Author Topic: Fonghoulish VIII, Toad\'s Place, 10/27  (Read 26141 times)

Ant-Man

• govt.cheeze
Fonghoulish VIII, Toad\'s Place, 10/27
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2006, 03:47:49 am »
Just want to praise again the fact that this show is not at the webster.

Course my toads experiences have been not perfect in the past as well...but I much rather go to my home town venue, then truck up there for shitty sound ect...

My major gripe about toads would be the placement of the under 21 side is situated right in front of ronnies stacks.  Giving the listener i think a somewhat altered sound of TB.
3-4-05:  Inspired, enlightened, surprised, excited, confused, evoked euphoria, focused, newfound faith in music.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2006, 08:22:00 am »
if I heard correctly....no more fence at toads! (but I could easily be wrong)
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2006, 10:05:47 am »
The current incarnation of the Toad\'s fence is only about 4.5 feet high.  It is not in the way of anything anymore.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2006, 10:45:46 am »
it still looks weird on video - theres a big empty space right in front of ron from the wide shot. I always though toads would so much better a club without the fence, but I guess you have to do something. :idunno:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2006, 10:49:30 am »
Sure you have to do something... but they COULD just do what every other venue I have ever been to does...
Masturbation in the MFA

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2006, 11:24:10 am »
Quote from: FrankZappa
it still looks weird on video - theres a big empty space right in front of ron from the wide shot. I always though toads would so much better a club without the fence, but I guess you have to do something. :idunno:

Connecticut state law dictates the fence.  It is very explict on minium dimensions.  It also supposed to be permanent, which Toad\'s (ahem) complies with by having part of the fence up at all times.

Quote from: jocelyn
Sure you have to do something... but they COULD just do what every other venue I have ever been to does...

Make all shows 21+?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 11:24:10 am by wildcoyote »

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2006, 11:59:29 am »
How can it be CT state law? There isn\'t a wall at say.. the Webster... which is not 21+
Masturbation in the MFA

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2006, 12:30:15 pm »
How can it be CT state law? There isn\'t a wall at say.. the Webster... which is not 21+

Okay, the CT General Statutes takes 3 pages to explain this, and I\'m attempting to do so in a paragraph.
As far as state law is concerned, the Webster and Toad\'s, despite their obvious similarities are apples and oranges. The Webster is a theater in the same category as the Oakdale, and Toad\'s is bar (technically a "caberet") and the same category as, say Daniel Street or even Richters, so they have different rules and standards to adhere to regarding everything from taxation to fire code.  What falls where can be very subjective, and is a constant source of legal battles in the industry.
For the record Toad\'s management and employees hate that fucking fence without exception.  It\'s bad for bar business, bands and customers bitch about it endlessly, and it is a heavy, poorly constructed nuisance to put up and take down.  The almighty liquor commision mandates it, and it is so.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2006, 04:28:15 pm »
Gotcha. Thanks.
Masturbation in the MFA

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2006, 04:43:18 pm »

yeah but, the Webster has an area that you can not leave if you have a drink in your hand or can not enter if your not 21+ so really it is the same idea.  you can\'t get to the bar if your not 21+
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2006, 08:31:02 pm »
woot woot...pumped about this show. October is gonna be a rockin month.
kate, if you cant find a ride get in touch. Im sure me or one of my many roomies can help ya out.
:banguitar: :banboogy2:

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2006, 08:52:50 pm »
Quote from: sallyalli
kate, if you cant find a ride get in touch. Im sure me or one of my many roomies can help ya out.

howwa bout you and those many roommates flyer/poster eastern and uconn?
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
« Reply #162 on: August 31, 2006, 08:54:53 pm »
Quote from: Me!

yeah but, the Webster has an area that you can not leave if you have a drink in your hand or can not enter if your not 21+ so really it is the same idea.  you can\'t get to the bar if your not 21+

Oh no kidding I didn\'t realize. I\'ve never been there.
Masturbation in the MFA

kyndkate

• Vicious.
« Reply #163 on: September 01, 2006, 01:45:54 am »
Quote from: sallyalli

Thanks a ton...what\'s awesome about you guys is that I *knew* I wouldn\'t have a problem getting someone to help me out. I am really looking forward to meeting each and every one of you. All I ever hear about from the gang when they\'re in the Midwest is how crazy, loving, and legit you are.

I think Spacey will pick me up in the hott Mom Van on Friday afternoon, but I\'m up for anything on the way to SERacuse/being dropped off at the Syracuse airport on Sunday. And Gencs texted me today about bringing my violin - I would love to do that, but I\'m not sure how the airlines are about that kind of stuff. There\'s NO WAY I would put it through baggage, but it\'s too long for a carry-on. Anyone have experience with this?
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be." -Douglas Adams

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #164 on: September 01, 2006, 02:23:50 am »
Quote from: kyndkate
And Gencs texted me today about bringing my violin - I would love to do that, but I\'m not sure how the airlines are about that kind of stuff. There\'s NO WAY I would put it through baggage, but it\'s too long for a carry-on. Anyone have experience with this?

A violin?  I\'ve seen bands bring guitars and bass on the plane as carry-on luggage.  I think I violin might be ok.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex