Author Topic: Setlist: 2003-06-29 - Jellyphish Lounge; Houston, TX  (Read 10457 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 2003-06-29 - Jellyphish Lounge; Houston, TX
« on: July 01, 2003, 04:04:08 am »
I: Gravity > Peaches En Regalia, Sleeping Beauty > Bugs, Escher\'s Etchings > Help On the Way > Slipknot! > Score

II: Episode 1 (Happy), Lady Madonna, Hard Luck Harry > Fairy, Shake For Me, Buquebus > Lit, 2001*

* with \'It\'s Ice\', \'Sample In A Jar\' (Phish), and \'Fraggle Rock\' teases.

Adrian: Bass Drum/Djembe/Cow Bell
Ron: Bass Guitar
Tim: Electric Guitar
Jordan: Organ/Piano

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 01:33:30 pm »
This is a really cool show.  I just recently listened to it on RadioJoe for the first time.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 06:09:33 pm »
ser timmy tour vibe in that setlist...
a breakfast shake for me?  fucking A!
good look zurflu...
hows the westcoastzurflushuffle goin?
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 07:02:01 pm »
Interesting isn\'t to see how as time progresses they play more and more originals and less and less covers per show. (check out a 99 show to see what I mean.)

Gravity> Peaches... awesome.
Masturbation in the MFA

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 07:54:33 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs
hows the westcoastzurflushuffle goin?

Going great.   I love my new place.  Can\'t wait to see you all out here when Breakfast travels west.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 07:59:06 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn
Interesting isn\'t to see how as time progresses they play more and more originals and less and less covers per show. (check out a 99 show to see what I mean.)

Better yet, check out a 98 show.  Not many originals back then.  

I love the setlist variety from the 99 era.

Beyowka

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 04:49:59 pm »
i like this show too, but what is up with the sound? not that it\'s *bad* per se, but definitely different; what is it that I\'m trying to say?

cf. http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=12792

thanks in advance

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 06:13:42 pm »
Quote from: Beyowka
i like this show too, but what is up with the sound? not that it\'s *bad* per se, but definitely different; what is it that I\'m trying to say?

cf. http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=12792

thanks in advance

Reason #1:

Adrian: Bass Drum/Djembe/Cow Bell
Ron: Bass Guitar
Tim: Electric Guitar
Jordan: Organ/Piano

Reason #2 is because it is a direct soundboard recording, so it is very raw. also, it\'s mixed for the room, not for the recording, so instrument levels may sound \'off\' on the recording. this is the main reason why the band doesn\'t allow soundboard recordings.

Reason #3 - it\'s tracked incorrectly.

Beyowka

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 04:27:15 am »
i definitely understand Reason #2 - that can happen to any band. no big deal. Reason #3 doesn\'t bother me a whole bunch, at this point I\'m listening to the whole thing front to back anyway. I did notice Reason #1 in the text file, i guess I could ask what was so different about that night that the band chose to tone down the drums and keys; maybe it was a *special* show, or it was a small stage that couldn\'t handle any more equipment - again, not that it\'s bad, not at all; i\'m just trying to get a better mental picture on what was going on to go with the sound.

On a different note, any West Coast tour plans? maybe that\'s why i\'m so clueless, i\'m a left coaster .whatever, thanks to dave\'s excellent work on the archive I can follow along the best i can. thanks a million to all the archivists and tapers!

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 06:56:33 am »
I did notice Reason #1 in the text file, i guess I could ask what was so different about that night that the band chose to tone down the drums and keys; maybe it was a *special* show, or it was a small stage that couldn\'t handle any more equipment - again, not that it\'s bad, not at all; i\'m just trying to get a better mental picture on what was going on to go with the sound.

not sure exactly.. i\'ll have to ask the guys if they remember. usually setups like this are to fit the venue. for instance, the band used to play a tiny coffee house in Northampton, MA (Fire & Water), which featured similar setups (Jordan on house piano, Tim on acoustic, Adrian on bass/snare/hi-hat). like i said, i\'ll try to find out what the basis was at this particular show.

On a different note, any West Coast tour plans? maybe that\'s why i\'m so clueless, i\'m a left coaster.

you\'re not alone! we\'ve been discussing it a bit here, but you left coast .inforumers are definitely jonesing, and for good reason. the consensus seems to be that there will be a west coast tour in the fall, though nothing has been confirmed. but i\'ll just tell you what i\'ve told a few other people out there - please don\'t lose faith in this band. i know the waiting sucks, but believe me when i tell you: the band is so on fire right now, that when they finally do make it out there, the wait will be entirely worth it.

and then you guys can come on here and finally give us east-coasters a taste of our own medicine by rubbing it in our faces! ;)

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 03:59:44 pm »

i\'m a left coaster

thanks to dave\'s excellent work on the archive I can follow along the best i can. thanks a million to all the archivists and tapers!

Where are you located?  There is only one other known Breakfast fan in the Bay Area that is registered on .info.  I\'d like to connect with others if they exist.

Raise your glasses to the tapers!

Quote from: davepeck

not sure exactly.. i\'ll have to ask the guys if they remember. usually setups like this are to fit the venue. for instance, the band used to play a tiny coffee house in Northampton, MA (Fire & Water), which featured similar setups (Jordan on house piano, Tim on acoustic, Adrian on bass/snare/hi-hat). like i said, i\'ll try to find out what the basis was at this particular show.

Was this show a private party or an official gig?  I remember the band playing a private party somewhere in Texas around this era.

The old Fire+Water setup was great.  I probably dig the Jellyphish Lounge recording because it is reminiscent of all the shows we saw at Fire+Water, one of the most intimate venues they used to play at.