Author Topic: George Michael To Quit The Music Industry  (Read 1625 times)

tiedyetoga

George Michael To Quit The Music Industry
« on: March 11, 2004, 08:58:07 am »
George Michael has revealed plans for his future, saying he plans to leave the traditional confines of the music industry and release new material for free online instead.

The singer says his new album \'Patience\' will be the last release to be made commercially available in record shops, because he simply does not feel the need to continue making a living from new recordings - and wants freedom from the pressure of promoting new releases:

"I\'ve been very well remunerated for my talents over the years so I really don\'t need the public\'s money."

Speaking live on BBC Radio 1, the 40-year-old said: "I\'m sure it\'s unprecedented, it\'s definitely unprecedented for someone who still sells records.

"I\'ve been very well remunerated for my talents over the years so I really don\'t need the public\'s money."

Fans will still be able to access new material online, with tracks available to download in return for making donations to charity.

"It does two things," Michael added, explaining his choice, "it takes the pressure off to have a collection of songs every so many years, which is what nearly killed me.

"I\'m not pretending I won\'t be famous any more, but in the modern world if you take yourself out of the financial aspect of things, you\'re not making anybody any money, you\'re not losing anybody any money. Believe me, I\'ll be of very little interest to the press in a certain number of years.

"I\'ll hopefully be a happier man, giving my music and also doing something really positive with my music if people are generous enough to donate to the site. I\'ll remove myself from all that negativity."
Source: http://www.soundgenerator.com/news/index.cfm?articleid=3304

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 09:12:18 am »
pretty cool.. more people should be like george michael..

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 11:09:57 am »
so how would radiostations access his music for airplay? or is he just COMPLETELY abandoning the whole thing all together? The songs would still all be copyrighted, but how would ASCAP track there usage? very intersting. I have newfound respect for george michael.

but I aint gonna go-go for ANYONE. I don\'t care who you are.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 12:36:04 pm »
i thought he quit about 10 years ago when he got caught givin a bj in a bathroom somewhere....
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 01:21:41 pm »
That is one gay man who seems to really care.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.