Author Topic: Victoria\'s Secret TV Runway Show Canceled - WSJ  (Read 1980 times)

tiedyetoga

Victoria\'s Secret TV Runway Show Canceled - WSJ
« on: April 12, 2004, 09:37:22 am »
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Lingerie company Victoria\'s Secret, owned by Limited Brands, has canceled its televised runway fashion shows as regulators crack down on what they see as indecency, the Wall Street Journal said on Monday. The decision not to go forward with the yearly televised program was made after one of Janet Jackson\'s breast\'s was exposed during the Super Bowl half-time show, Ed Razek, chief marketing officer for Limited, told the Journal.

The incident caused public outcry.

Viacom Inc.\'s CBS network has carried the fashion show for the last two years.

While the show garnered a lot of media attention, it did not score big ratings and failed to bring in much extra holiday traffic to Victoria\'s Secret stores, the Journal said.

A Limited representative was not immediately available to comment.
Source: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=4802344§ion=news

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 07:16:26 am »
Dear CBS and Clearchannel,

I am a responsible parent of six kids. I like to drink a box of wine and fall asleep on the couch in the afternoon after work. While I\'m asleep, I can\'t monitor what my kids watch on the babysitter... er... television. When you play shows that contain exposed breasts and beautiful fit women in scant clothing, my children are going to see it and no doubt get the wrong ideas. I am shocked and appauled that you would allow such a corruption of my children.

My husband was watching the superbowl and I was there nursing my youngest and having a smoke and enjoying my usual box of wine. Then the halftime show came on and that Justin Timberlake boy exposed Janet Jackson\'s breast. My baby saw it and spit up on my chest. My two oldest boys also saw it and although they didn\'t say anything and acted as if they didn\'t notice, I\'m certain they were traumatized so I now have to send them to therapy and double up on their church visits. I made my husband change the channel to COPS, but the damage was already done.

Since that is one of the few times I\'ve ever been around my kids and conscious long enough to monitor what they see on TV, I can only imagine the filth they see on a regular basis when I leave them alone with the tv. You should be ashamed of yourselves. You should take responsibility and only put on programs like COPS or The Bachelor or Who Wants to be a Millionare or American Idol or Survivor... quality programming like that. Children don\'t want to see breasts and I certainly don\'t want them to see any until they are married.

Sincerely,

Estelle Guthrye
Utah

Giavanna

• The game is to change
    • http://www.giavannakersulis.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 08:49:33 am »
This is so true! Estelle must be part of the IN crowd in Utah though. You have to join a club to buy alchohol. A friend of mine was in a summer program there last year and she said it was impossible to get a drink until she befriended a club member.

If America were more like Europe we\'d all have been looking at tits and everything else on tv since the day we were born and our bodies wouldn\'t be so taboo! I don\'t see what the big deal is.
Even Opera Singers love "The Breakfast!" - la pace fuori

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 09:10:29 am »
i\'m just glad that there are people out there that can decide what is good for me to watch. i am only 24 and am completely unable to decide this for myself.

Giavanna

• The game is to change
    • http://www.giavannakersulis.com
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 09:41:22 am »
For sure! People who think that reality tv is quality!
Even Opera Singers love "The Breakfast!" - la pace fuori

mango lube

• 100% Egyptian Cotton
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 09:46:52 am »
Originally posted by davepeck
i\'m just glad that there are people out there that can decide what is good for me to watch. i am only 24 and am completely unable to decide this for myself.

Right on.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 01:56:11 pm »
Of course, the FCC doesn\'t really care if you see "smut" as long as you pay $49.95 per month for a dish.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California