Author Topic: The 2005 Tournament Of Tunes Seedings, Brackets, and Predictions Thread  (Read 23513 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Bracketology by Wolfman
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2005, 11:13:23 pm »
Hello everybody!  This is your old pal Wolfman.  Let\'s break down the brackets for some predicitons in this year\'s fantastic Tournament of Tunes!

Pearl Street Bracket:

Scheme sits atop a very strong overall bracket.  Scheme is clearly epic, though it may lose some ground due to lack of number of performances.  At least one 12 seed always wins, and Phaddy Boom Baddy is the 12 you love to go with here.  People love marijuana songs.  Look for a hot round 1 matchup with Score.  The bottom of the bracket features 3 instrumental underdogs.  They all have a battle, but the most likely to emerge alive is Frankly Po Zest over ballad Vera Street.  Hardluck Harry was a surprise 2 seed, look for 3 seed Sundance to score the upset in the Sweet Sixteen.  I predict a Scheme v. Sundance regional final coming down to the wire.

Winner: Sundance
Upset Special: Phaddy over Score

The Booth Bracket:

#1 seed Rufus is very hot coming off the other poll that inspired this tournament, as well as frequent airplay on Sirius 17.  I will probably be the only person voting for Beer Jubilee, since the song is about going to the afterparty at my house and I\'m mentioned by name in the song.  LDZ vs. Eppy 1 in the 8 v. 9 spot is an intruiging old-school matchup.  May go to overtime there.  Rufus should cruise to the regional final.  The bottom half of the bracket features a very hot and underseeded Doughboy at #6.  Taboot will have its hand full with Doughboy in round 2.   Look for Escher\'s to eek it out with strong lyric play and take on Rufus in the final.

Winner: Rufus
Upset Special: Doughboy over Taboot

Toad\'s Place Bracket:

Buquebus is a lock for a 1 seed but will face an early test against Puppetry in the Sweet 16.  This is the most straightforward bracket.  Upsets seem unlikely.  However, Funky Bill, despite low frequency of performance, should be strong given that it only seems to be played when the show is really getting insane.  Unlike the other 2/3 matchups, Gravity will come in as a big favorite over Fiery Ball.  The regional final will be interesting, with perennial powerhouse Buquebus taking on young upstart Gravity.

Winner: Gravity
Upset Special: Funky Bill over Sleeping Beauty

Winston\'s Bracket:

#1 seed Mooboo\'s Voodoo also comes in scorching hot, having just become the song mentioned on the first ever unofficial Breakfast T-Shirts.  Also, a solid rendition Friday night in New York with an Eppy I sandwich means that Mooboo\'s is peaking at the right time.  Conversely, 4 seed Spunk has had limited rotation over the last couple of years, which will hurt its chances against hippie anthem Vermont Song.  Just like 13 seed Vermont beat Syracuse in Basketball, look for 13 seed Vermont Song to beat Spunk here.  In the weirdest round 1 matchup, I like Lit to hold off Wild Pack.  People like Lit beacuse they don\'t know what it is.  And it\'s about marijuana.  Tribal won\'t be tested until Gladys Pimp in the Sweet 16, but Tribal has the huge advantage of being the first song on Deuce, whereas Gladys Pimp has yet to make an album.  That should seal the deal for Tribal.  Rounding out a series of 4 bombastic regional finals, the first song on Deuce will succumb to the last song on Deuce.

Winner: Mooboo\'s Voodoo (Episode II)
Upset Special: Vermont Song over Spunk

FINAL FOUR: Sundance vs. Roofus.  Sundance comes in with stronger composition, vocal arrangement, and overall complexity.  However, Roofus counters with more frequent play, more clutch plays (Baker Quad, Camp Creek, Bona Fide, etc.) and a catchy reggae hook.  (This is a popularity contest, after all.)  Though both are equal jam vehicles, more great jams have come out of Roofus.  I don\'t know how I will vote yet, but I think more people are into Roofus right now.

Gravity vs. Eppy II: The thing you have to love about Gravity is that it has yet to produce its best performance.  It is one of the rising young stars of the lineup, and will no doubt be coming through in some huge spots very soon.  After the shocker over powerhouse Buqeubus though, it will not have enough legs left to take down the red-hot and well-established Mooboo\'s Voodoo.    

FINAL: Roofus v. Mooboo\'s Voodoo (Episode II)
The 2 hottest Breakfast songs have blazed their way to the championship.    Both songs have mood-setting composition in the beginning before the verse comes in.  Both songs have epic mid-song jams that peak at a chorus reprise.  Both songs feature catchy choruses.  Roofus features humor, but Mooboo\'s counters with soul.  Both songs have been played in huge spots.  It\'s a very, very tough vote.  However, given all the recent hoopla with the T-shirts, the NYC Sandwich, Freddie\'s campaigning and the Episodes discussions, the force is with Episode II.  

Happy Voting!

