Author Topic: Who\'s nostalgic?  (Read 7492 times)

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 02:14:51 pm »
literally, there are endless bands out there doin what the breakfast have been doin(not musically, but touringwise) and bein fine w/ that? look at the mclovins fer christsakes.  they\'re not gonna be the next Phish, but if they\'re in town, I\'d be hardpressed not to go.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 02:38:39 pm »
IMO with The Breakfast stepped off the stage, Umphrey\'s McGee is the best band touring now.

Unfortunately they don\'t play around here often enough to catch many shows at all.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 02:46:44 pm »
Unfortunately I can\'t stand UM, but I\'ll give them their due.  All the more reason to hit the road.  no better place to see UM than Chi-town.

what\'s your take on the Brew, tuna?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:46:44 pm by Igziabeher »

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 03:36:57 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s
What about the Royal Family ?

Letuce, Nigel Hall, Krasno, Soulive, Breakscience etc etc based out of Maine.

I guess it depends on definitions of jam band but....

Royal Family has 0 shows, no bio, and 6 fans listed on Jambase.  Never heard of \'em and they don\'t seem to exist.  All of those other bands combined have 12 shows on their calendars, and after factoring out two festivals in Florida they have a combined 5 upcoming headliner shows, none in New England or New York.  So I don\'t think those acts exactly constitute a northeast jam scene.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 05:10:52 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;274131
Unfortunately I can\'t stand UM, but I\'ll give them their due.  All the more reason to hit the road.  no better place to see UM than Chi-town.

what\'s your take on the Brew, tuna?

Surprised you can\'t stand UM... a lot of their songs are heavy and progressive with sick guitar work. Other songs are dancey and they do awesome covers.

Then again I mostly ignored Umphreys for like 5 years because I was way more interested in catching Breakfast shows wherever possible. But I saw Umphreys just over a month ago and enjoyed it as much as a good Breakfast show. Although I\'m pretty sure Umphreys was really on fire that night.

What is really lame is that thing where the band and the fans put there hands together above their head in some weird "U" shape formation. And the crowd is too big for me to even find all my friends or say hi to everyone I might know. I think I\'ve been spoiled being a Breakfast fan because to me 150-300 people is the perfect size of a crowd to enjoy a concert and still have it be an intimate experience.

As for The Brew, I only saw them twice and both times it was opening for Breakfast. I am listening to them on YouTube right now and they sound like an okay band but not one I will travel to see. If they come to town I\'ll fit it into my schedule, maybe they\'ll win me over live.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 05:44:19 pm »
Tea Leaf Green plays the NE twice a year every year. They tour constantly all over the States still going strong.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 06:22:14 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman;274133

Royal Family has 0 shows, no bio, and 6 fans listed on Jambase.  Never heard of \'em and they don\'t seem to exist.  All of those other bands combined have 12 shows on their calendars, and after factoring out two festivals in Florida they have a combined 5 upcoming headliner shows, none in New England or New York.  So I don\'t think those acts exactly constitute a northeast jam scene.

royal family is the record company that represents those bands. they are not a band but a family of bands under their umbrella.

you brought up soulive and now they don\'t count ?
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 07:53:36 pm »
Soulive played like 2 straight weeks in BKLN, I think thats safe to say their NE based.

Wolfman

Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 07:18:22 am »
Quote from: kindm\'s;274141
Quote from: Wolfman;274133

royal family is the record company that represents those bands. they are not a band but a family of bands under their umbrella.

you brought up soulive and now they don\'t count ?

I mentioned how we\'re lucky that Soulive exists at all and they do not tour as much as they used to.  Royal Family does not a scene make, that\'s for sure.

Other notable jamband casualties include Particle, The New Deal, and Deep Banana Blackout.  Surprised Particle and The New Deal couldn\'t hang on longer with an untzy sound but there could be any number of factors that led them to stop.  And DBB...wow...can you imagine starting a band with a horn section in 2011?  Or even ONE horn?  You\'d have to be out of your mind.  More mouths in the band to feed for a sound that nobody wants.  Sad, really.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:30:30 am by Wolfman »

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 08:42:17 am »
Particle was the victim of Phil & Friends kind of.

DBB does have a double set Turkey Weekend but your point is taken. Will you be attending Rock N Roll Resort ?
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 09:31:25 am »
There\'s a bunch of newer bands with horns... my favorites are Groove Shoes and Akashic Record (both Northampton natives I think)

It does seem like they have to split the cash up too many ways but they are playing regular shows at least.

I wouldn\'t say it\'s a sound nobody wants at all. I\'m sure it varies from town to town.

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 09:58:14 am »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;274159
There\'s a bunch of newer bands with horns... my favorites are Groove Shoes and Akashic Record (both Northampton natives I think)

sister sparrow and the dirty birds, sharon jones and the dap kings to name a few others...
Where to next?

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 10:56:07 am »
If any Gypsies see this:  Marco Benevento is playing with Claude Coleman and Dave Dreiwitz of WEEN tonight at the Red Door in Portsmouth.  I know you guys like to consider yourselves Ween fans.

Wolfman

Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 11:23:22 am »
Quote from: simpletwistupdon;274160
Quote from: bdfreetuna;274159

sister sparrow and the dirty birds, sharon jones and the dap kings to name a few others...

Love SJ&TDK.  Seen them twice.  They\'re smart to market themselves to an older crowd that can appreciate their sound. The sit-in with Phish for 10/31/09 makes sense because Phish\'s crowd is also almost entirely people in their late-20\'s to late-40\'s who will appreciate a band with horns.  We\'ll never again see bands like DBB, Addison Groove Project, Miracle Orchestra, Ulu (another casualty worth noting), Topaz (yet another) etc. that feature horns and market to a college crowd.  Any band that does is doomed to fail IMO.  If you\'re going to have horns and you want to play stand-up-and-dance clubs (as opposed to jazz lounges), then you better have some plan to go after the 30-something set because kidz these days want no part of organic music.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:27:01 am by Wolfman »

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 11:26:56 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;274165
because kidz these days want no part of organic music.

sad story...
Where to next?