Author Topic: Looking for 12/4/04 audio...  (Read 7836 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Looking for 12/4/04 audio...
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2005, 07:58:22 pm »
wow.. i can\'t tell you how upsetting and aggrevating it is to have to read and respond to this. i really shouldn\'t have to be posting this and defending anything, but alas, it seems like it needs to be done, even when the person provoking it knows exactly what goes on behind the scenes, so here goes..
Originally posted by freddiewaht
were all waiting..the taper staff is hard at work,as we speak,to make sure we all have the best possible product in our hands...which,in retrospect,i appreciate

yea,in about 3-4 months,when nobody really cares about the show anymore,itll be available for download on archive....

yea,fugure around midapril,well have the new sullys show in our hands....

it\'s really nice to see you lose your patience and appreciation all in one shot there, fred. that kind of attitude REALLY makes me want to come home from work at night and get cracking on a show to get it in people\'s hands quicker. call me crazy, but making derogatory, selfish posts doesn\'t sound like a good way to make something you want happen any faster.. :confused: all it really does is make you look like a spoiled, ungrateful baby.

let me make a couple things really clear. i am *not* a breakfast taperfan. i\'m the band\'s archivist, and when i record a show, my first priority is to get the best sounding recording i possibly can for the band\'s archive. sometimes that means sacrificing an audience* recording in order to place my mics on stage instead. if there are no \'tapers\' in the crowd on that particular night, then no audience recording is made. the breakfast has an open taping policy - *anyone* can show up to a show with microphones and record. so freddie, you seem to have a lot of free time on your hands lately - i highly suggest that if you\'re unhappy with the current rate at which shows are recorded, mixed, and handed to you for free, that you go out, purchase your own rig, and start recording shows yourself. a rig like mine will only run you back around $3500, and i\'d be more than happy to help you out when you\'re purchasing all your equipment.

Originally posted by leith
Yeah some people can only listen to what comes up on archive. I understand needing to make sure ser recordings are out there but damn. I know a few people who would be more interested in The Breakfast if they had newer material to listen to. I know for a fact some of these folk have become big UM fans because they can get new UM quickly from the many many tapers of UM. also why can a rough mix or something be released somewhere other than archive and leave archive recordings as SER as can be. that\'s my 2 cents

leith, i really can\'t believe that you\'re hopping on board with freddie on this one. you usually look at the big picture..

you mention \'newer material\'.. the last b\'fast show to be available for download was toad\'s NYE, which i made the audience recording available the day after the show. the band has played exactly 4 shows since then. call me crazy, but i think that\'s pretty recent. the next show back is the 11/26 knitting factory show, only 3 shows before NYE.. there\'s plenty of new b\'fast material, there\'s just not so many one-day turnarounds anymore*...

you also mention \'many many UM tapers\'.. bingo. UM is playing theatres, b\'fast is playing clubs.. the b\'fast doesn\'t have \'many many\' tapers.. in fact, the b\'fast hardly have ANY tapers at the moment.. right now, i\'m doing everything in my power to try to create a network of tapers who are into the b\'fast, and to get all shows recorded that i/matt/chris can\'t attend.. it\'s not easy though. people are hesitant enough to go see a band they\'re unfamiliar with, let alone do some leg work and record them.

* as far as the \'rough mix\' thing goes (and here\'s where i\'ll touch on both my *\'s from above) - if i have mics placed in the audience, AND it was a great show, AND the aud mix sounds good enough, i\'ll get that out ASAP. this is what i did with toad\'s NYE. the band and i have a policy/process that we go through with all soundboard/matrix recordings (which freddie knows well about, although he pretends not to). when i get a board/matrix recording, after i\'m done mixing it, it\'s submitted to the band for approval. if the band likes the show, AND if the recording is good enough, they will try to make money off of it - submitting it to JamBase Raphsody, selling @ the merch table, etc. such a recording will be sold for a period of time, before it is made available to the public a few months down the road. if the band does NOT deem a recording worthy of marketing, you will see it available for download as soon as i hear the word, unless the recording is truly awful and flawed (ie; The Call 12/10/04), in which case, you\'ll likely never see it.

releasing a show in the way i did toad\'s place (releasing the AUD immediately, while submitting matrix to band for approval) requires me to do double the work on a single show. when i mix a matrix, i have to sit and listen to a show all the way through, while making level adjustments where needed. after that, i\'ll usually listen through a 2nd time to see how it sounds, before mixing the 2 tracks together as one. when that\'s done, the track needs to be normalized, and fades need to be added to the beginning and end of the show/set(s).. the track needs to then be split up into discs, and the discs then need to be split into tracks. the files then need to be compressed, and song/show information needs to be added to each track. a fingerprint of the show must be made, along with a text file with setlist/disc/track/time info, along with all recording info. this entire process (with the exception of the mixing) needs to be done twice if i am to create 2 \'versions\' of the show.. that\'s a lot of time, and as drew mentioned (thanks drew) i *do* have a career that sort of takes up a good chunk of my week (and i fully take into consideration that this is a foreign concept to you, fred), while a pretty damn good percentage of my spare time is spent trying to make breakfast fans happy (recording shows, working on shows, oh, and there\'s this little website thing too..).. so hopefully that clears up the misconception that when someone records a show, they can just snap their fingers and upload it; no, there\'s actually some work involved..

