band was on fire, playing some of the tightest jams I\'ve ever heard in my life.

Things slowed down a little bit for the classic \'Granny\', which I was very happy to hear. This was followed by a slow, funky \'Crush\', with a tremendous R&B style pocket laid down by Carter and Stefan. I\'m not a big fan of \'When The World Ends\', so this was kind of a break for me. DMB then played four classics off of their \'Under The Table And Dreaming\' album, which for me was highlighted with \'Dancing Nancies\' > \'Warehouse\'. \'Help Myself\' was another surprise that I was happy to hear, and then DMB was joined by a special guest - Warren Haynes.

Warren absloutely shredded the guitar during a great version of Neil Young\'s \'Cortez The Killer\', featuring Warren and Dave on vocals, and kept it on for a ripping jammed-out version of DMB\'s \'Jimi Thing\', with Buffalo Springfield\'s \'For What It\'s Worth\' (stop, hey, what\'s that sound, everybody look what\'s goin\' down) tagged on at the end. WOW!

More from UTTAD with \'What Would You Say\', before slowing it down with \'Where Are You Going\'. Stefan then started a bass solo, and we knew what was next, but not before he played his own version of \'The Star Spangled Banner\' on the bass. Dave then joined him to start off the cute little baby \'All Along The Watchtower\' which developed into a raging monster before long. Perfect way to close the set - balls to the wall, the same way it started.

At this point, we started to make our way to the exit, as I needed to be on a train home if I wanted a cool 3 hours sleep before waking up for work. We heard \'Grey Street\' on the way out, which I was pretty pist to be missing, but it was loud enough to keep me grooving on the exit. That was the last we heard, so I\'ll have to wait for the DVD to hear the rest.

Anyways, I haven\'t felt this way after a concert in a long time. All the stars were aligned, and everything was in its right place. It was the biggest stage/production/setup I\'d ever seen, there was perfect weather, we were in the most beautiful park in the best city in the world, the sound and lights were amazing, and the band was absolutely on fire. Plus the crowd was well behaved overall, due to the fact that there was no alcohol, and I think that was one of the main reasons why I was able to enjoy the show so much.

Best show I\'ve ever seen? Possible. Very possible. It was great to see this band again, and what they did was one of the coolest things that any band has ever done. This show brought back all the *good* reasons why I used to go see DMB so much, and I\'m incredibly grateful to have been a part of that.

So, if you\'re still reading, congrats! You made it. I\'m done. :)

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 07:25:12 pm »
peck,ill never be able to look at you in the same light.1 thiung was britney spears but another is dave.get a grip man!
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

realisthis

• I Got 99 Problems, But...
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/realisthis?listid=0
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 08:49:30 pm »
:point:
How real is that?

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2003, 11:01:47 am »
freddie wah everybody, freddie wah...

the man who always has the perfect responce to any post.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2003, 09:13:33 pm »
Dave, you were at Big Cypress right?!?!?!
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
Ants Marching (and selling out, and recording shitty albums)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2003, 09:32:39 pm »
Dave

I wonder which took longer: you writing the review or the actual concert.

Seriously though, as someone who used to really like Dave Matthews Band, I\'d like to express my disappointment. We\'ve already talked about the reasons why so I won\'t go into too much further detail. I\'ll just tell everyone on the forum what I told you: if you can look me in the eye in five years and say that Dave Matthews Band (or as die-hard fans like you call them, DMB) put on the best concert that you ever saw, I\'ll shake your hand, buy you a drink, and listen to "I Did It" continously until my eardrums implode, which should occur after the first listening. But you won\'t say that. You\'ll come to your senses and admit that although the show was good it just didn\'t hold any water (which you shouldn\'t drink because there\'s blood in it) to Pearl Jam, Phish, PB, or the many other more-talented, less-concerned-with-their-image bands that you\'ve seen. I don\'t remember watching the surgery in which Dave Matthews had his testicles removed, but I\'m sure I\'ll catch it on The Learning Channel, or better yet, MTV, an channell on which Dave Matthews Band has been all to happy to appear on in recent years with their tired, boring fucking videos.

Granted, Under the Table and Dreaming still holds up as a very good album, and Crash and Crowded Streets are decent, but those last two begin the trend of sappy ballads with dreadful lyrics that comprise the majority of their recent work. And even if they didn\'t play many of those songs at Central Park it was only because they know in their heart how much they suck. And who wants to disappoint a charity crowd with nauseating ballads?

Say it with me Dave: GUILTY AS CHARGED!!! Obviously, you ate too much ***.

Chris Pitch, Nearby the Computer and Puking

But hey, at least Dave Matthews has a great voice, right?

realisthis

• I Got 99 Problems, But...
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/realisthis?listid=0
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2003, 10:30:48 pm »
Ouch.... :slap:
How real is that?

davepeck

• Administrator
Re: Ants Marching (and selling out, and recording shitty albums)
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2003, 12:06:04 am »
Originally posted by ChrisPitch
some completely mindless, ignorant dribble......

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

and remember folks, if you ever have an opinion about something that doesn\'t match the opinion of ChrisPitch, you\'re wrong.

:no:

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
This is great
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2003, 08:43:35 pm »
Pitch the Bitch and Wah-Hum-Bug...world\'s funniest people!

Haven\'t seen DMB in 4 years, but had fun at the 2 shows I went to.  I\'m sure they ripped if DP said so.  It couldn\'t have hurt that this was probably the largest gathering of drunken high school girls in American history!  (Seriously...think about it.)  Sounds like the success of the show had as much to do with the moment as the actual band.  This goes for any show, but stands out here.  If the weather and the setting and the stage setup and the crowd are all so perfect, you could throw Creed up on the stage and still have a  great time.  But hey, it\'s DMB, which is better than most, and certainly the best band that could pull off a show of this magnitude.  (Phish could pull it off but it would be too sketchy...Radiohead might be the exception.)  Sorry I missed it!

Wolfman - Under the Table and Giving Dave Matthews Head

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
I Did It
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2003, 01:57:05 pm »
Yipes! Apparently, I\'m guilty as charged. But only of honestly expressing how I feel about the band in discussion.

CP

Mass Hole

Taking Opinions Too Seriously?
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2003, 10:41:43 pm »
Thats what seems to be going on here. I was at the Matthews show myself. It didnt come close to "IT" or any other Phish festival for that matter. According to these replies Someone thinks it was better than Big Cypress? I wasnt there but ive heard the midnight to sunrise set. That alone was better than any DMB show ive ever seen. His studio stuff isnt what it used to be and I often wonder if it ever will. I would rather see the past 6 PB shows I\'ve seen again than see DMB show in NY a second time. Myself and other people I know who went were dissapointed with the crowd scene (too many 15 year old girls). If I had to choose a highlight of the show, it would have been the solid jamming in the Under The Table And Dreaming songs. If I had to grade it... C+.

SkyePrizm

• separator
Re: Re: Ants Marching (and selling out, and recording shitty albums)
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2003, 07:40:41 pm »
Originally posted by davepeck

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

and remember folks, if you ever have an opinion about something that doesn\'t match the opinion of ChrisPitch, you\'re wrong.

:no:

Oh, but isn\'t that part of Chris\' charm?