Author Topic: From the PT WSP Board.....  (Read 9181 times)

kyndkate

• Vicious.
From the PT WSP Board.....
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 11:43:00 pm »
I\'m excited to see what Panic fans are going to say after they listen to the samplers I\'m giving out. I wrote the .info and .org URLs on the front of the sleeves, so hopefully we\'ll have some new faces on the boards in a couple weeks.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be." -Douglas Adams

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 11:43:54 pm »
It seems that our favortie troll is talking shit about the band and how they will never develop past a bar/club band. Screenname on Phishhookm is Phishmoe24, look it up if you want to know who I mean.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

kyndkate

• Vicious.
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2005, 11:44:58 pm »
Is that guy on PT too? There are a couple douche nozzles ripping on the Breakfast threads there.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be." -Douglas Adams

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2005, 11:46:04 pm »
Quote from: kyndkate
I\'m excited to see what Panic fans are going to say after they listen to the samplers I\'m giving out. I wrote the .info and .org URLs on the front of the sleeves, so hopefully we\'ll have some new faces on the boards in a couple weeks.

kyndkate - Good work on converting. Hope it all goes well and it\'s warm recieved. Make sure to let us know how it goes. Are you giving out the Gordo Samplers?

Quote from: kyndkate
Is that guy on PT too? There are a couple douche nozzles ripping on the Breakfast threads there.

that troll has been el banis from .info for some time now.

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2005, 08:46:39 am »
Quote from: WALSH
Now is a good time to go after Panic fans bc there are alot talking down the sound they have going...Marcial, is this not true?  I felt the last time I was checking their board that there were ALOT of negative posts about the Red Rocks shows.  Get recruiting.

By the way the PT Bisco board had some good things to say.

From what I read, a few sets from the RR shows were pretty weak... there are also the people who will not be satisfied with anything short of Mikey Houser rising from the dead to rejoin the band... these folks will bitch no matter what.  I consider myself to be a pretty big Houser fan, but think the new sound is good as well.  I saw a few shows on Spring Tour that were some of the best I\'ve ever seen bar none.  Schools, JB, and really the rest of the band have all stepped it up since Houser died and have made the George transition easier... for me at least.  

That being said, I can\'t really see the majority of Panic fans turning into huge Breakfast fans.  I\'m probably the exception to the rule due to the fact that I lived up there & really got a chance to see TB extensively.  I see Panic fans moving more towards bands like MOFRO, North Mississippi Allstars, Jerry Joseph, and Drive By Truckers.  It\'s almost like, as a whole, Panic fans are more into good song writing than "jamming".  

For example, with the exception of Schools (who is possibly the best rock bassist of our time), no one in Panic is what you would consider a badass master of their instrument ala tpalms or animal... they are all decent, but the total of the band is greater than the sum of its parts.  But, there are countless Panic songs that make me feel like they were written just for me... that really speak to you in a way that you can easily relate to.  TB is not there yet, IMO.

Also, where TB is a mix of rock, jazz, funk, classical, etc... Panic is straight out rock-n-roll.  

I could be wrong, but for these reasons I don\'t really see a whole lot of Panic > TB crossover fans.... they are too different & WSP fans tend to be VERY narrow minded in their taste for other music.
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2005, 08:51:24 am »
i got a couple friends that live in Iowa visiting and just finished a panic tour.  let me tell you they definetly dig the breakfast, saying " this is more my style of music"
*Gia*

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2005, 09:22:56 am »
Quote from: Spacey
It\'s tough to win an arguement when you say that this is better then that. It is human nature to defend yourself. There is a better way to approach the whole thing. Another thiing is you want to be able to post Breakfast "fluff" on that board again. If you come with your six shooters out of the gate, people are going to be dicks and non-responsive, just create negative energy and comments.

With that said, good work to all, keep it going.