if you\'re still not happy, well, i don\'t know what to tell you, but this will be my final statement on the matter (with the exception of a possible sticky in \'Score\' soon). if you think you can do it better, go ahead. no one\'s stopping you. but for fuck\'s sake, don\'t come here and question ANY lack of ANYthing done by me for this band and its fans. it\'s really utterly disgusting to know that some people can be so unappreciative..

Originally posted by Drew_Kingsley
I mean, it\'s not like Dave, Matt, and Chris have jobs or lives... get this shit up there :drew:

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2005, 08:20:08 pm »
:doh:  Peck, I honestly believe that Wah was speaking the honest truth regarding the below quote.  I was actually amazed thinking that he was being ser and giving the due credit to the due folk.  The same way a square is still a rectangle, I would say a bands archivest is part of a bands "taper staff"....  

I can only speak for myself here, but I appreciate all the work that dobz, mandler, jut, wah, you, fitzy, vallo, mark (of the mark and evelyn connection), tickler, diana, lisa spear\'s brother whom I have met on a couple of occasions but still dont remember his name, and the countless others who have taken their free time for the band.  It is one of the main reasons I have seen 81 Breakfast shows and cannot fucking wait for my 82nd. I think that is pretty much the feeling on this board globaly.  well except for mr west coast ***, but lets not get into that on this post....

were all waiting..the taper staff is hard at work,as we speak,to make sure we all have the best possible product in our hands...which,in retrospect,i appreciate

Oh and this board is great for breakin tapergeeks balls rotfl
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2005, 08:43:39 pm »
Don\'t worry dave, I think most of us are with you on this. This is my third year of being a breakfast fan (yeah, so it took me a while to find the board!) and I\'m still looking forward to getting to CT to see a homestate gig. I\'d love to come over tomorrow, but family, work, cash etc all govern what I do.

It sucks to see a great show being discussed which I can\'t listen to, let alone have been at, but putting these shows out takes time. I know from my own experience how long it can take to just seed a show on easytree - transfers, declicking, volume adjustments, cutting into tracks, converting to flac, renaming, testing, working out and typing textfiles, generating MD5s, creating torrents and finally uploading them. I list the whole process to make the point - these jobs take time. Just to transfer a single CD show can take the best part of a day, let alone the problems you guys have on mixing multiple inputs.

FWIW, I agree with gencs that freddie is being sarcastic in his own inimitable way, but for those not used to the process, thought something needed to be said.
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2005, 08:49:24 pm »
check out the vocab on boombox, making me hit refdesk.com for a definition to inimitable...  nice on.  i bet it even sounded smarter with your accent.....

i dont know if i am confused here, but i am saying that wahs comments, the quote in my post there, were posative and reassuring and ment no balls a busted... i remember reading it and going wow, wah must have just got laid or something......i dont know...
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2005, 08:58:00 pm »
Didn\'t want to edit my post and incur the wrath of the anti-edit brigade. Sorry, I was referring to his comments on the Sully\'s show -

quote:Originally posted by freddiewaht
    yea,in about 3-4 months,when nobody really cares about the show anymore,itll be available for download on archive....

quote:Originally posted by freddiewaht
    yea,fugure around midapril,well have the new sullys show in our hands....

To me that looks like typical freddie good-natured ball-busting.  Not too sure about leith\'s post though...
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2005, 08:59:35 pm »
edit for life bitches
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 09:47:27 pm by Stephengencs »

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2005, 09:40:05 pm »
Originally posted by davepeck
[B
leith, i really can\'t believe that you\'re hopping on board with freddie on this one. you usually look at the big picture..

you mention \'newer material\'.. the last b\'fast show to be available for download was toad\'s NYE, which i made the audience recording available the day after the show. the band has played exactly 4 shows since then. call me crazy, but i think that\'s pretty recent. the next show back is the 11/26 knitting factory show, only 3 shows before NYE.. there\'s plenty of new b\'fast material, there\'s just not so many one-day turnarounds anymore*...

you also mention \'many many UM tapers\'.. bingo. UM is playing theatres, b\'fast is playing clubs.. the b\'fast doesn\'t have \'many many\' tapers.. in fact, the b\'fast hardly have ANY tapers at the moment.. right now, i\'m doing everything in my power to try to create a network of tapers who are into the b\'fast, and to get all shows recorded that i/matt/chris can\'t attend.. it\'s not easy though. people are hesitant enough to go see a band they\'re unfamiliar with, let alone do some leg work and record them.

if you\'re still not happy, well, i don\'t know what to tell you, but this will be my final statement on the matter (with the exception of a possible sticky in \'Score\' soon). if you think you can do it better, go ahead. no one\'s stopping you. but for fuck\'s sake, don\'t come here and question ANY lack of ANYthing done by me for this band and its fans. it\'s really utterly disgusting to know that some people can be so unappreciative..

[/B]

1st off come on now Dave you out of anyone know how much I appreciate all the work you and Matt and various others put in for these guys. I even told Wah he needed to start recruiting people to tape shows.
 The turnaround factor is not an issue for me unless I read how this show or that show was sooooo ser and then have no recourse but to avoid those threads discussing said show and decreasing my ability to live vicariously through all those lucky enough to have attended until said show is released.  As far as the big picture i feel the guys need to go UM style sell the matrix SBD\'s(via Disclogic)and still allow taping.  Then I can get a show pronto if I read it is worth it or wait for the free one to show on archive. Newer material well that will come as shows are released and the guys open their song rotation a bit.

Originally posted by Stephengencs
:

I can only speak for myself here, but I appreciate all the work that dobz, mandler, jut, wah, you, fitzy, vallo, mark (of the mark and evelyn connection), tickler, diana, lisa spear\'s brother whom I have met on a couple of occasions but still dont remember his name, and the countless others who have taken their free time for the band.  It is one of the main reasons I have seen 81 Breakfast shows and cannot fucking wait for my 82nd. I think that is pretty much the feeling on this board globaly.  well except for mr west coast ***, but lets not get into that on this post....

No let\'s get into that here. OK so i guess what you\'re saying is I do not appreciate all the work people do for this band . OK i guess you have been reached by those that Hate. Stevie I really do not understand why I spent all those hours burning discs and handing them out and passing out flyers, and callin\' people on the phone to inform them of the Breakfast playing, or why I fought for a spot @ Baja Bash that would allow the band to play longer than they would have in a different earlier slot if I did not love this band. Can you?
WTF?

Originally posted by boombox

To me that looks like typical freddie good-natured ball-busting.  Not too sure about leith\'s post though...

Andy don\'t sweat it.

Edited to say to Wah Screw you see if i get your back again. See what happens?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 09:43:45 pm by leith »
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2005, 09:51:17 pm »
Leith, I am just saying that I dont think you do very much but spread negativity and muck-a-luck amongst this board.....

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2005, 10:28:12 pm »
i hesitate to comment since i\'m so prone to arguments according to freddie, (the pot calling the kettle black) but i didn\'t feel leith was being critical of dave. it seemed more to me he was just expressing his breakfast jones frustration.dave will of course take it how it feels to him but that was my impression. i think everyone here will join me in expressing to dave that we all very much appreciate every thing you do and i for one take none of it for granted. i often wonder how you continually do it and sincerly hope you don\'t run out of gas. you have to run low every now and then, but please please please understand that i think what you do is amazing and i would bet that leith does also.

leith

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2005, 10:29:49 pm »
So if my views are not in line w/ all you I am negative. great logic. I guess if i did not stand up for my points of view and just ran the party line I would be accepted? Whatever. I guess you should just put me on the ignore list too man because i will continue to voice opposing points of view as I see fit.

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2005, 10:32:36 pm »
i would also like to add that fitz and matt along with all the other taper geeks have my utmost thanks as well

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2005, 11:00:44 pm »
So if my views are not in line w/ all you I am negative. great logic. I guess if i did not stand up for my points of view and just ran the party line I would be accepted? Whatever. I guess you should just put me on the ignore list too man because i will continue to voice opposing points of view as I see fit.

you are too easy.  maybe its your laid back west coast ways....

your balls....

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2005, 11:01:00 pm »
...I\'m bustin em....

leith

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2005, 11:14:50 pm »
LOL dude you had me lock stock and barrel. I mean i was thrown. Shit i xpect it from a few on here but you..... OK now i\'m on the look out didn\'t realize how shady u were.

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
Didn\'t mean to offend you, leith
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2005, 05:41:36 am »
Don\'t worry leith - I do know all the work you\'ve done in pushing the band on the West Coast. Just thought your post was a bit more negative than it was, perhaps because of that very support you give the band. Hence my "I\'m not sure.." comment.

Still not sure about the Disclogic route though. Give me a well listened to, correctly mixed matrix any day over an on-the-fly SBD.