Author Topic: (Grateful) Deadheads for Breakfast(.info)  (Read 12838 times)

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
(Grateful) Deadheads for Breakfast(.info)
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 12:31:19 pm »
Quote from: leith;246880
if you happen to have some DMT laying around a great time to hit it would be between The Other One and It\'s a Sin.
BLISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/tuna makes a totally hypothetical note of this ;)

Story time:

So I was at Gathering of the Vibes one year and this flaming tag-along let the words slip from his lips "Bobby sucks". We laughed at him and made fun of this quote all weekend. During the beautiful heady moments of Ratdog my friend and I would look at each other, crack up, and say "Bobby sucks".

Anyway this kid came by later with some of the dudes from P-Funk. They were looking for some doses and for whatever reason assumed we could help them out. Even though our little camp happened to have a jug of rather extremely highly mic\'d "prankster punch" which had kids totally melted and mind-blown all around us, and we were rather spun ourselves from some extracted mescaline we had been gifted by some good family at the start of the festival, we had to tell this kid and whatever dudes from P-Funk... "huh? what are you talking about? I\'ve heard of some doses going around you might want to check out the main drag and see what pops up"... stupid Bobby-hater ended up making his P-Funk buddies walk like 2 miles for nothing! :lol:

For the record I do not participate in these kinds of activities anymore, this was a long time ago :P
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2009, 12:33:02 pm »
Quote from: leith;246880
Quote from: bdfreetuna;246878
Funny enough, fancy designed drugs make me want to crank up the Dead and run far away from the untzy stuff :shrug:

Yeah that figures ;)

Anyway check out archive for other versions of that show from \'74. there are a few SBD copies up.

if you happen to have some DMT laying around a great time to hit it would be between The Other One and It\'s a Sin.
BLISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: Yoda;246879
Dead in general is good sober or not... In order to listen to the Acid Test Reels, you need something in order to have patience for all of the non-musical crap going on...

Yeah those hippies were waaaay out there

The Mickey and the Heartbits albums aren\'t too hard to handle, but the AT Reels that are mostly Kesey rapping can get a little old really quickly...  I go through cycles with these guys, but I always find myself going back to 2 From The Vault, 5-22-77, 10-31-80 and 9-18-87...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2009, 01:10:52 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;246853
Quote from: princesscaspian;246850
Quote from: bdfreetuna;246831
Princess, there\'s no hate in this thread!

but why not? i mean i really don\'t like the grateful dead, and its the internet, so everybody and ANYBODY should have to hear about it!!! i dont like them, and i know everything there is to know about music!!!!

LISTEN TO MEEEEEEEEEEE

I like the Dead, but I support Princess\' right to bitch...  By the way, the disco biscuits blow and I think that MOE.\'s halloween performance of Echoes owns the DB version...

Yes...we know you don\'t like the Biscuits, but after that selfing you gave yourself with that "seeing the Biscuits open several times for the B\'fast at Toad\'s" comment, we know how worthless your opinion is.  It really doesn\'t matter to me who you like despite what my posts might lead you to believe.  My problem with your Biscuits hate (as well as many others like you) is that it has no foundation in reality.  If you don\'t like them...fine, but please don\'t spew unwarranted criticism about a band you never really gave a chance anyway.  It\'s people like you that keep people from trying out bands like the Biscuits and the Breakfast because you\'ll hate on them without really trying to understand their music.  Instead you\'ll throw out this generic bashing that makes you sound ignorant, but unfortunately might discourage potential new fans.  A common one I hear from people about the Breakfast is "3rd tier jamband wankery."  Couldn\'t be further from the truth, right?  That\'s because of people like you

BTW...1/4/07 Echoes > Above the Waves > Great Abyss > Cyclone > Echoes disagrees with you

link:

http://www.archive.org/details/db2007-01-04.rm.flac16

Quote from: bdfreetuna;246857
People who don\'t like GD are welcome in this thread and should feel free to express their opinions. Deadheads do not get butt-hurt over dissenting opinions. Our music of choice transcends generations and continues to be as meaningful and timeless as ever; thus we don\'t feel the need to try to recruit people into agreement with our musical tastes.

Also, I totally agree with your assessment of one of the primary points of the internet :D

Yeah...that\'s not really fair comparison there.  The Grateful Dead were also around first, toured for 30+ years, and were pioneers of the jam scene that all these bands are grouped into now-a-days.  Without the Dead there would be no Phish, Disco Biscuits, Breakfast, etc...Besides I\'m willing to bet there have been times in the past where you\'ve heard someone who has no clue about the Dead make some comment about hippy, stoner music, that you have to be high to listen to that made you cringe a little bit.  That\'s how I feel when I hear people like Yoda talk about the Biscuits

Quote from: leith;246859
Damn heading up to the Bay Area for a mini Biscuits tour.

mind=blown
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

siflandollie

• Victory to RAGE
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 01:23:55 pm »
I like GD and the Biscuits.  I think the Biscuits are clearly influenced by GD in their jamming style.  The genre is certainly different, but the means of improvisation, establishing themes, is quite similar.  They are two of the only bands I know of that have the ability to bore me to death or rock me off my seat.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2009, 01:38:58 pm »
Yakity yak... this isn\'t a thread to compare Biscuits to GD or whatever. I created this thread as a companion thread to the Biscuits thread, not as some kind of competition.

