Author Topic: Arrested Development Season 3 Discussion Thread  (Read 14031 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Arrested Development Season 3 Discussion Thread
« on: September 14, 2005, 09:09:11 am »
REMINDER: Season 3 kicks off next Monday night (9/19) at 8:00pm EST.

some good/bad casting news:

Chachi\'s "Development" Deal

Chachi is horning in on Fonzie\'s turf.

The Happy Days-obssessed masterminds of Arrested Development have tapped Scott Baio to take over as Bluth family lawyer this season, replacing Henry Winkler, who\'s heading off to his own series, CBS\' Out of Practice.

"I just got the call on Friday," Baio tells E! Online TV columnist Kristin Veitch. "I play their attorney. I\'m taking over for Barry Zuckerkorn. And I\'m just here to represent the family in whatever\'s going on in this nutty show."

Baio\'s character will have some low standards to live down to. In Development\'s two seasons, Zuckerkorn (whose Website is BarryGood.biz) has managed to stay employed despite some utterly inept lawyering and potentially deviant behavior.

It\'s the second big casting coup in recent days. Last week, Fox announced that Oscar winner Charlize Theron
would appear in five episodes as a British woman who becomes the love interest of Michael Bluth ( Jason Bateman).

The Emmy-winning series kicks off its third season Sept. 19 in a new time slot, 8 p.m. on Mondays. Theron will make her debut in the second episode; Baio will make his grand entrance the following week. So far, he\'s only signed for a one-off appearance.

Winkler (who in a wink to his Fonzified past, literally jumped a shark last season) costars with Stockard Channing as divorced doctors in CBS\' Out of Practice. The series premieres Sept. 19 at 9:30 p.m.

Baio\'s big break came as Fonzie\'s cousin Charles "Chachi" Arcola in the 1977 season of ABC\'s Happy Days. He eventually fell for Joanie Cunningham ( Erin Moran), got a spinoff (Joanie Loves Chachi) and returned in time for Happy Days\' final season in 1984, which ended with Joanie and Chachi getting hitched. In the intervening years he\'s mostly been relegated to TV movies and guest-starring roles. Baio\'s last series was supposed to be the 1997 Fox sitcom Rewind, but it was scrapped before it even made it to air.

Most recently he appeared as himself in the werewolf flick Cursed and joined the rest of the Happy Days campers for an ABC reunion special.

Arrested Development\'s Happy Days roots run deep. Aside from Winkler and Baio, erstwhile Richie Cunningham Ron Howard produces the show through his Imagine Entertainment and also serves as the series\' narrator.

"We\'re thrilled to have Chachi here," cracks Will Arnett (Gob Bluth). "I\'m hoping Pat Morita is next." :lol:

phirehead

• dodging ser crazy
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 10:10:47 am »
No Fonz this season? That sux balls.  :mad:

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 01:50:50 pm »
No Henry Winkler? Bummer. Charlize Theron? YUUUUM!
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

RadicalRich1138

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 03:31:03 pm »
I bet they\'ll be some Fonz, just not as much.

"Woke up this morning Gene Parmesan in my bed"

leith

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 07:10:45 pm »
Lucille goes off of her POST PARTUM meds. Yep She\'s been depressed since Buster\'s Birth! LOL Just a tidbit that I read in the local paper tvguide.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 07:37:44 pm »
i may actually have to switch off the Giants game for a half hour for this.. i just can\'t see going to work on tuesday having not watched the AD premiere..

leith

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 08:36:55 pm »
Quote from: davepeck
i may actually have to switch off the Giants game for a half hour for this.. i just can\'t see going to work on tuesday having not watched the AD premiere..

MNF will ALWAYS take a backseat for a 1/2 hour each night to AD. No doubt abt it!

leith

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 03:41:32 am »
Another EMMY won tonight. For Writing.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 07:13:17 am »
ELR gets best comedy.. what a crock..

i guess i\'m glad DH didn\'t get it, because while i think it\'s a fantastic show, it\'s, well, it\'s not a fucking comedy.

but ELR over AD and Scrubs?! :thumbsdow:wtf2:

anyways...

-------------

"The Cabin Show" Episode #301.
[spoiler]When Michael decides to track down George Sr., he winds up in Reno and ruins a trip to the family cabin with his son.

Cast: Jason Bateman, Portia de de Rossi, Michael Cera, Alia Shawkat, Jessica Walter, Will Arnett, Tony Hale, Jeffrey Tambor, David Cross, Henry Winkler, Judy Greer, Justin Grant Wade, Brandon Johnson, Anthony DeSantis, Gary Kraus .[/spoiler]
Producer(s): Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, David Nevins, Mitchell Hurwitz.

Original Airdate: September 19, 2005.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 08:10:37 am »
SO good to have the BEST show on television back!!

Lindsay’s ringtone = :thumbsup:

Eve Holt :lol:

:point: "Don\'t Buy" = Mission Accomplished!

\'this is a good chance for you to rub off on her.\'

How am I supposed to find someone willing to go into that musty old claptrap?

We’re Larry and Dave. You want Curtis and Jack.

I’ve made a huge, tiny mistake.

Michael: You were out like a light. Pal, our dreams are about to come true.
George Michael: Maeby?
Michael: Definitely.

http://www.imoscar.com

check out Oscar\'s blog:

It’s been a week since my last entry. I can explain. Last Thursday, I was counting ants in the prison yard and it was a scorcher but I remember, I started killing the ants with my feet, yelling “Die you little black bastards, die!” I got stabbed – a whole lot.

When I woke up in the infirmary, I was surprised to find out that my stabber was the leader of an equal rights gang called: RAVIOLI or Rapists Against Violence Against Insects. When I went to apologize for killing the ants, I pointed out that ravioli doesn’t work as an acronym and they stabbed me again. Please God get me out of here! I think that’s blood on the keyboard. Yep, it is. I’m Oscar Bluth and I need medical attention!

rotfl

brilliant!

leith

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 01:09:07 pm »
I hate Tape. It is time for Tivo. Got home and found that my tape had run out. AHHHHH What I did catch was funny but I was so bummed I am just going to wait for the repeat.   :(

davepeck

• Administrator

leith

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 01:13:42 pm »
Oh damn. Thanx!!!! beep beep

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 01:31:25 pm »
I watched it last night specifically because you guys always sweat it.  Either I was distracted while watching or I missed the humor.  Maybe I\'ll try again next week.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 01:35:37 pm »
al,

unfortunately, the thing that makes this show so great is also the thing that puts up a brick wall for newcomers.. there are a TON of subtle \'inside\' jokes, which refer to previous episodes. i couldn\'t possibly expect someone to watch for the first time last night and fall in love with the show.

that said, pick up the first season dvds from Amazon, and go from there. you will NOT be disappointed.