This is a great point Spaceman.  There\'s no way you can convince people on a band\'s board that some other band is in any way better than theirs.  Especially when it\'s some goofy little unknown band from Connecticut vs. the #1 jamband in the world right now!  Even if the reader knows that some facet of what you are saying is true, such as Adrian is better than their drummer, they don\'t want to hear it anyways.

The thing to do when fluffing The Breakfast on another board is to first position yourself as a fan of the band whose board it is.  Establish some credibility with a few positive posts about the home band.  Then when you bring up the Breakfast just mention that you\'ve been getting into this other good band lately, and offer up some free CDs.  Keep praises for The Breakfast to a minimum and stay away from superlatives.  Just saying "they really rock" and nothing else can actually be very powerful because it leaves an aura of intruige.  Then just send CD\'s to whoever responds.  Even those who don\'t ask for CD\'s will be left with a positive impression of the band because some fan was good enough to give away CD\'s.  Kyndkate is on the ball here.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 09:26:04 am by Wolfman »

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2005, 10:36:58 am »
Wolfman, couldn\'t have said it better myself. That is actually the way you need to approach the boards without getting flamed.

Marcial - I never knew that WSP had narrow minds in choice of music.

I think what else matters is the age of you audience. For a lot of younger kids (under 21), there are some who hope Phish gets back together and they can taste the sweet nectar that once was Phish. They are the ones who are thirsty for a band to follow. This is one reason why I think Umphrey\'s does so well, a younger audience who in time, by the time the graduate HS will want to go out on tour. For those who have just graduated HS and in college it is the same thing. I think that older people above the 21 age need a quick fix, most of us have seen Phish and some of us have been on a week leg of a tour if not an entire tour. This group doesn\'t want to wait for the next big jam band, for some, waiting is just wasting time. Wait to long, you are stuck in a career and possibly married and can\'t get out. This isn\'t entirely true for all of us but I think this is a generality of the whole scene. That\'s why I feel that the Breakfast needs to target an audience under 21 to build in the future. It\'s tough to do when there aren\'t too many places to play all ages gigs. of course, this is just MY OPINION.

kyndkate

• Vicious.
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2005, 10:57:26 am »
I had to get a fake ID to see them play in Lafayette. Most of my friends were dying to go, but couldn\'t. \'Nuff said.

One thing I\'ve noticed in recent weeks while trying to promote TB is this: people have commented that I have no reason to do free promo. I\'m like, that\'s exactly it! The fans love the band so much that they go out of their way to get more fans. We are so excited about this group of musicians that we don\'t even think twice about dropping 30 bucks on a spindle of blank CDs and spend 2 weeks burning samplers to give to people we don\'t even know. We know and recognize that they\'re too good to keep to ourselves. What other band has fans like that? Not Phish. Not Panic. We\'re a unique group, and we need to use this to our advantage. Music is love, so we need to share it. People will see that we\'re different, and through that, they\'ll soon see that TB is different. We\'re not just creating fans here - we\'re creating possibly the greatest, tightest, friendliest, most loving music community of our generation.

Sure, you can go get your kleenex now. ;)

I was just thinking, we should make up a pledge. "I pledge allegiance, to The Breakfast, to always be my first musical taste in the morning...."

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2005, 10:59:42 am »
a lot of truth in what you said kate. solid.

kyndkate

• Vicious.
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2005, 03:36:22 pm »
http://phantasytour.com/wsp/boards_thread.cgi?threadID=758925

We have some Panicheads hungry for Breakfast!! :D

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2005, 03:42:46 pm »
Link doesn\'t work

read it, looking good there kyndkate

kyndkate

• Vicious.
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2005, 03:53:17 pm »
Thread name on WSP PT is "Deer Creek 07.27.05"

I\'ve got quite a few takers, I\'m excited! So far no Breakfast-bashers, just people wanting some new free music.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2005, 04:14:03 pm »
nothing wrong with free music, but whats the catch?

kyndkate

• Vicious.
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2005, 04:18:10 pm »
There is no catch...I\'m passing out Breakfast samplers. For free. To whoever will take one.

Does there always have to be a catch? :(