Author Topic: Who\'s nostalgic?  (Read 7494 times)

JHamel

Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 09:33:09 pm »
Thanks for the Mori Stylez albums man, NICE!!!!!  Soulive has definetely become a pretty big entity (ha ha..tity).  They had some festival at Killington over the summer and it included Lettuce and a couple other side groups of theirs.  Anyone remember a free show they did at Trinity in the \'02?  Badass, then MMW did a similar show with a Q and A  before hand, it was so dope.  Nostalgia Running Rampant around here.
"The crux of the biscuit, is the apostrophe."

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 06:02:39 am »
The Slip still plays and is in SF for NYE this year.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 06:20:32 am »
they still play here and there, but far from regularly.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 06:25:16 am »
Quote from: JHamel;274085
Thanks for the Mori Stylez albums man, NICE!!!!!  Soulive has definetely become a pretty big entity (ha ha..tity).  They had some festival at Killington over the summer and it included Lettuce and a couple other side groups of theirs.  Anyone remember a free show they did at Trinity in the \'02?  Badass, then MMW did a similar show with a Q and A  before hand, it was so dope.  Nostalgia Running Rampant around here.

I was at the MMW Q+A show at Trinity College in \'04.  Great stuff.

moe. obviously on the list and going strong.  Can one of you moe.rons give us a ballpark number on how many shows they have played?

Wolfman

Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 06:25:52 am »

moe. obviously on the list and going strong.  (I shoulda mentioned them before.)  Can one of you moe.rons give us a ballpark number on how many shows they have played?

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 08:38:28 am »
These guys sucked, but I remember Mighty Purple... They were out of Hamden...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 09:55:29 am »
I think it\'s safe to say the jamband "bubble" has popped. Very few of these bands survive, as most of you have noticed and mentioned. Seems the scene has shifted toward electronica/dj mashup weirdness.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Wolfman

Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 10:22:46 am »
Quote from: Vassillios;274100
I think it\'s safe to say the jamband "bubble" has popped. Very few of these bands survive, as most of you have noticed and mentioned. Seems the scene has shifted toward electronica/dj mashup weirdness.

Definitely in the northeast it\'s more or less over.  The Breakfast was actually the last of the Mohicans on the northeast jamband front besides moe.  And I highly doubt that moe. is making any new fans, they just are fortunate enough to have enough old fans to sustain the program at a reasonable profit. (Same with Phish for that matter.)  I guess other parts of the country are different, case in point being Tea Leaf Green making strides with uber-fluffy jamrock.  I don\'t blame TLG for not coming up here.  Northeast went Bisco > Brothers Past/New Deal/Particle/etc. > Pretty Lights/Girl Talk etc. and the only step left is a full-on embrace of the dubstep revolution.  Ugh.  I know that some of these little new bands like Indobox exist up here, but I can\'t see any of them going anywhere no matter how good they are.

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 10:24:34 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;274092

I was at that show too... wasn\'t scofield with them as well?
Where to next?

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 10:35:32 am »
Rezi!!!!!!

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 10:54:12 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;274102

Definitely in the northeast it\'s more or less over.  The Breakfast was actually the last of the Mohicans on the northeast jamband front besides moe.  And I highly doubt that moe. is making any new fans, they just are fortunate enough to have enough old fans to sustain the program at a reasonable profit. (Same with Phish for that matter.)  I guess other parts of the country are different, case in point being Tea Leaf Green making strides with uber-fluffy jamrock.  I don\'t blame TLG for not coming up here.  Northeast went Bisco > Brothers Past/New Deal/Particle/etc. > Pretty Lights/Girl Talk etc. and the only step left is a full-on embrace of the dubstep revolution.  Ugh.  I know that some of these little new bands like Indobox exist up here, but I can\'t see any of them going anywhere no matter how good they are.

Yeah def in the northeast, I have no idea what it\'s like in other parts of the country.

It\'s really a buyer\'s market in the music industry today... if your band doesn\'t shift to what\'s in demand you ain\'t gonna make it. The jam scene has been flooded with too many bands i nthe past 10 years, and the demand to see this type of music is a lot less, making it very tough for any jamband to make it.

Personally I\'m ready for rock music to come back kickin\' in the coming decade, but everything i read and hear says all forms of rock music have been played out. Even hip-hop is dead.

I can\'t stand electro/dj shit, i\'ll tell you that much.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 10:59:04 am »
Am I the only one that was really into PB/TB only?  I remember catching crap from people because I thought that Max Creek and Hunbinger Street sucked...  PB used to open all the time for Creek and I would just leave after their set was over...  I think that it was about the people in the band for me since I became friends with them for a period of time...  Before they started really started touring in \'01, they were a rock band that jammed, not a jam band...  I had a hard time coming to grip with hear a song that was originally 5 minutes pushed to 10-15, but since it was the boys, I got used to it...  I think that is why it was tough for me to get into the different incarnations of the band with Matt and Chris, because they weren\'t the core...  Aside from the Dead, Phish and old PB shows, my jam-band days are gone...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 11:19:24 am »
well, Max Creek and Hubinger St. do suck ;)

and as far as the amt. of shows moe. played, there are about 1600 kept track of on PT, but the first few years are missing a shitload, so probably closer to 1800.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:19:24 am by Igziabeher »

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 12:53:04 pm »
I wouldn\'t exactly call Indobox our saving grace. They strike me as a worse and explicitly gay version of the Disco Biscuits

At least Max Creek can jam

I certainly wouldn\'t mind some serious rock bands popping up even if they don\'t really jam but wrote kick ass songs. That stuff seems to have died out with the 90s though

That said, at least Smashing Pumpkins are still touring and kicking ass
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 01:59:06 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman;274102

What about the Royal Family ?

Letuce, Nigel Hall, Krasno, Soulive, Breakscience etc etc based out of Maine.

I guess it depends on definitions of jam band but....
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19