Author Topic: Setlist: 2006-04-28 - House Of Blues; Chicago, IL  (Read 14089 times)

estahwhaddup

• probably the only asian
Setlist: 2006-04-28 - House Of Blues; Chicago, IL
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2006, 12:25:03 am »
have some friends from omaha at the cabooze right now, will try to have them post a review as well.  recruited a lot of first timers too (including my bestest friend)!!  hopefully they\'ll dig the show.  i\'m expecting late night drunken dials once the show is over
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -Aldous Huxley

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 12:27:53 am »
Imagine that. A crowd not there for The Breakfast confused by the music emanating from the stage. Too Many notes. :lol:
And people wonder why I think it SO important for Tim to chill in his playing sometimes.
For The Breakfast crowd he can do what ever he wants and most eat it up, the masses that have no clue abt The Breakfast and their style can be overwhelmed within the first few measures of most Bfast songs.

Oh well it sounds like a great gig anyway.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2006, 01:22:54 am »
lieth, just cause the masses might not "get" the band, i don\'t think that means tim should "chill". i don\'t really think that is the answer to all the breakfast\'s problems. if the breakfast started sounding more like tlg i would be pissed. should they change their sound to appeal to the masses? i hope they dont have to.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 01:27:37 am by Gfunk »
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

leith

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2006, 01:38:15 am »
Quote from: Gfunk
lieth, just cause the masses might not "get" the band, i don\'t think that means tim should "chill". i don\'t really think that is the answer to all the breakfast\'s problems. if the breakfast started sounding more like tlg i would be pissed. should they change their sound to appeal to the masses? i hope they dont have to.

Well even Tim knows he needs to "chill" every once and awhile and that is a reason he is ACTIVELY seeking how he can do that in his style of playing. As for being the answer to all their prbblems I never said it was and don\'t worry The Bfast will NEVER sound like TLG. Thank goodness for that.

Oh and if you have not noticed the Breakfast sound may not have changed but the songwriting has and most of the songs being debuted are WAAYY more appealing to the "masses".

Also there is a difference in playing for a crowd not there to see you and a crowd there devoted to you. I thought the setlist was perfect for the audience and was surprised @ reports of folks not getting it.

Thank God the guys knew better than to play a Buquebus in front of that crowd.

Gfunk

• Papa^
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2006, 02:01:36 am »
well, i do like most all the new songs, good things is f\'n great and i think that is one of their more poppy songs, i just don\'t want to see all of their new material going in that direction. also, i think a buquebus is pretty much always a crowd pleaser. keep it intense-balls-to-the-wall. the rastas cant be that stoned to appreciate good music. and lieth i\'m not trying to talk shit right now, i\'m just doin a little drinkin\' and postin\'.

leith

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2006, 02:09:41 am »
Dude if they could not handle Rufus there is no way they could handle a Buquebus :lol: and from the reports of 2 folk that were there the rastas WERE too stoned to appreciate good music.

I am sure a raging beast of a song is awaiting in the wings no worries.

oh and it\'s Leith not lieth. thanx.

Gfunk

• Papa^
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2006, 02:16:45 am »
soory brah. i just thought i before e. like i said i\'m drinkin\' & postin\' right now, i\'m not paying special attention too detail. you are probably right though, i\'m not really worried that the bfast is gonna turn into a pop-jam band like umphreys or tlg.

leith

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2006, 02:18:32 am »
No worries man. I enjoy reading your points of view.

Drunken nonsense or not. ;)

I gotta work early. g\'nite!

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2006, 11:31:06 am »
Quote from: davepeck
a couple things i know:

- the show was sold out in advance.

- you can thank the House Of Blues™©® for not allowing the show to be recorded.

I remember when they played at the House of Blues in cambridge they had this same policy, I snuck in a ghetto mic and had it set on a table on the side they saw it and booted me, I got bavk in but it was a bummer none the less.  in that sense HOB def sucks......   (sidenote it was the HOB w/ Mori Syles and it was the first time I saw Space odittty)
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
    • http://
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2006, 03:45:27 pm »
I\'m surprised that HOB does not offer recordings for a fee.

I have a Tenacious D dvd from HOB in LA but I think the camera owner got the light board operator to shoot it from a stand by his board.

I think the band did a good job of tailoring the setlist to the crowd. If you get too extreme making it audience-friendly then you are going to piss off the converts when they go to a "real" show and find a band they don\'t recognize.
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2006, 04:38:12 pm »
I think Tim should play as many notes as he possibly can.

First time I saw Breakfast the only song that really stuck out in my memory was Gladys Pimp. So I guess some people can handle lots of notes.. and they might turn out to be some of the bands more dedicated followers.

I also get just as stoned as any rasta can and can handle my 16th notes ;)

Something about the suggestion that Breakfast should start catering/dumbing-down their music to appeal to the masses just fucks with my head. Breakfast will never be a band for the masses as long as David Gray keeps bustin out hits. Screw the masses anyway, we all know we have superior taste in music.

There are plenty more potential Breakfast fans to be found. To me it sounds like an insult to say "oh this song must have been written for the south/midwest/whatever" or "tim should chill out in his playing so new fans aren\'t confused why there are so many notes"... forget it man-- upward and onward!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 04:43:30 pm by bdfreetuna »
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2006, 05:56:31 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna

Something about the suggestion that Breakfast should start catering/dumbing-down their music to appeal to the masses just fucks with my head. Breakfast will never be a band for the masses as long as David Gray keeps bustin out hits. Screw the masses anyway, we all know we have superior taste in music.

There are plenty more potential Breakfast fans to be found. To me it sounds like an insult to say "oh this song must have been written for the south/midwest/whatever" or "tim should chill out in his playing so new fans aren\'t confused why there are so many notes"... forget it man-- upward and onward!

:that: The band has made it this far with their own personal style... it seems to be working just fine - so i say, "keep on playin\' the crazy notes & melting faces!" :stoned:
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

leith

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2006, 09:22:42 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna

First time I saw Breakfast the only song that really stuck out in my memory was Gladys Pimp. So I guess some people can handle lots of notes.. and they might turn out to be some of the bands more dedicated followers.

I also get just as stoned as any rasta can and can handle my 16th notes ;)

I have no idea where you read a suggestion The Breakfast should start catering/dumbing down their music . It seems to me you have read insult into some posts.

The fact is Tim has SAID he is trying to learn how to "chill" in his playing in SPOTS.
It does not mean he is trying to change his playing at all but rather GROWING as a guitarist and learning how to take more advantage of the space BETWEEN all of those notes.

I guess the accessibility of some of the newer songs is just coincedence huh?

kyndkate

• Vicious.
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2006, 10:26:12 pm »
I\'ll admit there were a few times at Uncle Fester\'s on Wednesday where I looked at my buddy and said, "Damn, I need a breather!" Sometimes they just go and go and go...it should be a musical orgasm rather than a musical aneurysm. You can climax and totally feel it, but eventually you\'re going to need a cigarette break.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be." -Douglas Adams

Gfunk

• Papa^
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2006, 11:29:46 pm »
^sally ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 11:31:25 pm by Gfunk »