Poll

Should the Breakfast play the Living Room again?

O!
15 (78.9%)
es
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: The Living Room\'s days are over  (Read 3968 times)

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
The Living Room\'s days are over
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2004, 05:45:53 pm »
Originally posted by audiofile
The people who work there are not that bad and we bring a great crowd.  

Yea, it\'s a decent draw but, I see the same people every time they play there, it\'s a good crowd, but it\'s the same crowd. I still think that alot of people miss out because they boycot the Living Room, so if they were to play a nicer place it\'s be the same crowd, plus a whole bunch more. I still vote The Call, good place, good sound, good promotion of their shows.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Dying room is DEAD
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2004, 07:30:24 pm »
I\'ve been saying that TB needs to get out of the Dying Room for years.  It\'s about freakin time we started a movement for this.  This is the worst venue that the band has ever played, period.  They have played there at least 15 times, which is downright pathetic.  Sorry audiofile, but there will NEVER be a good crowd at this venue.  15 shows in 3 years is way more than enough of a sample.  

Where else do people piss on the walls all night right in front of the band?  Where else do so many drunken old men show up with no intention except to grope young girls?  Where else does the band sound like a farting rhinocerous?  What other venue is in a dumpier or harder to find location?  What other venue trivializes this band to the extent that this room does?  As always, I compare the band to their closest competition and peers, who are Umphrey\'s, Particle, and Raq.  Look at their tour schedules.  They do not play dumps like this ever.  Look at their touring histories at venues within 100 miles of their homes.  They don\'t play anywhere 15+ times, they grow out of the venues.  I am getting pretty disgusted as a fan that the band insists on making us go to a shithole like the Dying Room over and over to see them play.  Open for someone else at Lupo\'s if they won\'t book the band as a headliner.  Play The Call.  For the love of music, change SOMETHING, because this venue SUCKS and the crowds haven\'t gotten any bigger in the last 2 years and 10 shows.  It\'s not working.  Get out.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2004, 07:32:18 pm »
What is so wrong w/ going somewhere and seeing the guys play to the same crowd everytime? It is not like this gig makes or breaks them and obviously they keep playing there for some reason. So the place sux, who gives a fuck? The Breakfast is in the house. If u can partake of God\'s green herb in there that is one of the BIGGIST PLUSES I have ever heard for a club. It comes to the point where u have to make a choice keep bitching and going to the LivingRoom or not going there anymore. Sometimes the surroundings only add to the community spirit of being in it together. So Suck It Up and support your band no matter where they play. Come On Now!!
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Wolfman

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2004, 07:34:02 pm »
BTW the poll is really confusing because I thought I was voting on "Should the Living Room be Condemmed" so I voted yes.

Wolfman

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2004, 07:40:33 pm »
I support the band by insisting that they grow and be professional.  They totally settle for mediocrity by playing here, and "mediocrity" is being quite generous.  You know what happens to bands, teams, or any businesses that settle for mediocrity?  They don\'t stick around very long.  What is wrong with seeing them play the same place to the same 50 people evey time is that if this is what the band is, they will not make it.  They will quit.  The disgusting surroundings do NOT add to the sense of community Leith.  Sharing in patheticness doesn\'t get the band anywhere.  I would rather share in the community of being in a beautiful music theatre than a shithole, so no, I will not just be happy with the Dying Room.  I did not go to this past Dying Room show and I will never go there again.  I pray that the band moves on and does not make anyone else go there either.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2004, 08:01:31 pm »
I commend you Wolf for not going to the past show. Of course sharing in a community spirit in a nice place is preferred but if this is the only place they can play.... But back to you not attending, that is the kind of backbone I can admire. It will take more likeminded people to make a difference though. I do however think that the band has nothing to do w/ settling for mediocrity in this case. I believe that this is the only place that their booking agent has had luck with in this city. I really believe that this fanbase needs to start pushing the management/booking team to start being a little more aggressive in getting this band teamed up in venues w/ drawing bands. I realize that the guys in the band are only in their mid 20\'s and their management is probably around the same age so maybe the connections needed to book have not been completely solidified. This band deserves to play good clubs we all know this but complaining is not going to change things. I suggest you all call Wolf next time the Livingroom is booked to see what he plans to do that evening.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Wolfman

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2004, 08:27:05 pm »
Originally posted by leith
but if this is the only place they can play....

...then there is something horribly wrong with the booking department and the band needs to either find someone who can get them into another room or not play in Providence anymore.  

Leith, in regards to your last post, they changed booking agents within the last 8 months, so if they STILL can\'t play anywhere else, then they need to just give up on this market.  The new agent is doing better than the last one, but if there are still no other opportunities in Providence, then they should throw in the towel and stop wasting their time and ours with the Dying Room.  

I completely agree that the fanbase can be doing a lot more to push the band towards progress, I\'m at the top of that list.  So hey people, if you want to see anything imporved with the band, rally some support in here, and then tell someone who can do something about it!  Josh Kroop is the band\'s manager he can be reached at psychjosh@yahoo.com and Tim\'s email is tmn8r@attbi.com  Start by telling them how bad the Dying Room is.

Leith, you also say that "maybe the connections to book have not been completely soldified."  It\'s been 5.5 years.  If not now, when?

Wolfman

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2004, 08:28:26 pm »
And by the way people, the Dying Room is NOT in Providence, I don\'t care what the mailing address is.  The Dying Room is in a remote dark slum where not a single person will ever stumble in, or even see a flyer for an upcoming show in the window.  You can\'t even see it from any road just to know that the place even exists.  What a disgrace.

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2004, 09:23:56 pm »
Technically Wolf, the LR is in Providence, since 3/4 of the city is the slums, heh. I completely agree with what everyone has said in this thread except the people defending the place.

Leith, there is absolutely nothing wrong with playing to the same 50 or so people every time out, but there is a much bigger group in this city who would go see the show if it were played at a nicer club and promoted by the club. I tryed my best to flyer the town, although that went unsuccessful due to lack of time because I had to leave for Spring Break. I flyered my entire campus (tiny as can be) and saw a few faces that I\'ve seen around campus before, which makes me think that it worked a little bit. Brown and RISD are full of kids who love this type of music and it shows when I go to Addison Groove, and others who play The Call. The place is always packed, and at least half them have never heard/seen the band on stage. The place is better all around, from sound to promoting their shows. I go see my buddy\'s band play at The Call and they draw a bigger crowd than the Breakfast, which sickens me, because they are not that good, rarely leave Providence, play the same damn songs every show. But the promotion the club does for them and word of mouth gets them a good draw. Not trying to put ya down bro, but you have no idea what the LR is like. Yea, they\'re getting a new PA system; how about advertisements in the Phoenix (Providence\'s arts/ent weekly paper) (the Call gets back cover color ads for most of their shows), how about getting some running water in the place. It amazes me that this place has not been shut down due to Health hazards.

And it\'s not a good thing to just leap over Providence if they can\'t play anywhere else. I honestly think they can be booked at Lupo\'s as an opener, or The Call as a headliner. Providence is a gateway to a new fanbase in this part of New England. It is 40 minutes to both Boston and Worcester, both cities which bigger shows are played. If people get to see a band they fall inn love with down here, they are more than likely to drive to either of those cities when they play there.

Then again, I am a hypocrite and will be at the Living Room again this weekend to watch a show.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"