Author Topic: Setlist: 2010-03-20 - Harper\'s Ferry; Boston, MA  (Read 8095 times)

galenas

• Global Moderator
Setlist: 2010-03-20 - Harper\'s Ferry; Boston, MA
« on: March 21, 2010, 10:56:44 am »
I: jam > Tunage*, Garcian Fishbowl > Reel Time > Garcian Fishbowl, Drunk Monk Bar, Escher\'s Etchings (Parts 3 & 4), Wake Up In a Coma

II: Shotgun Butterfly, jam > May Fly Disarray, Phaddy Boom Baddy, The Grand Scheme of Things** > Drum Solo^

E: Wild Pack of Asscracks

* with \'Rock With You\' (Michael Jackson) tease.
** Everyone except Chris left the stage, then joined by Adrian, into Drum Solo.
^ with \'Frankenstein\' (Edgar Winter Group) tease.

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:24:17 am »
Quote from: sąikidélik;254505
BTW good 150 people in the club

That\'s awesome! :)

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 11:31:06 am »
Such a great show! Set 1 was awesome!

I thought I heard a "Janie\'s got a gun tease" by Tim right before they went into Reel Time, but that might just be part of the song, I haven\'t heard that one in a while. Nice segwich anyway.

Drunk Monk Bar was great to hear... Jordan really growled those vocals out. The jam even got a little more out there than usual... some type IIish stuff, it even broke down to just Tim playing before jumping back into the song. EE3>4>Coma was a great way to end the set, def my first time hearing the Eschers tunes live.

Love Shotgun Butterfly, great set II opener. Mayfly was good, nothing too over the top, but I gotta say the Phaddy Boom Baddy was really rockin\' in the middle section. People were gettin down to that.

Scheme was ridiculous... easily a half hour long. The Bass>drum n bass> drum solo was very cool to watch. Always a perfect number to close the set out with. And asscracks as an encore was a great way to finish, I always get down to that song.

Mondo Gecko was a great opener, Echoes with Jordan was a nice surprise. It was awesome watching the old dude with the tie dyed mondo gecko shirt dance around right up front.

Great night, nice meeting everyone I met, came back with a new t-shirt, I\'m psyched.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Ren

• what?
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 11:49:01 am »
Jam that opened the show was kinda one where they were feeling things out, almost seemed out of synch a bit, then Tunage started.  It seemed also to be feeling things out then it took of and went out of control.  Garcian just doesn\'t do it for me when it\'s split up, good, but as I said, don\'t split it up.  Reel Time seemed looked like it was just decided on the spot and it was good.  Drunk Monk was great.  But Escher\'s 3 & 4 really made the set great, a lot of newbs there, were really starting to dance their asses off, myself included.  Part 4 was the best part of the set for me.  Excellent Coma to wrap things up.

Yes, yes, second set was clearly defined by Scheme, but more later.  Shotgun Butterfly was decent.  And the jam was more like a prolonged momentum building intro to Mayfly, which imo, is the way it always should be.  Phaddy Boom Baddy was quite good and everyone in there seemed to love it, especially the wild jam towards the end.

Scheme was without question, the best one I\'ve seen.  From the start it had more intensity than usual, almost like the whole show was just them stretching out their arms and legs for that marathon that this song was going to be. Absolutely tremendous, which was funnny to me because Mandler and I were talking about how ya just never know, what they\'ve got up their sleeves or what they\'ve been sitting on for a while. Scheme to me was perfect, everything that it could\'ve been and then some.  Then came the bass and drum solo, which actually started as a bass solo, where Dangles was seemingly testing out different combinations of effects until he was ready to jump into it.  Same goes for Adrian when he first joined him, they were just hanging back and then...boom, there it was...until Adrian just went out of his mind.  It seemed like, everything came out for that solo, frustration, happiness, anger, etc.  Just fuckin\' insane.  Then right one cue, they all  came back and built into the most intense solo I\'ve ever seen Jordo play.  I mean, holy shit, not a knock at him or anything, but I didn\'t know he had it in him, and if he did, why the hell don\'t we see it more?!?!?  The whole band loved it too, especially, Chris, unless he was staring at him and jumping up and down as the truly mind blowing peak was approaching, by coincidence ;).  Guess you could say I like it.

I was yelling (like an asshole) for Cult of Personality, which I thought would\'ve been perfect, I think Dangles did too...but it was not to be.  Instead we were treated to a rippin\' Wild Pack...

What a good time, glad to hear it was taped, and to be honest, I\'ve never seen anyone literally rig himself with wires and mics and not be in a mafia movie.  Hope it comes out good, cuz everyone, there and not deserves a recording of this one.  

Btw, I enjoyed Grand Scheme of Things.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:51:50 am by Ren »
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 11:51:49 am »
^ that\'s one of your classic reviews.  you haven\'t done one of those in a long time.  

seems like the boys are heating up the spring.

peaches626

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 11:58:52 am »
Ren, whats up with the paragraphs?
taints rule, gypsies drool!

frolfer

• breakfast geek
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 12:00:40 pm »
2010 will be the best year yet. Guaranteed.

Great review!!!
Painted wind and sound, sun and all the clouds, oohooh

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 12:04:27 pm »
wish i could\'ve done it all last night, but had a great time at Air and then Brothers Past.  I\'ll have to make some tiime for a Breakfast show real soon.

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 12:12:28 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;254526
wish i could\'ve done it all last night, but had a great time at Air and then Brothers Past.  I\'ll have to make some tiime for a Breakfast show real soon.

how was the air show btw?  never got around to getting tix.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 01:09:23 pm »
So, was TGSOT finished?  It doesn\'t seem like it...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Ren

• what?
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 01:34:33 pm »
Oh it was my grumpy friend. Side note; for the record unless I missed something...what in the fuck is a type II jam?!!?? Or for that matter a type I jam?
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 01:42:40 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;254529
So, was TGSOT finished?  It doesn\'t seem like it...

Yes, it was finished, the set list should have it going back into TGSOT

Quote from: Ren;254530
Oh it was my grumpy friend. Side note; for the record unless I missed something...what in the fuck is a type II jam?!!?? Or for that matter a type I jam?

Type I Jam is when the band solos/jams over the same chord progression.. think the Vermont Song. Type II is when they venture into new territories and get out of the initial chord progression. I think there is a type III too but I\'m not sure how that differs from type II, it\'s more ambient or something.

There is a discussion on this board somewhere from the past, I remember Bdfreetuna had a good description of the types of jams.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 01:57:52 pm »
SCHEME = epic show status acheived
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 03:22:03 pm »
Quote from: Ren;254530

Grumpy = not so much... It\'d be nice if the GPS took them back to Donnegals...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Ren

• what?
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 04:44:47 pm »
It would. It was fun there.