Author Topic: Pearl Jam DVD Spotlights New York Show, Plus Rarities Album  (Read 7293 times)

realisthis

• I Got 99 Problems, But...
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/realisthis?listid=0
Pearl Jam DVD Spotlights New York Show, Plus Rarities Album
« on: September 27, 2003, 02:17:16 pm »
Pearl Jam is eschewing a comprehensive DVD of its 2003 Riot Act tour in favor of spotlighting one particularly noteworthy show from the trek. The double-disc "Live at the Garden," capturing the band\'s July 8 performance at New York\'s Madison Square Garden, will arrive Nov. 11 via Epic. On the same day, the label will issue a long-in-the-works set of rarities, although no information on that collection has yet been confirmed.

The sold-out July 8 show came at the tail end of the three-month tour and found Pearl Jam unleashing a 30-song, nearly three-hour set. Highlights included a guest appearance by Ben Harper on "Daughter" and "Indifference," the band\'s only third-ever performance of the pre-Pearl Jam act Mother Love Bone\'s "Crown of Thorns" and a furious run through the Who\'s "Baba O\'Riley" with all of the arena lights turned on.

The concert went on for so long that Pearl Jam faced a several thousand dollar fine for breaking an 11 p.m. curfew. Frontman Eddie Vedder told the crowd that the stage floor was literally shaking from the audience volume, a feat venue officials said had only ever happened at performances by Bruce Springsteen, the Grateful Dead and Iron Maiden. The venue later waived the curfew violation fine.

Bonus features on the DVD include a 5.1 audio mix and a video for the controversial "Riot Act" track "Bu$hleaguer." "Live at the Garden" was shot by Liz Burns, Steve Gordon and Kevin Shuss, the same team that collaborated on the 2000 tour DVD "Touring Band 2000."

As previously reported, Pearl Jam will return to the concert stage Oct. 25 at Neil Young\'s annual Bridge School Benefit outside of San Francisco.

Here is the "Live at the Garden" track list:

"Love Boat Captain"
"Last Exit"
"Save You"
"Green Disease"
"In My Tree"
"Cropduster"
"Even Flow"
"Gimme Some Truth"
"I Am Mine"
"Low Light"
"Faithfull"
"Wishlist"
"Lukin"
"Grievance"
"1/2 Full"
"Black"
"Spin The Black Circle"
"Rearviewmirror"
"You Are"
"Thumbing My Way"
"Daughter" (with Ben Harper)
"Crown of Thorns"
"Breath"
"Better Man"
"Do the Evolution"
"Crazy Mary"
"Indifference" (with Ben Harper)
"Sonic Reducer" (with the Buzzcocks\' Tony Barber)
"Baba O\'Riley"
"Yellow Ledbetter"

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
How real is that?

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 06:56:28 am »
I was at both of these shows, and I must say they could have picked several other nights of the tour that were much better concerts. Why not release the mansfiled shows? three concerts, every song they knew they played, one set intirely acoustic, etc.
or the state college, pa show? last night of first leg, the show never ended! Much longer than either msg with better playing.

Or the homdel, nj show? 4th from last show of tour, last show in north america, first pearl jam performance of Hunger strike since temple of the dog broke up!!!! Eddie doing springsteen songs solo, etc.

I could keep comming up with examples, and I know its all opinion, but after seeing them 5 times this summer, and hanging out with people who saw them 15-25 times this summer, all I\'m saying is there were better shows than msg. If they give me a free msg poster along with the dvd though, then you\'ve got a deal.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 08:30:16 am »
of the 8 PJ shows i saw this summer, MSG1 and Mansfield3 were prolly my favorites..

realisthis

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 02:01:31 pm »
Ehh, although I missed the msg shows, but went to all 3 Tweeter Center shows and I would want be in favor of a touring band 2003 dvd...I am satisfied with the MSG I as a selection.

MSG I....Love Boat Captain was soo sweet and classic and perfect for an opener...We actually get to watch them do CROWN OF FREAKIN THORNS!!!! I think the 3rd time ever LOWLIGHT or something like that...BREATH!!! Plus some stuff they didnt put on touring band 2k such as black...god, I wish they could have thrown hail hail on that setlist instead of the second night!
How real is that?

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 05:31:03 am »
actually, after re-reading this, i noticed that its just the first night msg. I though they were releasing both nights as one dvd, and the second was nothing compaired to the first show. We\'ll still get it, but I\'d still rather have the mansfield shows on dvd. just my opinion.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 08:36:38 am »
According to VH1.com, the long awaited rarities album will be a 2CD set, titled Lost Dogs!

As previously reported, Lost Dogs will arrive on November 11, along with the Live at the Garden DVD. Here\'s the tracklisting.

Disc one:
"All Night"
"Sad"
"Down"
"In the Moonlight"
"Hitchhiker"
"Don\'t Gimme No Lip"
"Walking"
"Alone"
"Education"
"\'U\'"
"Black, Red, Yellow"
"Leaving Here"
"Gremmie Out of Control"
"Whale Song"
"Undone"
"Hold On"
"Yellow Ledbetter"
Disc two:
"Fatal"
"Other Side"
"Hard to Imagine"
"Footsteps"
"Wash"
"Dead Man"
"Strangest Tribe"
"Drifting"
"Let Me Sleep"
"Angel"
"Last Kiss"
"Sweet Lew"
"Dirty Frank"
"Brother Instrumental"
"Bee Girl"
The article includes some more news on the Live at the Garden DVD as well:

The DVD also has a montage accompanying the song "Fortunate Son," with guest performances from ex-Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr, Sleater-Kinney, Steve Earle, former PJ drummer Jack Irons, Ben Harper, ZZ Top\'s Billy Gibbons, Heart\'s Ann and Nancy Wilson, Idlewild and the Buzzcocks.
A live video for "Bushleaguer," shot at various performances on the group\'s 2003 Riot Act world tour, is included, as are live outtakes set to the song "Down" and a "Matt Cam" drummer\'s-eye view of the show, shot from behind the kit of Matt Cameron.

:jawdrop::holyshit: :jawdrop:

realisthis

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 01:24:23 pm »
Dave...What do you think of the song selection for that rarities album?
How real is that?

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 01:45:22 pm »
there\'s like 9 songs i\'ve never even heard of before!! the rest are pretty much expected.. glad the binaural outtakes are on there..

realisthis

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2003, 04:24:06 pm »
Yeah, it\'s kind of weird.....I dont think ANYONE has heard of those titles before..guess thats what they meant by "rare and unreleased" eh? I wonder why they have last kiss, but no solider of love also? Ya figured maybe they might throw breath or state of love and trust for the hell of it and leaving here? Crazy Mary studio version? Leatherman? I got shit? Long road?....I\'m not complaining...I\'m just comparing cause I made my own Pearl Jam rarities 2 disc set a few years back. Cant wait to buy this baby though!!
How real is that?

realisthis

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2003, 05:47:20 pm »
BTW....I heard rumors of another benefit show in Seattle for all you west coasters...
How real is that?

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2003, 06:07:29 am »
it was confirmed on seattle radio on monday night, 5pm..