Author Topic: Some Breakfast should make it into Kung Fu yeah?  (Read 3368 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Some Breakfast should make it into Kung Fu yeah?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 11:18:53 am »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;273419
Great tunes are great tunes and they should play whatever they think is worth adding to the rotation; original, Breakfast cover or other cover.

I wish it were as simple as "great tunes are great tunes" but it is much more complex than that.  For example, Dave Grohl was a drummer and songwriter for Nirvana before starting the Foo Fighters, just like Adrian for The Breakfast/Kung Fu.  Let\'s say that the Foo Fighters start their band and regularly play a bunch of well-known Nirvana songs at their shows.  The Foo Fighters brand would be completely different.  They would be "the band with Dave Grohl that plays Nirvana songs (and oh they have some new songs too)."  Which is fine if you\'re trying to be a "we\'re-the-same-old-band-but-with-some-different-members" band (E.g. The Dead, The Other Ones or the current Sublime) but it\'s bad if you\'re trying to start a decidedly new band.  You can\'t have it both ways.  

Kung Fu needs to be a new band.  There is nothing for them to gain by riding The Breakfast\'s coattails. (No offense to The Breakfast.)  They can write new songs and they can play all the covers they want that The Breakfast never played or barely ever played.  But no Breakfast originals.  No RAQ originals.  And no covers that The Breakfast or RAQ rotated regularly. (i.e. Echidna\'s Arf).  For Kung Fu to win the brand has to be fresh.

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 12:59:36 pm »
a cool loungy \'Simpelton\' (from mokijam)would be nice to throw in just to see how it goes. again only a few of us would know what it is so it would seem like \'new material\'
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

wiredchicken

• teamCosmicSpacewayRhyme
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 01:46:26 pm »
they already play Raq tunes though...

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 02:19:13 pm »
They can play RAQ tunes for all I care, except RAQ tunes aren\'t very good, and RAQ was never a totally epic band like The Breakfast, so I don\'t see how that would benefit them anyway
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 02:33:59 pm »
kung fu covers epic bands

the breakfast is an epic band

also, they can play whatever the fuck they want.

/thread
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 04:12:01 pm »
In a place I used to work they had a sign that said:
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over; expecting different results.

If Kung Fu goes on tour, catches on, and returns to the New England area to sell out Toad\'s or a similar sized venue, then play one breakfast song to throw a bone to loyal fans who stuck through the lean years.

Other than that, those songs have no business in the Kung Fu rotation.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 04:18:05 pm »
I don\'t see it as throwing a bone.

I\'d probably have very mixed feelings about hearing it (and by mixed feelings I mean being not happy to hear a reminder that The Breakfast is on hiatus and now another band is playing their songs)

obviously they can and will do whatever they want. But to win me over as a fan they need to develop their own material and not just play jazz-fusion covers and mostly other covers

that said, I was more likely to be a Kung Fu fan before TB announced upcoming hiatus

I believe, considering recent developments, I am entitled to my pissy opinions on the subject
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 07:01:53 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;273434

also, they can play whatever the fuck they want.

/thread

Obviously they can play anything, it\'s not illegal or anything.  It\'s just a matter of if they want to do what\'s good for them.  There are plenty of things that anyone can do, but we\'re talking about whether it\'s a good idea.  And Breakfast songs in the rotation is not a good idea for Kung Fu.  

/ending threads prematurely.  Continue discussion.