Author Topic: The 2006-07 National Football League Thread  (Read 13779 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
The 2006-07 National Football League Thread
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2007, 02:16:07 pm »
WTF???????? A month after saying Marty would stay, Dean Spanos freaked out and Marty is gone!!
Now they need to find a whole new coaching staff. just when the franchise gets turned around.... :sigh:
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2007, 02:21:04 pm »
Quote from: leith;134568
WTF???????? A month after saying Marty would stay, Dean Spanos freaked out and Marty is gone!!
Now they need to find a whole new coaching staff. just when the franchise gets turned around.... :sigh:

he\'s proven time and time again that he can\'t win in the big game. the best player in the league had EIGHT touches in the second half of your most recent playoff loss. nip it in the bud now, and bring someone in who can win while you still have the players to win with.

meanwhile, the giants got 6 games out of Lavar Arrington\'s SEVEN YEAR contract.. Pettigout and Emmons also gone..

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2007, 02:28:04 pm »
i think they held on to marty just long enough to
A - prevent him from going to another nfl team, especially the raiders
B - give pete carroll enough time to get his recruits to come to usc before he signs with the chargers
C - since the offensive and defensive coordinators already left they promoted two assistants to fill these spots. it wouldnt make sense for these two to work under marty and learn his sytem for only one year (the remainder of his contract). may as well start fresh with a whole new coaching staff in \'07.

dont know if B is true or not but it would make a lot of sense.
Smell my mule.

leith

« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2007, 02:44:18 pm »
I get why he was let go but the timing is shit!  Yeah Marty and AJ Smith(GM) don\'t get along and this was needed for the organization as a whole but come on!

They could have promoted Cam Cameron or Wade Phillips and kept the continuity of coaching intact. You cannot tell me that either one of them would have not accepted the job due to loyalty to Marty or whatever. It\'s a Prime coaching job w/ the team that is there now.
Either one would have been a great fit as Head Coach as has been proven.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:47:21 pm by leith »

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2007, 04:13:39 pm »
wow. im sorry to report this leith but im sure you already know that the chargers hired norv turner as their new head coach. that cant be good. when he was with the raiders he went 1-11 in divisional games over his 2 years there. yikes. i know it was the raiders and all but still, thats awful. he has a lot more talent in san diego so hopefully it all works out.
Smell my mule.

leith

« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2007, 04:59:02 pm »
Quote from: booztravlr;135757
wow. im sorry to report this leith but im sure you already know that the chargers hired norv turner as their new head coach. that cant be good. when he was with the raiders he went 1-11 in divisional games over his 2 years there. yikes. i know it was the raiders and all but still, thats awful. he has a lot more talent in san diego so hopefully it all works out.

It was the raiders. It\'s not like they got any better when he was let go.

At first I was taken aback and kind of bummed but upon further reflection, I trust the GM AJ Smith.
He has had tremendous success in the draft and has filled the Chargers roster w/ mass talent. Marty was not hired by him and they had a horrible relationship.
He has a great relationship w/ Norv which can only be a better situation for the organization as a whole.
AJ has hired the man that installed the current Charger Offense based around LT, turned around an aimless Offense in S.F. and Alex Smith into a real NFL QB last year, and is the man credited by Troy Aikman as the mind behind Dallas\'s SB run in the early nineties.

He does have experience in the AFC West and seems to be a hire for a "win before it gets away" mentality.
 He does have the potential though to hang around and form the same thing he had in Dallas. The Chargers just need a WR to form the "new troika".
With the supposed hire of Ted Cottrell the Defense seems to be just fine also.

So for me I am just as hopeful of the coming year as I was for the past one and looking 4ward to talking trash by myself in the 2007-2008 NFL thread.

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2007, 08:48:10 pm »
the colts and chargers will be squaring off next season so ill be sure to join you in trash talking.
Smell my mule.

leith

« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2007, 09:09:11 pm »
Looking 4ward to it.

leith

« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2007, 02:26:39 am »
So Ron Rivera just got hired as Linebackers Coach for The Chargers after being let go as DC for the Bears and actually interviewing for the Chargers HC job last week.

I would say the Defense is in fine hands w/ Cottrell and Rivera leading them.

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2007, 09:10:48 am »
yeah, thats a great signing. it\'s all coming up milhouse now.

[edit]
dominic rhodes was arrested for DUI last night. i sense a contract offer from the bengals in his future
[/edit]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 10:24:23 am by booztravlr »
Smell my mule.