Author Topic: one red paper clip  (Read 2348 times)

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
one red paper clip
« on: April 17, 2006, 11:25:23 pm »
This story may bring hope for those who wish to reinstate the bartering system.

One man from Canada started off with a single red paperclip and currently he has one-years rent in Phoenix up for barter.

Check out this persons blog!

It is a good place to waste sometime and read about the journey this person has been on with trading for something better.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
one red paper clip
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 11:32:08 pm »
Pretty neat.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
one red paper clip
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 12:40:06 am »
definitely.

just proves that anything is possible.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
one red paper clip
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 06:06:00 am »
funny. Good for him. We could offer him something stupid, like to get to go on tour with the breakfast.

DOES THIS KIND OF LIFE LOOK INTERESTING TO YOU?
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
one red paper clip
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 10:20:06 am »
Interesting read. Makes one think. Damn, I have a used Yellow Avery Hi-Liter, Staples #2 Pencil, and a Type Gauge sitting on my desk taking up space, wonder where I can go with those.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
one red paper clip
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 10:37:07 am »
I saw this guy on g4tv. pretty cool concept. he seemed like a pretty cool guy. He was open to all offers regardless of what they were.

When he was on the show I think he had an old RV or soemthing that he had just gotten rid of
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
one red paper clip
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 11:53:58 am »
i\'ll trade someone a pack of cigs for a phaddy boom baddy. any takers?
caress me, aunt jemima

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
one red paper clip
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 04:07:31 pm »
that\'s fuckin crazy, think he\'ll get his house?
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
one red paper clip
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 04:33:44 pm »
he\'ll get the house.

I have a feeling, now that this had made national media attention that there will be people willing to barter with him simply to get there name out there and by that I mean corporations will start getting in on this as a way of publicity. However, there might be a few wealthy people out there that have an extra home lying around that they will take what he bargins for.

davepeck

• Administrator
one red paper clip
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 05:37:21 pm »
wonder how many copycats there will be that end up falling short now that this has national attention - like the $1,000,000 pixel guy..

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
one red paper clip
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 05:54:09 pm »
I\'m sure there will be plenty.

davepeck

• Administrator
one red paper clip
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 01:35:03 pm »
he got his house...

Taking a paper clip and turning it into a house sounds like a cheesy magic trick or a phony instance of resourcefulness on the 1980s TV show "MacGyver."

ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle MacDonald, however, has pulled it off.

One year ago, the 26-year-old blogger from Montreal set out to barter one red paper clip for something and that thing for something else, over and over again until he had a house.

On Wednesday the quest is ending as envisioned: MacDonald is due to become the proud owner of a three-bedroom, 1,100-square-foot home provided by the town of Kipling, Saskatchewan. MacDonald and his girlfriend, Dominique Dupuis, expect to move there in early September.

"This is such a cool community project. It feels right," MacDonald said. "And now that I think about it, I can\'t believe that another small town didn\'t think of it. It will literally put them on the map."

What\'s in it for the town? The answer requires a quick MacDonald recap, featuring a menagerie of friendly folks, radio talk show hosts and aging celebrities, all bound together by the Internet.

It began when MacDonald, an aspiring writer, doer of odd jobs and apartment dweller, advertised in the barter section of the Craigslist Web site that he wanted something bigger or better for one red paper clip. He traded it for a fish-shaped pen, and posted on Craigslist again and again.

Roaming Canada and the United States, he exchanged the pen for a ceramic knob, and in turn: a camping stove, a generator, a beer keg and Budweiser sign, a snowmobile, a trip to the Canadian Rockies, a supply truck and a recording contract. Next, in April, he got himself really close, obtaining a year\'s rent in Phoenix.

His adventure became an Internet blockbuster. He did Canadian and Japanese TV and "Good Morning America." He made dozens of local radio appearances — one of which, in Los Angeles, was heard by a man who ended up as a pivotal figure.

That man is Corbin Bernsen. You may remember him from his roles in "L.A. Law" and "Major League."

Hip to the publicity-generating machine that is Kyle MacDonald, Bernsen contacted him to say he was writing and directing a movie and would offer a paid speaking role as an item available for trade.

MacDonald was thrilled. But he feared the integrity of his journey would be compromised if he accepted the role without trading Bernsen something he really could use. Say what you want about "Major League 3," but Bernsen has done well enough that he doesn\'t need a free apartment in Phoenix.

So MacDonald kept Bernsen\'s offer off his blog, but plowed ahead with an eye to finding something Bernsen would legitimately want.

Seemingly disregarding good economic sense, MacDonald traded the year\'s rent for an afternoon with rocker Alice Cooper. (MacDonald\'s response: "Alice Cooper is a gold mine of awesomeness and fun.") Then in a move that really confused his blog readers, MacDonald bartered time with Cooper for a snow globe depicting the band Kiss.

Re-enter Corbin Bernsen.

You see, since the days when he\'d get free stuff on promotional tours for "L.A. Law," Bernsen has amassed a collection of 6,500 snow globes. "One off, they look sort of goofy," Bernsen said. "Put them all together and they sort of look like pop art."

So MacDonald gave Bernsen the Kiss model and encouraged his blog readers to send the actor even more globes in exchange for autographed pictures.

All this delighted the elders in Kipling, a town of 1,140 believed to have been named in honor of author Rudyard Kipling.

Like many rural towns, Kipling is eager to stave off the perils of dwindling population by attracting new businesses, tourism and above all, attention. When the local development coordinator, Bert Roach, heard about MacDonald\'s odyssey, he suggested at the next council meeting that Kipling lure him.

Quickly the town purchased an unoccupied rental house on Main Street and offered it to MacDonald. Roach won\'t disclose the price because MacDonald says he doesn\'t want to know. But Roach says it was well under the going rate in Kipling, which is about $50,000 Canadian (US$45,000).

The town also pledged to put a giant red paper clip at a highway rest stop and hold an "American Idol"-style competition for the movie role. Participants will have to make a donation to the town\'s parks department and a charity.

When MacDonald agreed last week, "I was holding back tears, I was so bloody happy," Roach said. "It\'s going to be such a great project for our community."

Bernsen says that if the right person emerges in the talent show, he\'d be willing to cast him or her as a lead. "Maybe a career is going to get started. Maybe it\'s going to be huge. Maybe that\'s the magic of Kyle."

MacDonald doesn\'t expect to live in Kipling forever. But he says he\'ll make it home at least while he settles down to write a book.

Of course, even if the house came free, he\'ll have the usual homeowner headaches: taxes, utilities, upkeep. It should come as no surprise that MacDonald isn\'t worried.

"I\'ll figure something out," he said. "I can get a job. There\'s three grocery stores in town."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060710/ap_on_hi_te/paper_clip_to_house

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
one red paper clip
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 01:37:48 pm »
awesome! nice update DP, I completely forgot about this.....
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
one red paper clip
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 01:44:53 pm »
Wow!  I can\'t believe he did it - it just goes to show that you can get whatever you want if you try hard enough!  

Will Trade:  one used staple for a mansion in Malibu... anyone? anyone?!
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
one red paper clip
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 02:10:35 pm »
I\'ll take that used staple for a rusty spoon.