I don\'t enjoy the majority of Disco Biscuits I\'ve heard but I know nobody really gives a fuck, so I\'m not going to bash them except perhaps jokingly in a good-natured sort of way. (okay, maybe I have, but I\'m over it... after listening to some extremely heady Grateful Dead I decided I don\'t have time and space of mind for such negative energy ;) )

Actually I can\'t really think of anything less relevant to this thread than Biscuits discussion and links. Pretty sure there\'s a thread already just for that.

Back to the matter at hand:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:41:44 pm by bdfreetuna »
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

inCognito

• piano slinger
    • http://www.shorelinepiano.net
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2009, 01:52:34 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;246853
I think that MOE.\'s halloween performance of Echoes owns the DB version...

^ i agree with this wholeheartedly!  

nick - i am listening to 1-4-07 right now.  

more conversation appropriate though, moe. did a very fun version of Eyes on Halloween.  Personally, with moe.  I would rather see them play PF than dead or phish.  The Breakfast I really enjoy the dead covers more than phish. i don\'t think i have seen them do too many PF covers.

http://www.archive.org/details/moe2009-10-31

here is the link to the moe. halloween with the aforementioned Echoes & Eyes of the World  

i would recomend listening to the echoes first as it is finished in set II > Eyes
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:52:34 pm by inCognito »

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2009, 02:02:58 pm »
Quote from: NickNels;246887
Yes...we know you don\'t like the Biscuits, but after that selfing you gave yourself with that "seeing the Biscuits open several times for the B\'fast at Toad\'s" comment, we know how worthless your opinion is.  It really doesn\'t matter to me who you like despite what my posts might lead you to believe.  My problem with your Biscuits hate (as well as many others like you) is that it has no foundation in reality.  If you don\'t like them...fine, but please don\'t spew unwarranted criticism about a band you never really gave a chance anyway.  It\'s people like you that keep people from trying out bands like the Biscuits and the Breakfast because you\'ll hate on them without really trying to understand their music.  Instead you\'ll throw out this generic bashing that makes you sound ignorant, but unfortunately might discourage potential new fans.  A common one I hear from people about the Breakfast is "3rd tier jamband wankery."  Couldn\'t be further from the truth, right?  That\'s because of people like you

BTW...1/4/07 Echoes > Above the Waves > Great Abyss > Cyclone > Echoes disagrees with you

link:

http://www.archive.org/details/db2007-01-04.rm.flac16

I have listened to this and the other links to the song you\'ve posted.  When they cover the song with out segueing into 3-4 other songs, it\'s not bad, but when I have to listen to an hour of music between Part 1 and Part 2, I can\'t stand it... DBs are good musicians, I don\'t like their music because when they jam, I feel like I\'m in a guido new jersey club in hoboken on a Friday night...  DB bashing was okayed in this thread last time I checked...

And by the way, I don\'t bash TB music... I may bitch about where they\'re playing or the frequency or who they play side projects with, but I don\'t bitch about their music...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2009, 02:06:24 pm »
Yes we can bash Biscuits in this thread, if we feel it is relevant... but we should do so sparingly and light-heartedly, with sensitivity to others tastes in music which are just as legitimate as our own, and not make a point of it to do so without being provoked. Us Deadheads should set a good example of kindness and tolerance!

edit: Peep the asterisk in the first post. The "rules" as they apply to bashing other music have been modified to reflect the above statement.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:12:02 pm by bdfreetuna »

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 02:08:45 pm »
I go by no name other than Yoda...

I\'ll bitch about anyone; put it in the according to Yoda thread if you can get an admin to do it... But you\'ll see, I keep coming back...

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 02:14:38 pm »
Fair enough. Try not to make the rest of us look like dicks though ;)

inCognito

• piano slinger
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 02:22:25 pm »
trying to figure out what to listen to next.  do you have a fav night from the Further fox run?  

and for the record  just finishing listening to tdb nick posted and moe.\'s echoes pwns that version of tdb.

NickNels

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 02:27:33 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;246898
And by the way, I don\'t bash TB music... I may bitch about where they\'re playing or the frequency or who they play side projects with, but I don\'t bitch about their music...

I didn\'t say you did.  I was drawing the comparison to the Breakfast.  When someone blindly hates on a band in a public forum it sometimes has the effect of detering potential fans from giving said band a try.  The Breakfast have most certainly been victims of this.

All I\'m saying is that I would prefer people say, "It\'s not my style" or "I\'m not into them" vs. "They are horrible" or "They suck".  Clearly they don\'t suck because plenty of people enjoy their music.  

I\'m not going to go back through this thread to pick out all the ignorant things you said about the Biscuits, but you know what I\'m talking about.  You are someone who was never going to like the Biscuits or give them a try, so I would rather you stay silent than bash a band you have no interest in anyway.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 02:34:11 pm »
Quote from: NickNels;246905
All I\'m saying is that I would prefer people say, "It\'s not my style" or "I\'m not into them" vs. "They are horrible" or "They suck".  Clearly they don\'t suck because plenty of people enjoy their music.

not necessarily true. case in point: the grateful dead. they suck dick and have a huge following
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

inCognito

• piano slinger
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 02:35:45 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;246906

not necessarily true. case in point: the grateful dead. they suck dick and have a huge following

nicks case in point.  they are not your style therefore you are not into them.

NickNels

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 02:45:07 pm »
Quote from: inCognito;246907
Quote from: zuke583;246906

nicks case in point.  they are not your style therefore you are not into them.

^^^this.

First of all...I think Zuke is joking

Second...I couldn\'t even say someone like Miley Cirus or Brittany Spears or whoever sucks because again, there are people who love it...my 18 year old self wouldn\'t understand this.