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
The 2005 Tournament Of Tunes Seedings, Brackets, and Predictions Thread
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2005, 11:17:55 pm »
Fuckin\' sweet breakdown there Wolfman.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2005, 11:20:03 pm »
http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNfox000\' target=\'_blank\'>http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif\' alt=\'Clapping Hands\' border=0>

Nicely Done! Good Job Wolfman.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2005, 02:10:50 am »
quality shit wolfy.

Rufus vs. Mooboo\'s = my finals, no doubt.

Mooboo\'s should definitely take the cake. there aint another song id rather hear anywhere at anytime.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2005, 04:58:32 am »
Calling it now, look for a cinderella as ATTSD takes it all!

actually, just did my brackets and it looks like dave did a good job ranking all the songs. be interesting to see who wins.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2005, 08:18:04 am »
Great reading there, Wolfman.  However, I am predicting that Gladys will upset Ep 2 in the finals of the Winston\'s Bracket, and also that WPOAC will upset TFA.
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2005, 08:21:28 am »
great post wolf! :yay:

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2005, 12:26:40 pm »
Anyone else get there confirmation this morning?

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2005, 12:31:52 pm »
6 people (myself included) have made picks on bracketmaker.com so far..

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2005, 12:47:18 pm »
I got my confirmation this morning, I will make my picks shortly.

Rujah

• team digest
    • http://
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2005, 02:00:26 pm »
Quote from: Gordo
quality shit wolfy.

Rufus vs. Mooboo\'s = my finals, no doubt.

Mooboo\'s should definitely take the cake. there aint another song id rather hear anywhere at anytime.

got mine this morning as well,

will probably be making my picks shortly. after I listen to each song at least once.

are we basing our picks on the specific verisons of the songs that were linked or  what?

havnt been a real big fan of gladys pimp but since I\'ve never heard of late and the great so I guess gotta go with gladys pimp

difficult choice between mayfly and cosmic spaceway rhyme??

after listening to beardslee show from a few weeks back gonna have to go for cosmic spaceway?
Merge futhermucker just you merge You futhermucker merge merge futhermucker now

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye - Raoul duke - Hunter S. Thompson, Fear&Loathing

Gimme breakfast..................

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2005, 04:45:15 pm »
Quote from: Rujah
will probably be making my picks shortly. after I listen to each song at least once.

are we basing our picks on the specific verisons of the songs that were linked or  what?

no. the links are there to random versions of the songs just to provide people with a listen if they haven\'t heard the song before.

again, the bracketmaker.com site is for your PREDICTIONS, not your VOTE as to which song you like better. your \'picks\' at bracketmaker.com will have no affect on the outcome of the tournament. the VOTING begins sunday.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2005, 08:11:57 pm »
alrighty...i did my predictions on bracketmaker.com.......  first off....the user interface on that sight is weak as hell....but i am assuming it is free so there you go...you get what you pay for...unless its the breakfast.info....the givingest message board for the givingest band in rock and roll.........

Pearl Street Bracket
There are a couple of tough first round matches here, well for me anyway.  
the WTF/Fairy and Score/PhaddyBoom are what i see as tough calls to make.....but I do not see Scheme losing to any tune in this bracket......I would see HLH, Coma, and Score as the final four in this bracket and it would be a HUGE upset to see Scheme loose.....  I cant see Phaddy Boom upsetting Score first round.

Toads Place
I see Buquebus making it to the finals here, along with Drunk Monk Bar.  I personally like Drunk Monk to take this bracket.  There are some ser jammers in this one, Puppetry/Buquebus/Gravity/GBFBITS....  I think HDX may be the best tune in the bracket, but I dont see it beating Gravity....   And old schoolers may tend to lean towards the Puppetry....

Winstons Bracket
For me, this is the tougest bracket to choose....I want to know who was on this small comittee who seeded these songs and made these brackets, because the Winstons Bracket will tear a breakfast fan\'s heart into shreds..
I dont see any other tune winning other than Episode 2.  May Fly and Tribal Funk are probably the 2 biggest contenders....Especially the May Flys of recent..  I will be sad to see Food For Thought go down, but I think it will...I hope it can make it at least to the final four of the bracket...

The Booth Bracket
This is where I maybe forsee the bigest upset.  If Heather can pull of the upset over Beef Barley (AND IT SHOULD PEOPLE), I think it can take the bracket....It would be a huge upset for it to beat Rufus and that is where she\'ll probably meet her demise, but I am pullin hard for her....Attraction and Doughboy should end up giving Rufus a run for its money....

My Final Four Prediction:
Heather
Scheme
Drunk Monk Bar
Episode 2 (Mooboos Voodoo) (WINNER)

All in all it should be an interesting tournament....I am curious to see how people will vote....will they go with their hearts or will they go with their true feelings on what is a better song?  who knows....
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2005, 08:41:18 pm »
Heather?  Are you ser?

1st round loser... confirmed.
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2005, 01:59:33 am »
Quote from: Marcial
Heather?  Are you ser?

1st round loser... confirmed.

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!
go feed your snakes guy....
Upsets happen.
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph