Author Topic: World Cup 2010  (Read 15918 times)

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
World Cup 2010
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2010, 10:52:53 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;258346
Quote from: leith;258344

Lineage my ass, once the U.S. is out if that happens then go ahead and root for the godforsaken country you claim so much loyalty for but don\'t bother to move the fuck back there.

:applause: and on a much larger scale than soccer. It\'s ok (and right) to point out and try to fix the flaws of our country.  But nationalism for another country is like a married man having a picture of his ex-girlfriend on the nightstand.

How about just having loyalty to the cultures you were bred into? I\'m not sayin I\'m un-American, but geeze... but its not like the US is known for its soccer status. Might as well root for a country your connected to that cares!
Where to next?

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
World Cup 2010
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2010, 11:14:14 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;258348
Yeah it\'s just sport but anyone not a National of another country, living in this country and taking advantage of all it has to offer can shut the fuck up if not rooting for the U.S first and foremost.
Lineage my ass, once the U.S. is out if that happens then go ahead and root for the godforsaken country you claim so much loyalty for but don\'t bother to move the fuck back there.

The U.S. Team deserves the support of a united Nation like every other country but it has fucks that would rather root for countries they most likely never even visited then the Red White and Blue of the Country that they ARE MAKING HOME!
USA! USA! USA!

:end of jingoistic,nationalistic, rant:

If this was the World Baseball Classic or Olympic Basketball or any other international competition, I would cheer USA first and foremost.  But my mother is from Portugal, my uncles(one of whom was an all american soccer player at Keene before finishing college and going to play in Portugal), who taught me everything I know about soccer are from Portugal and anyone who\'s ever coached me or I\'ve watched soccer with as a youth were all born in Portugal(Go Benfica!), so excuse me for not being Patriotic in one international competition.  I bleed red and green.

Good for you. You should move to Portugal.
Quote from: simpletwistupdon;258349
Quote from: wildcoyote;258346

:applause: and on a much larger scale than soccer. It\'s ok (and right) to point out and try to fix the flaws of our country.  But nationalism for another country is like a married man having a picture of his ex-girlfriend on the nightstand.

How about just having loyalty to the cultures you were bred into? I\'m not sayin I\'m un-American, but geeze... but its not like the US is known for its soccer status. Might as well root for a country your connected to that cares!

That\'s a bunch of front running bullshit. Who gives a fuck if we are not as good as the rest of the world? You still root for your National team good or bad. Bred into? Where the fuck do you live,raise your family and enjoy all the freedoms this country provides right now?
The U.S. Team deserves the support of the Nation but it seems the very thing that makes this country great will never allow that to happen.
When did being patriotic become a bad thing? Fucking ridiculous.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
World Cup 2010
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 12:01:02 am »
trust me, i\'d love to.

my grandfather moved here to give his children and eventually his grandchildren more opportunity.  I don\'t feel like giving a family history lesson, but my family grew up on an island that was roughly 100 sq. miles.  they had no indoor plumbing and all 5 kids would have to take 1 bath a week all in the same water.  So he did us a favor by moving to the USA and working hard to give us a future, but I\'m not gonna forget my heritage just because USA has a soccer program that most Americans don\'t give a fuck about.

If I was talented enough(as my brother and uncle were, hell my cousin played professionally in europe for a bit) to play in the World Cup, I\'d choose to play for Portugal over USA, which I could based on the regulations.

but i\'m a bad american for not cheering for their soccer squad first and foremost.  oh well, leith.  deal with it.  if you think i should be deported for cheering against my homeland in 1 sport then you\'re just a moron.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:01:02 am by Igziabeher »

leith

World Cup 2010
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 12:58:43 am »
Quote from: Igziabeher;258351
trust me, i\'d love to.

my grandfather moved here to give his children and eventually his grandchildren more opportunity.  I don\'t feel like giving a family history lesson, but my family grew up on an island that was roughly 100 sq. miles.  they had no indoor plumbing and all 5 kids would have to take 1 bath a week all in the same water.  So he did us a favor by moving to the USA and working hard to give us a future, but I\'m not gonna forget my heritage just because USA has a soccer program that most Americans don\'t give a fuck about.

If I was talented enough(as my brother and uncle were, hell my cousin played professionally in europe for a bit) to play in the World Cup, I\'d choose to play for Portugal over USA, which I could based on the regulations.

but i\'m a bad american for not cheering for their soccer squad first and foremost.  oh well, leith.  deal with it.  if you think i should be deported for cheering against my homeland in 1 sport then you\'re just a moron.

You shouldn\'t be deported but you are a bad American and I am glad you\'re not talented enough to disgrace the country that has given your family so fucking much by playing for the shitty country they fled to live here.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
World Cup 2010
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 01:13:39 am »
Quote from: leith;258353

You shouldn\'t be deported but you are a bad American and I am glad you\'re not talented enough to disgrace the country that has given your family so fucking much by playing for the shitty country they fled to live here.

whats so shitty about it?

leith

World Cup 2010
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 01:31:46 am »
Quote from: Igziabeher;258354

Well it seems to me not having indoor plumbing, 5 kids taking 1 bath a week all in the same water and living on an island is pretty shitty.
Seems to me someone talented enough to play futbol on a high level would be a bit more grateful to a country that improved his entire family\'s quality of living so much.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
World Cup 2010
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 01:53:33 am »
Quote from: leith;258355

Well it seems to me not having indoor plumbing, 5 kids taking 1 bath a week all in the same water and living on an island is pretty shitty.
Seems to me someone talented enough to play futbol on a high level would be a bit more grateful to a country that improved his entire family\'s quality of living so much.

you\'re an incessant asshole, you know that.  its a real lovely place, just was behind the times in the 50s and early 60s.  keep up your tirade all you want, i\'m done w/ a prick like you.  its one thing if its lakers celtics, but you feel the need to insult my heritage and undermine my american spirit and to me you\'re a piece of shit who steps on any soapbox he can to drill home some inane point.  so kindly eat a d, you faggot west coast hippie, and if i do happen to see you on your trip east, i\'m gonna put my size 13 up your ass and you can try to guess what country that shoe was made in.

leith

World Cup 2010
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 02:06:24 am »
Quote from: Igziabeher;258356
Quote from: leith;258355

you\'re an incessant asshole, you know that.  its a real lovely place, just was behind the times in the 50s and early 60s.  keep up your tirade all you want, i\'m done w/ a prick like you.  its one thing if its lakers celtics, but you feel the need to insult my heritage and undermine my american spirit and to me you\'re a piece of shit who steps on any soapbox he can to drill home some inane point.  so kindly eat a d, you faggot west coast hippie, and if i do happen to see you on your trip east, i\'m gonna put my size 13 up your ass and you can try to guess what country that shoe was made in.

Sure it is a beautiful place and as I said you should experience that and move there where your loyalty to that country would be more appreciated.

Seems you are the one undermining your American spirit with a misplaced loyalty to a place that your family no longer wanted a part of and thus moved to the wonderful United States of America where they have flourished 1000fold more than they ever would have in Portugal.

That\'s the problem with immigration in this country, attitudes like yours. Sure this country is great and gives you everything you need and want yet ask for a little U.S. National pride from it\'s citizens and all of a sudden their culture and heritage is being attacked.
Bullshit!

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
World Cup 2010
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2010, 02:15:49 am »
holy shit.

well, fuck having to cheer for the US in the World Cup. i love the sport and im gonna cheer for my favorite team that has my favorite players. im patriotic in all ways i see necessary, this aint one of em.

why dont you talk shit about dempsey, howard, anyewu and donovan (sort of) for flying overseas to play for European clubs instead of promoting soccer here in the shite MLS?

i just dont see the big deal leith. if the US gets knocked out the nation wont even remember the next day, not the case for basically every other nation involved. they live and die with their soccer teams. i like that and know that soccer is never going to break into the big 3 or 4 sports here.

funny thing is i have found myself naturally cheering for the US each game. i mean, i do want to see them win but i just dont care all that much if they dont.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:15:49 am by Gordo »
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

leith

World Cup 2010
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 02:19:08 am »
Quote from: Gordo;258358
holy shit.

well, fuck having to cheer for the US in the World Cup. i love the sport and im gonna cheer for my favorite team that has my favorite players. im patriotic in all ways i see necessary, this aint one of em.

why dont you talk shit about dempsey, howard, anyewu and donovan (sort of) for flying overseas to play for European clubs instead of promoting soccer here in the shite MLS?

i just dont see the big deal leith. if the US gets knocked out the nation wont even remember the next day, not the case for basically every other nation involved. they live and die with their soccer teams. i like that and know that soccer is never going to break into the big 3 or 4 sports here.

At least when it comes down to it they are playing on the NATIONAL team.

It\'s attitudes like yours that Soccer will never make it in this country. Oh we\'re no good so why bother?  
Who gives a fuck if it\'s not popular here?
It happens every 4 years. You can\'t find the time to root for your fucking country for a few games? What the fuck is that?
That is not the American Spirit that made this country so fucking great.
Maybe if people do start living and dying like they do for other sports instead of being so blase about it some interest could grow.
It\'s the fucking World Cup and you\'re rooting for another country. You say you love the sport and don\'t see what\'s wrong with that?
Wow.

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
World Cup 2010
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2010, 02:28:47 am »
no, i dont. maybe its because i do love the sport. im not going to lie and act like i want to see the US in the final game more than a couple others. i want to see the best players produce the best futbol on the biggest stage. we dont have the best.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

leith

World Cup 2010
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2010, 02:49:49 am »
Quote from: Gordo;258361
no, i dont. maybe its because i do love the sport. im not going to lie and act like i want to see the US in the final game more than a couple others. i want to see the best players produce the best futbol on the biggest stage. we dont have the best.

Uh why are you a Bulls fan? They certainly don\'t have the best and yet you root for them every year do or die. You get pissed and you rant yet you still stand by them. A bunch of millionaires that could give a fuck less if you rooted for them or not playing for a city.
All the U.S. National team and it\'s fans ask is you back them every four years do or die as they represent the best this Country has to offer against the rest of the world as you would do every team you root for the rest of the time.

Reading your edit it\'s nice you root for the U.S. Team but not wanting them in the Final because they are not the best players is horrible. How are they going to get better without playing against the best and having the same undivided support the rest of the world\'s countries enjoy?

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
World Cup 2010
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2010, 10:38:54 am »
i grew up a bulls fan and didnt give a shit about soccer. what sparked my interest in soccer were players like torres and ronaldo, not dempsey and donovan. that continues today. come weekends i cant wait for big premier league and la liga games, these are the players that entertain me and sustain my interest for the 47 months the world cup is not being played.

i also dont think the US quality of play depends on me painting my face red white & blue. in fact that shit may have the opposite affect. look at countries like spain and england, crazy amounts of pressure that turns into threats by fans when they dont win. and guess what, spain has never won and england has been dry since the 60\'s. aside from winners, some undying supporters of their countrymen decide its best to kill those who fuck up at the cup.

the world cup is one of the best if not thee best athletic competition of any kind, but its a sport not a war. im going to enjoy it the way i want to enjoy it.

igzy, holy fuck to the portugal clinic today.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
World Cup 2010
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2010, 11:37:57 am »
looks like spain is gonna have to pull off some shit to get to the round of 16.  friday is shaping up to be a big day w/ portugal vs. brazil and spain vs. chile.

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
World Cup 2010
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2010, 11:48:51 am »
if this game holds, spain has to win both and to be sure win big today. well, if they win by at least a couple goals today and draw with chile, i could see the swiss and honduras drawing. swiss offense is dismal.

friday is gonna be very entertaining. portugal and brazil are both through, but yeah portu wins theyll lock up top spot. no matter what, if spain ends up grabbing that 2nd spot the first round game between either spain/portugal or spain/brazil is going to be thee game to watch. of course a lot of shit still has to happen.

swiss red card was kinda bullshit. that dead ball yellow against chile inside the box couldve easily been a levelling red card. either way, chile is a much better team. much more fun to watch too.

ohhhhhh my lord! thats a HUGE miss.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:48:51 am by Gordo »