Author Topic: \'The Wall\' on Broadway?  (Read 1151 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
\'The Wall\' on Broadway?
« on: August 06, 2004, 10:04:40 am »
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&ncid=762&e=1&u=/nm/20040805/en_nm/stage_pinkfloyd_dc

Miramax, Mottola Put Up \'Wall\' on Broadway

Thu Aug 5, 3:48 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Miramax Films and veteran record producer Thomas Mottola on Thursday unveiled plans to stage a Broadway production of Pink Floyd\'s rock opera "The Wall," about a narcissistic and neurotic rock star named Pink.

Pink Floyd founder Roger Waters (news), who conceived the album that has sold over 23 million copies since 1979, will write the book for the show and orchestrate the music, the producers said in a statement.

"Now I can write in some laughs, notable by their absence in the movie," Waters said in the statement.

"The Wall" was made into a film in 1982 that was directed by Alan Parker and released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

But it is the double-album with songs such as "Hey You" and "Comfortably Numb" that is best remembered and is the third best-selling music album of all time.

Waters and Pink Floyd performed the music in 1980 and 1981, and Waters put on a massive $8 million production of "The Wall" in Berlin in 1990.

It has never been developed as a musical stage show, and a date that the curtain might go up was not disclosed.

Mottola, a major player in the music industry who ran Sony Music Entertainment for 15 years, took the project to Miramax co-chiefs, the brothers Bob and Harvey Weinstein.

The Weinsteins and Miramax are best known for making hit films like "Chicago" and "Spy Kids," but in recent years have backed several Broadway productions such as Tony winner, "The Producers" and the revival of "Gypsy."

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 12:04:57 pm »
Awesome. With my love for Broadway, this will be right up my alley.

My little brother\'s going to flip his lid.

FYI: Speaking of Broadway, and my little brother... My bro go into the national (but non-equity) tour of Oklahoma; it\'s going all over the country and Canada. One of the stops is in New Haven. Oklahoma is probably one of the worst musicals I can think of, but I will be there anyhow because I think it\'s the closest tourdate that my brother has to New Hampshire. If any of you Stavenites would come out and support my little bro (and keep me company!) I would be so very happy..... I\'ll even buy your tickets, cripes, I just don\'t wanna go by myself.

I\'ll get my brother\'s autographs for you, ;) May be worth something some day.
Masturbation in the MFA

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 05:19:45 pm »
ya buyin beers too? if so Im in, heh
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 07:14:24 pm »
i\'ll def go see the wall on broadway. do it like the who and get the band together to preform it live during the first week. that\'d be f\'n insane!

gilmore, get the hell off the pig farm and pick up your guitar again!!
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke