Author Topic: OchoCinco actually plans to play.  (Read 6979 times)

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
OchoCinco actually plans to play.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 09:35:17 am »
Quote from: Yoda;250167
Honestly it doesn\'t mean anything to me and if they weren\'t playing the Jets this weekend and he wasn\'t running his mouth, it probably wouldn\'t be an issue... Personally, I saw the name change as a media grab...  Just as it\'s rumored that he\'s going to change his last name again to Hachi Go (85 in Japanese)...  If I was the Bengals management, I would change his number to 86 or 87...

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/133371-ochocinco-considering-new-name?eref=fromSI

LOL. Definitely change his number after he changes his name.

Really, Chad is smart. Whether you like him or not. The man is constantly in the media and grabbing headlines and attention. From a marketing standpoint this guy has branded himself like no other.

Personally, I have begun to like this guy. He goes out and has fun and is hardly every in real trouble.

If I was a Jets fan, I\'d be shitting all over him too.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 04:14:52 pm »
remember that ocho cinco translates to "eight five," not "eighty-five." which makes his name much more hilarious.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 04:29:05 pm »
Quote from: Vassillios;250241
remember that ocho cinco translates to "eight five," not "eighty-five." which makes his name much more hilarious.

It depends if that was his intention was to have it be eighty-five.

I played football all through college and we always referred to each other by individual numbers. So I wore 68. People didn\'t call me sixty-eight, they called me six-eight. All I know is that this is pretty common.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 04:31:15 pm »
Also Ocho Cinco rolls off the tongue a little easier than Ochenta y Cinco...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 04:44:07 pm »
true and true. but in proper spanish he is "numero ochenta y cinco"
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 04:56:46 pm »
Quote from: Vassillios;250251
true and true. but in proper spanish he is "numero ochenta y cinco"

Now playing at Wide Receiver, Chad Numero Ochena y Cinco. Sounds like a soccer player now.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 05:05:07 pm »
What a tough crowd.
I applaud the guy for changing his name to something in Spanish.
It probably encourages kids to learn more of another language which can\'t be bad right?
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

MakisupaCJ

• I am MagnumMan
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 05:57:47 pm »
Kids get enough Spanish talking shit from Nick Jr., seriously I was babysitting my girlfriends nephew the other day and he was watching Nick Jr.... Like 4 out of 5 shows are like trying to teach them Spanish... with this continuing I see Americas future having English as a second language...

leith

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 06:18:51 pm »
Yeah being bilingual is stupid for kids. I get it.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 06:43:00 pm »
It may be practical but a lot of people bristle at the 3rd world invasion.  Every other culture comes here and is expected to learn the language except for one and we continue to accomodate and relinquish some of our identity.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 06:45:14 pm by alexanderzurflu »
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

leith

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 07:40:21 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;250392
It may be practical but a lot of people bristle at the 3rd world invasion.  Every other culture comes here and is expected to learn the language except for one and we continue to accomodate and relinquish some of our identity.

Really? Have you read the plaque on the Statue of Liberty?

Do you realize that most of the Southwest was stolen from Mexico?

Consider this in the State of California where we embrace other cultures and languages Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Tagalog, Persian, Russian, Vietnamese, and Thai appear in official state documents, and the Department of Motor Vehicles publishes in 9 languages.

Just saying it\'s not just Spanish though over 12 % of the United States speaks it as the second most common language which to me makes it a pretty good idea to be somewhat fluent in it.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 07:53:46 pm »

if thats the case we should all learn to speak navajo or whatever.    i think its complete bullshit that the country that considers itself to be a melting pot or what have you looks down on people who can\'t speak english.  my mother grew up on an island w/o no indoor plumbing and they could only take 1 bath a week on sundays.  i\'m thankful that my grandparents decided to move to america to give their children and their eventual grandchildren a better life.  did my grandparents learn english?  no.  they didn\'t need to nor should they have felt obligated to.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 08:28:42 pm »
Points all noted, Leith and Igz.  I\'m the first generation on my dad\'s side and am thankful I did not grow up in a cultural bubble that would have been a set back to my own progress in America.  If I moved to China, sure I would want some of the comforts of American ex-pats but would be vulnerable and clueless if I did not try to acclimate myself to the hosting country.

I\'m not anti-immigrant by any means but a lot of places are much shittier because we get the wash-ups who are illiterate in their own language (let alone ours) and cost the state(s) so much damn $$ because of all the social services they suck dry.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:34:11 pm by alexanderzurflu »
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 11:17:15 am »
Quote from: Igziabeher;250398

if thats the case we should all learn to speak navajo or whatever.    i think its complete bullshit that the country that considers itself to be a melting pot or what have you looks down on people who can\'t speak english.  my mother grew up on an island w/o no indoor plumbing and they could only take 1 bath a week on sundays.  i\'m thankful that my grandparents decided to move to america to give their children and their eventual grandchildren a better life.  did my grandparents learn english?  no.  they didn\'t need to nor should they have felt obligated to.

Melting pot = assimilation. it does not mean a bunch of autonomous cultures.

this is why Italian, Irish and other cultural aspects are seen as American vs. Italian or Irish specifically. Certain cultures have had an easier time with this and it generally follows the language skin color.

But if you come to the US you should at the very least have a working knowledge of English. When I travel I don\'t expect other cultures to speak my language. failing to learn the language of your host country does a disservice to everyone and limits your potential.

this is why ESOL kids are generally not learning with their peers etc.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 03:26:22 pm »
Quote from: leith;250397

Really? Have you read the plaque on the Statue of Liberty?

Do you realize that most of the Southwest was stolen from Mexico?

Consider this in the State of California where we embrace other cultures and languages Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Tagalog, Persian, Russian, Vietnamese, and Thai appear in official state documents, and the Department of Motor Vehicles publishes in 9 languages.

Just saying it\'s not just Spanish though over 12 % of the United States speaks it as the second most common language which to me makes it a pretty good idea to be somewhat fluent in it.

this.

Quote from: Igziabeher;250398

and this.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:26:22 pm by Gordo »
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash