Author Topic: Who\'s nostalgic?  (Read 7468 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Who\'s nostalgic?
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:06:41 pm »
So I made it through the show on Friday OK, but now I\'m listening to Percy Hill and getting REALLY nostalgic for the late-90\'s/early 00\'s northeast jam scene:
Percy Hill, Miracle Orchestra, GSW, Jiggle the Handle, Strangefolk w/ Reid, Addison Groove Project, PB, The Slip...

*sigh*  Well, we\'re really lucky that PB lasted WAY longer than all those bands.  Total miracle, actually.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:13:47 pm »
I plan on spending my next year with Otis Grove, Akashic Record, and Groove Shoes, and DPR, and maybe a Kung Fu show or two

Obviously without PB/TB around anymore not only our little scene but good music in the Northeast has taken a hit

Yeah I was a fan of The Slip especially around Y2K.. Strangefolk as well
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Wolfman

Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 07:28:53 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;274057
I plan on spending my next year with Otis Grove, Akashic Record, and Groove Shoes, and DPR, and maybe a Kung Fu show or two

Obviously without PB/TB around anymore not only our little scene but good music in the Northeast has taken a hit

Yeah I was a fan of The Slip especially around Y2K.. Strangefolk as well

I\'ll have to give those bands a shake at some point.  

I hear you on Slip2K.  The Slip 12/31/00 is the only band I have ever seen on NYE besides The Breakfast (7x) and Phish (3x) and it is still one of my Top-25 all-time shows seen.  Strangefolk when Reid Genauer was in the band was awesome.  Their lead guitar player was kind of a wuss in jams but Reid\'s vocals and the overall melodies and lyrics were the best on the scene.  Both bands were the pristine product of pre-9/11 innocence and pre-digital-era organic jamrock.  Few if any bands are playing songs like those now.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:39:00 pm by Wolfman »

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 07:36:04 pm »
I\'ve been going through all the FFs for the last couple of days...  I have a couple more before I can get to this years show...  After all these years, the FF1 is still my favorite...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

JHamel

Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:51:19 pm »
Don\'t Forget Mori Stylez Wolf, That band was devastating.
"The crux of the biscuit, is the apostrophe."

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:01:07 pm »
what about Schleigho

I wasnt\' really aware of them until this year when Bonzo told me to listen to them... they\'re pretty sick but I don\'t think they play anymore
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

Rickey Roux

• The Ludes Did It
    • http://www.myspace.com/rickeyroux
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 08:20:20 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;274065
what about Schleigho

I wasnt\' really aware of them until this year when Bonzo told me to listen to them... they\'re pretty sick but I don\'t think they play anymore

Big fan of Schleigho.  I certainly missed their heyday, but they still play out a few times a year.
You Lucky Bastards!

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 08:30:13 pm »
Quote from: JHamel;274063

those were my boyz from UHA... if I have time tomorrow I\'ll try and megaupload their albums. I have a few discs that weren\'t heavily circulated.
Where to next?

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:33:00 pm »
loved mori stylez
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

Wolfman

Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 08:38:31 pm »
Quote from: simpletwistupdon;274068
Quote from: JHamel;274063

those were my boyz from UHA... if I have time tomorrow I\'ll try and megaupload their albums. I have a few discs that weren\'t heavily circulated.

YES Don/Jimmy!  Saw them at least 10 times and booked them in Butterfield!  Dennis and crew were not to be fucked with.  

Please UL that stuff Don!  I would be most grateful.  Thanks!

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 08:40:28 pm »
Uncle Sammy was solid too.  

I dunno, there are still some Northeast band that kick it, Indobox, if you\'re into that type of shit can be a fun time.

Hell, I randomly ended up at Fungus Amungus on Saturday night and had a surprisingly good time.  Maybe cuz it was their Halloween show and played 2001, Moby Dick, Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Frankenstein.  I\'ve heard enough good things about Otis Grove and Higher Organix and a few others.

Wolfman

Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 08:50:55 pm »
Uncle Sammy was indeed fun and probably the best ever co-bill with PB.

Another band that fits in the discussion and is still at it is Soulive.  Glad they\'re still kicking it.  There\'s no way they have played nearly as many shows as The Breakfast though.

The big national jam acts from the time have actually held up quite well: MMW, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, SCI, Biscuits, and Phish.  All still groovin\'!  Although the Flecktones and Bisco are the only ones that still tour like they used to.  We\'re very lucky on this front.

Oh and of course WSP.  Almost forgot!  I forget they exist sometimes.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:53:28 pm by Wolfman »

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 08:59:32 pm »
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:16:36 pm by simpletwistupdon »
Where to next?

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 09:05:31 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman;274076
Uncle Sammy was indeed fun and probably the best ever co-bill with PB.

Another band that fits in the discussion and is still at it is Soulive.  Glad they\'re still kicking it.  There\'s no way they have played nearly as many shows as The Breakfast though.

The big national jam acts from the time have actually held up quite well: MMW, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, SCI, Biscuits, and Phish.  All still groovin\'!  Although the Flecktones and Bisco are the only ones that still tour like they used to.  We\'re very lucky on this front.

Oh and of course WSP.  Almost forgot!  I forget they exist sometimes.

Bisco hasn\'t been touring for shit lately and Panic is due for a hiatus after this year I tihink.  Cheese plays like twice a year, I\'m thinkful we get as much Phish as we can.  And oh yeah, moe. is still touring strong;)

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Who\'s nostalgic?
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 09:27:33 pm »
Sparkplug is also wicked sick.... \'the music of melvin sparks"

they played recently in CT with Scott Murawski (from Max Creek)
I missed it but saw a youtube clip it was rediculous