Author Topic: The 2010 MLB Thread  (Read 6881 times)

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
The 2010 MLB Thread
« on: January 06, 2010, 03:46:06 pm »
Andre "The Hawk" Dawson inducted into the Hall of Fame today.

My favorite baseball player of all time. Very happy about this.

http://www.youtube.com/v/0YnLlCgO-Gg&hl=en_US&fs=1&">http://www.youtube.com/v/0YnLlCgO-Gg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Too bad Eddie Murphy stole his woman in Coming To America.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
The 2010 MLB Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 03:57:28 pm »
Congrats to Andre Dawson... I shit on the sports writer association (or whatever their name is) for only 87 votes for Mattingly...  His numbers are in line w/ most of the first basemen in the hall...  He\'s deserves a spot in Cooperstown more than the spitter Alomar...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
The 2010 MLB Thread
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:43:53 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;250112
Congrats to Andre Dawson... I shit on the sports writer association (or whatever their name is) for only 87 votes for Mattingly...  His numbers are in line w/ most of the first basemen in the hall...  He\'s deserves a spot in Cooperstown more than the spitter Alomar...

This conversation again?

The only Hall of Fame first basemen with lower career batting averages than Don Mattingly are Orlando Cepeda, who hit 379 home runs to Mattingly\'s 222, and Frank Chance, who played in a pitching-dominated era from 1898-1914. No Hall of Fame first baseman has scored fewer career runs than Mattingly, and no Hall of Fame first baseman who played past 1937 hit fewer career home runs than Mattingly. I will grant you that Mattingly may have been the best defensive first baseman ever with nine Gold Gloves (though, for what its worth, the Gold Glove has only existed since 1957, after the careers of most of the Hall of Fame first basemen had ended).

Mattingly is, in fact, the best first baseman not in the Hall of Fame (depending on your opinion of Mark McGwire), but that doesn\'t mean he deserves to be in.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
The 2010 MLB Thread
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 05:19:08 pm »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;250114

This conversation again?

The only Hall of Fame first basemen with lower career batting averages than Don Mattingly are Orlando Cepeda, who hit 379 home runs to Mattingly\'s 222, and Frank Chance, who played in a pitching-dominated era from 1898-1914. No Hall of Fame first baseman has scored fewer career runs than Mattingly, and no Hall of Fame first baseman who played past 1937 hit fewer career home runs than Mattingly. I will grant you that Mattingly may have been the best defensive first baseman ever with nine Gold Gloves (though, for what its worth, the Gold Glove has only existed since 1957, after the careers of most of the Hall of Fame first basemen had ended).

Mattingly is, in fact, the best first baseman not in the Hall of Fame (depending on your opinion of Mark McGwire), but that doesn\'t mean he deserves to be in.

I disagree... There are 18 first baseman in the hall and he ranks higher than a handfull of them in hits, home runs, RBIs and batting average. I don\'t take the era in which they played as a factor since he accumulated those numbers having played a substantially less number of seasons than most of the first baseman in the hall:

Mattingly\'s Hits - 2153 (Frank Change - 1273, Hank Greenberg - 1628, George Kelly - 2054, Harmon Killebrew - 2086 and Johnny Mize - 2011)

Mattingly\'s HR - 222 (Cap Anson - 97, Jake Beckley - 86, Jim Bottomley - 219, Dan Brouthers - 106, Frank Chance - 20, Roger Connor - 138, George Kelly - 78, George Sisler - 102 and Bill Terry - 154)

Mattingly\'s RBIs - 1099 (Frank Chance - 596, George Kelly - 870 and Bill Terry - 1078)

Mattingly\'s BA - .307 (Orlando Cepeda - .297, Frank Chance - .296, Harmon Killebrew - .256, Willie McCovey - .270, Eddie Murray - .287 and Tony Perez - .279)

It\'s a futile argument because they\'re never going to elect him to the hall, but he may not have 3000 hits or 500 HRs, but he deserves to be in cooperstown w/ the rest of the pinstripe legends...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
The 2010 MLB Thread
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 05:26:38 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;250118
This conversation again?

I disagree... There are 18 first baseman in the hall and he ranks higher than a handfull of them in hits, home runs, RBIs and batting average. I don\'t take the era in which they played as a factor since he accumulated those numbers having played a substantially less number of seasons than most of the first baseman in the hall:

Mattingly\'s Hits - 2153 (Frank Change - 1273, Hank Greenberg - 1628, George Kelly - 2054, Harmon Killebrew - 2086 and Johnny Mize - 2011)

Mattingly\'s HR - 222 (Cap Anson - 97, Jake Beckley - 86, Jim Bottomley - 219, Dan Brouthers - 106, Frank Chance - 20, Roger Connor - 138, George Kelly - 78, George Sisler - 102 and Bill Terry - 154)

Mattingly\'s RBIs - 1099 (Frank Chance - 596, George Kelly - 870 and Bill Terry - 1078)

Mattingly\'s BA - .307 (Orlando Cepeda - .297, Frank Chance - .296, Harmon Killebrew - .256, Willie McCovey - .270, Eddie Murray - .287 and Tony Perez - .279)

It\'s a futile argument because they\'re never going to elect him to the hall, but he may not have 3000 hits or 500 HRs, but he deserves to be in cooperstown w/ the rest of the pinstripe legends...
My mistake. Though in my defense, It was your post that gave me the incomplete list of HoF first basemen.

During that search, I also realized that this is the third "20xx MLB Thread" in which we have had this debate. Is this the year we just agree to disagree? Or are we both just that bored?

MakisupaCJ

• I am MagnumMan
The 2010 MLB Thread
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 07:39:56 pm »
I still find it crazy that Randy Johnson finally retired. And also being a lifetime hardcore Yankee fan I think they are retarded that they got rid of Melky. Granted Granderson is twice the ball player than him, but Melky comes through in very tight situations. I\'m also relieved that Swisher gets to stay in the field. I personally can\'t wait for the new season!

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
The 2010 MLB Thread
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 07:42:53 pm »
yankees suck.  GO RED SOX !
*Gia*

MakisupaCJ

• I am MagnumMan
The 2010 MLB Thread
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 07:44:51 pm »
Nahhh Yankees are unstoppable, hence why they are the World Champions!

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
The 2010 MLB Thread
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 04:27:08 am »
just a quick tidbit--the first time I met Granderson was in my brother\'s apartment where he was making him a fake ID. they played at UIC together and ill never forget Granderson\'s last REEDICULOUS season. im pretty sure he lead the D-I nation in hitting. he also struck out to end their season a game short of the NCAA tourney, after hitting an absolute bomb just foul the pitch before (that wouldve won the game).

anyways, hes a damn good guy who has surprisingly remained in close contact mith my brother thus far in his career. i have a feeling NYC will change that, and understandably so. Curtis also LOVES the ladies. hopefully he doesnt get fucked in that realm under a much bigger spotlight than ever before. like i said before, hes a great guy. we\'ll see how the press either highlights his undeniably and numerous good qualities or tries to destroy them.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
The 2010 MLB Thread
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 08:32:01 am »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;250121
Quote from: Yoda;250118

This conversation again?

My mistake. Though in my defense, It was your post that gave me the incomplete list of HoF first basemen.

During that search, I also realized that this is the third "20xx MLB Thread" in which we have had this debate. Is this the year we just agree to disagree? Or are we both just that bored?

Fair enough...  He was my "IT" player when I was growing up, but I guess to the rest of the baseball community he was a Yankee and just an above average first baseman...  I can\'t guarrantee that I won\'t be heated next year when Alomar gets in and make the same comment, but I\'ll give it a go...

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
The 2010 MLB Thread
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 09:26:28 am »
Donny Baseball was a legend to me in my early days. Honestly, probably my 2nd favorite player in baseball next to Dawson as a young lad. It\'s funny, I was never a Mark Grace fan either. I remember watching him shake his hands out after getting sawed off for what seemed like an entire inning on a warm day. Seemed so unprofessional and weak to me.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
The 2010 MLB Thread
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 11:27:55 am »
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4803999

I think that the Global World Series mentioned in this article isn\'t a good idea... We already have the World Baseball and that sucks, why do we need to do more promotion outside of the states...

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
The 2010 MLB Thread
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 12:05:52 pm »
The Mets have acquired outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. from the Angels, according to SI.com\'s Jon Heyman.

Let\'s hope they\'re not giving up much and taking on very little of his remaining salary. Matthews, 35, has hit just .248/.325/.383 since signing a five-year, $50 million contract with the Angels in November of 2006 and had a .697 OPS in 316 at-bats last season. He\'s also a highly overrated defensive outfielder and is owed $23 million over the next two seasons. Jan. 22 - 10:32 am et
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
The 2010 MLB Thread
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 04:12:36 pm »
not a chance Gary Matthews has ever hit .383. he sucked with the Cubs way back when, and I think he has continually sucked since. he had one good season with the Rangers, but nothing mind-blowing.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
The 2010 MLB Thread
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 04:51:18 pm »
Quote from: Gordo;251254
not a chance Gary Matthews has ever hit .383.
.248/.325/.383 refers to batting average/on-base percentage/slugging percentage.