Author Topic: The 2009-2010 NBA Thread  (Read 14905 times)

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2010, 11:59:31 am »
lebron sucks. i used to like him but this was a bad decision. very selfish. even if he wins titles he can\'t say he is the greatest player ever because he will be getting so much help from dwade and bosh. if he were true to the game and his friggin\' home state for crying out loud, he would\'ve stayed and cleveland and won it there. it could\'ve been done, but he\'s taking the easy way out.

paul pierce has been a celtic his whole career, it took him a long fucking time, but he got his championship. lebron has no patience and i have the feeling the heat are only going to be disappointed when the celtics demolish them. fuck you lebron. you are not the best player in basketball, past, present, or future.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2010, 12:04:01 pm »
while it would have been cool to see him stay in cle, i understand wanting to move on. he spent seven years in cleveland and they didn\'t give him shit to work with. a trade for jamison? washed up shaq? mo williams? these are the best players they could surround him with? clearly the organization doesn\'t know how to complement him. he moved on. he was impatient sure, but how long should he wait? as long as karl malone? as long as charles barkley? patrick ewing was pretty loyal to the knicks...
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2010, 12:07:24 pm »
Quote from: Vassillios;258970
lebron sucks. i used to like him but this was a bad decision. very selfish. even if he wins titles he can\'t say he is the greatest player ever because he will be getting so much help from dwade and bosh. if he were true to the game and his friggin\' home state for crying out loud, he would\'ve stayed and cleveland and won it there. it could\'ve been done, but he\'s taking the easy way out.

paul pierce has been a celtic his whole career, it took him a long fucking time, but he got his championship. lebron has no patience and i have the feeling the heat are only going to be disappointed when the celtics demolish them. fuck you lebron. you are not the best player in basketball, past, present, or future.

Unless you\'re a Cav fan, why do you give a shit?  Who says he has to stay true to his home town?  Pierce is from CA, so that analogy is out the window...  Do I think he\'s the best player, no, but he was a free agent and had the choice to go where he wanted...  You could make the argument that Boston had the cards stacked in 08 with Allen, Garnett, Pierce and Rondo, but who cares, they won...  Just because you\'re signed by a team doesn\'t necessarily mean you have to spend your whole career there...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2010, 05:45:41 pm »
Interesting analysis from the WSJ:

LeBron\'s Tax Holiday

We come not to praise or bury LeBron James, but only to note that by moving to Miami he\'s going to save a bundle on taxes. We\'ll take the King of ESPN\'s word that he\'s jumping to the Miami Heat from the Cleveland Cavaliers mainly for basketball reasons, but it is also true that Florida has no income tax. The rate in Akron, Ohio is a little over 7%.

Mr. James figures to earn close to $100 million in salary over five seasons in Miami. According to an analysis by Richard Vedder, an economist at Ohio University, Mr. James\'s net present value tax savings on his salary are between $6 million and $8 million by living in Miami versus his home town of Akron. Professional athletes do have to pay other state taxes for the dates they play in visiting team arenas, but most of Mr. James\'s considerable endorsement income would be taxed at Florida rates.

The tax comparisons looked even worse for two other teams in the LeBron bidding, the New York Knicks and New Jersey Nets. The New York Post estimated that New York City and state taxes of 12.85% on high income earners would have taken more than $12 million from Mr. James. New Jersey\'s rate is nearly 9%. Both of those teams are lousy, but it can\'t help their free-agent sales pitch to start out $9 billion to $12 billion in the after-tax hole.

While LeBron\'s departure got extraordinary media attention, it is hardly unique. In the early 1990s, Ohio was the home of 43 Fortune 500 companies. Twenty years later the number is 24. Census Bureau data show that from 2004-2008 Ohio saw a net outmigration of $6 billion of income and some 97,000 taxpayers. Even Ohio\'s famously liberal Senator, the late Howard Metzenbaum, moved to Florida late in his life to reduce his estate taxes.

We feel for Cleveland fans, but maybe they should allocate some of their wrath to the state politicians who keep driving high-income individuals and their businesses to financially sunnier climes.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2010, 04:36:14 pm »
Oh pls let Shaq go to the celtics. pleeeeeeeeeeease.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

SkyePrizm

• separator
The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2010, 04:46:18 pm »
Quote from: leith;259963

i totally just found out about this.  not sure how i feel about it.  i won\'t make my opinion till i let this marinate in my mind.  but so far....i have no cons....

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2010, 05:14:33 pm »
i\'ll take him.  he\'s not gonna get much playing time playing behind Jermaine O\'Neil til Perkins is fully recuperated.  We have the same squad as last year minus Rasheed but adding the 2 O\'Neals.  All age arguments aside, they\'re gonna be a major force and I doubt any other team will look forward to seeing the Celtics on their schedule.

leith

The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2010, 05:26:40 pm »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;259965

i totally just found out about this.  not sure how i feel about it.  i won\'t make my opinion till i let this marinate in my mind.  but so far....i have no cons....

Other than being selfish, fat and slowing any team he is on yeah I see no cons either damn I hope he does this.

Quote from: Igziabeher;259969
i\'ll take him.  he\'s not gonna get much playing time playing behind Jermaine O\'Neil til Perkins is fully recuperated.  We have the same squad as last year minus Rasheed but adding the 2 O\'Neals.  All age arguments aside, they\'re gonna be a major force and I doubt any other team will look forward to seeing the Celtics on their schedule.

You would. the celts need bodies down low and that\'s all Shaq is one big fat body.

SkyePrizm

• separator
The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2010, 05:44:06 pm »
Quote from: leith;259971

Other than being selfish, fat and slowing any team he is on yeah I see no cons either damn I hope he does this.

Oh, so you mean he\'s just like perkins??  ;)  He fits rigggggggggght in.  

I thought about it. Not fully yet.  I think he\'s a good back up to have.  During the series vs your lakers, it was clear we needed more big men.  I have never really liked Shaq, even when i was younger, I still see no cons.  He\'s better than what we have right now. I just really hope the media doesn\'t coin him with an annoying name like "St. Shaqtrick" or "Shaqrock"  or anything similar.  I may vomit.

leith

The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2010, 05:55:49 pm »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;259973

I thought about it. Not fully yet.  I think he\'s a good back up to have.  During the series vs your lakers, it was clear we needed more big men.  I have never really liked Shaq, even when i was younger, I still see no cons.  He\'s better than what we have right now. I just really hope the media doesn\'t coin him with an annoying name like "St. Shaqtrick" or "Shaqrock"  or anything similar.  I may vomit.

Invest in a puke bag company.

SkyePrizm

• separator
The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2010, 06:10:07 pm »
Quote from: leith;259974
Quote from: SkyePrizm;259973

Invest in a puke bag company.

;)  HA!

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2010, 06:25:03 pm »
i just think it would be cool to see shaq go through the cavs, magic, and heat so he could play the lakers in the finals
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2010, 08:57:38 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;259976
i just think it would be cool to see shaq go through the cavs, magic, and heat so he could play the lakers in the finals

exactly.  he\'s gonna be nothing more than a 20 minute a game player to rest up our starters.  he\'ll get rebounds and dish it to rondo who can take care of the rest.  plus he can probably help out big baby with his inside game in practice.  smug ass leith still acts like the super lakers weren\'t 12 minutes away from losing the championship.  oh yeah, they picked up matt barnes so they have nothing to worry about now.  the only thing the lakers have going for them is that the other 4 best teams in the league are in the east.

leith

The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2010, 09:13:08 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;259977
Quote from: zuke583;259976

exactly.  he\'s gonna be nothing more than a 20 minute a game player to rest up our starters.  he\'ll get rebounds and dish it to rondo who can take care of the rest.  plus he can probably help out big baby with his inside game in practice.  smug ass leith still acts like the super lakers weren\'t 12 minutes away from losing the championship.  oh yeah, they picked up matt barnes so they have nothing to worry about now.  the only thing the lakers have going for them is that the other 4 best teams in the league are in the east.

That is yet to be determined and when the East consists of shitty teams and the West is obviously better seeing as every single team in the playoffs last year had 50+ wins while only 4 of the 8 teams in the East had 50+ wins. Nothing is going to change this year other than Miami now being one that will get 50+ so 5 teams will have that in the East.
The Lakers are just fine and with the healthy team they will have it shall be no problem to complete the 3peat.
I\'m just glad Shaq made his Lakers Jersey retirement no longer a subject of discussion. His number will not be retired and will not go up at least not while the Buss family owns the team.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
The 2009-2010 NBA Thread
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2010, 09:21:39 pm »
who cares. shaq sucks now. he won\'t play at all. fuckin summer media hype. this is what you get when the only damn sport on tv is baseball. brett favre brett fave brett favre. miami heat miami heat miami heat. frigii nshaw friggin shaw friggin shaq. when does football start please?
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside