Author Topic: Construct a Phish Setlist...  (Read 3761 times)

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Construct a Phish Setlist...
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:58:33 pm »
Construct a Phish setlist (2 sets plus encore), using only one song from each of their 15 studio albums (see Wolfman’s Sporcle quiz here for all the songs on each album, excluding the Europe release in 1996: http://www.sporcle.com/games/wolfsbro/phish-complete-studio-discography-with-track-listings.  Once you start the timer, you can click the GIVE UP? Button directly above it to reveal the answers).  

I had a lot of fun doing this.  It’s interesting because having a show with your favorite live song from each album isn’t by a long shot necessarily your perfect show, since you are limited by song number and by the fact that you cannot pick more than one per album.  You also have to put into consideration what would sound logical in what order, and general flow of the show.  I think it would be interesting to see what everyone comes up with.  Here was mine…

Set 1: Party Time, Reba, Walls of the Cave, Stash, Sugar Shack, Scents and Subtle Sounds, Maze, Character Zero
Set 2: Sand> My Name is Slick*> Ghost> Down with Disease, Fluffhead, Slave to the Traffic Light
Encore: The Lizards
*First Time Played
DS Newbers

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:53:12 pm »
Set I: Alumni Blues > Letters to Jimmy Page > Alumni Blues, Bathtub Gin > Undermind, Ocelot, Wilson, David Bowie, First Tube

Set II: Seven Below > Liquid Time*, Tweezer > What\'s the Use? > Waste, The Wedge > Ghost**

E: Julius, Tweezer Reprise

*First time played
**Hartford 2000 style!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:30:06 am by simpletwistupdon »
Where to next?

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:26:56 pm »
I guess this is compulsory for me!  For shits and giggles, I\'ll go in order of album too.

I: Run Like An Antelope > The Lizards > You Enjoy Myself*, Reba, Guelah Papyrus, All Things Reconsidered > Down With Disease**
II: Split Open and Melt > Taste > Ghost > Quadrophonic Toppling > First Tube, Pebbles and Marbles > Crowd Control > Light  
E: Only A Dream***

*Three songs in and PT/couch tour is blowing up with "Greatest show of 3.0" talk.
** Easily the most incredible set of 3.0, possibly the greatest first set in Phish history.
***Greatest show in Phish history, KANGFIRM\'D.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 12:42:27 am »
the issue w/ going in the same order that the albums were released is the end of the second set is gonna be weak.

Wolfman

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 01:48:40 am »
Quote from: Igziabeher;271451
the issue w/ going in the same order that the albums were released is the end of the second set is gonna be weak.

Not as many good songs to choose from, but every song in my setlist kicks ass.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 10:14:09 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;271449
I guess this is compulsory for me!  For shits and giggles, I\'ll go in order of album too.

I: Run Like An Antelope > The Lizards > You Enjoy Myself*, Reba, Guelah Papyrus, All Things Reconsidered > Down With Disease**
II: Split Open and Melt > Taste > Ghost > Quadrophonic Toppling > First Tube, Pebbles and Marbles > Crowd Control > Light  
E: Only A Dream***

*Three songs in and PT/couch tour is blowing up with "Greatest show of 3.0" talk.
** Easily the most incredible set of 3.0, possibly the greatest first set in Phish history.
***Greatest show in Phish history, KANGFIRM\'D.

This is a pretty epic setlist
DS Newbers

santropez

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 02:14:56 am »
damn this was harder than i thought it would be.  didn\'t turn out quite the way i\'d hoped, i might do another one.

I: Rift > Foam, Scent of a Mule, Fuck your Face > AC/DC Bag, Mexican Cousin, BDTNL > Bug
II: Tweezer > Undermind > Liquid Time, What\'s the Use?, Free, The Squirming Coil
E: Birds of a Feather

Wolfman

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 02:09:30 pm »
Quote from: santropez;271521
damn this was harder than i thought it would be.  didn\'t turn out quite the way i\'d hoped, i might do another one.

I: Rift > Foam, Scent of a Mule, Fuck your Face > AC/DC Bag, Mexican Cousin, BDTNL > Bug
II: Tweezer > Undermind > Liquid Time, What\'s the Use?, Free, The Squirming Coil
E: Birds of a Feather

Nice!  Love the opener segues for both sets.  Squirming Coil is an all-time great set II closer, nice call there too.  I like all the songs in the 2nd set but I can\'t see 3.0 Phish milking more than 60 minutes out of those 6 songs.  A big part of this challenge is that you only get 15 total songs, whereas most Phish shows are 18-24 songs, so you gotta pick some long ones.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 03:19:56 pm »
I- Free, Mound, Reba> Kill Devil Falls, 46 Days> NO2> Demand
II- The Mango Song, The Sloth, The Name Is Slick, The Birdwatcher, Meat> Twist> David Bowie
E- Access Me

had to put Bowie in for Fluffhead because technically Fluff\'s Travels is a separate track on Junta.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:37:04 pm by Igziabeher »

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 07:09:48 pm »
I: Down with Disease > What\'s The Use, Billy Breathes, Army of One, Stash, Sand

II: Birds of a Feather, All of These Dreams, Fast Enough for You > Light > Run Like an Antelope, Let Me Lie, Fluffhead

E: Split Open and Melt > Tela
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 08:16:06 pm »
you gonna take your bike out tuna ?
*Gia*

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 08:24:29 pm »
yeah man, I\'m gonna ride it just how I like
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

phish4breakfast

• Spreading Chrimbus Cheer
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 09:03:21 pm »
Set 1: Shafty>Maze>Icculus, Bathtun Gin*>Moma Dance, Stealing Time

Set 2: Twist>Happy Whip and Dung Song> Julius, Tweezer> The Sloth> Fuck Your Face,  Theme from the Bottom

E: Birdwatcher, 46 Days

*30 minute Gin

** Tweezer Reprise saved for next night :)

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 10:11:31 am »
Quote from: Igziabeher;271531
I- Free, Mound, Reba> Kill Devil Falls, 46 Days> NO2> Demand
II- The Mango Song, The Sloth, The Name Is Slick, The Birdwatcher, Meat> Twist> David Bowie
E- Access Me

had to put Bowie in for Fluffhead because technically Fluff\'s Travels is a separate track on Junta.

i forgot to mention...fluffhead counts as the entire thing as it is played in it\'s current form.  Also, the horse>silent in the morning and forbin>mockingbird both count as one song since they are always played that way.
DS Newbers

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 10:39:57 am »
Quote from: simpletwistupdon;271445
Set I: Alumni Blues > Letters to Jimmy Page > Alumni Blues, Bathtub Gin > Undermind, Ocelot, Wilson, David Bowie, First Tube

Set II: Seven Below > Liquid Time*, Tweezer > What\'s the Use? > Waste, The Wedge > Ghost** > Tweezer Reprise

E: Julius

*First time played
**Hartford 2000 style!

So does something like the Alumni > Letters > Alumni count because its typically played that way more often times then not?  Or Tweeprise when Tweezer is played in a show?
Where to next?