Author Topic: Setlist: 2009-05-15 - Red Square; Albany, NY  (Read 10388 times)

inthewhitelodge

Setlist: 2009-05-15 - Red Square; Albany, NY
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2009, 02:42:26 pm »
I\'m thinking that guitar soloing specifically started with classical guitar in Spain. Bass soloing- jazz origins...Keyboard solos- Mozart time or earlier (What about the key-tar?)...drum soloing from tribal Africa is the oldest.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:45:02 pm by inthewhitelodge »
"When I hold you, I hold everything that is-- swans, volcanoes, river rocks, maple trees drinking the fragrance of the moon, bread that the fire adores. In your life I see everything that lives."- Pablo Neruda:wave:

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2009, 01:06:13 am »
Quote from: cannontrip;230971
 I thought I heard a Primus or Les Claypool tease at one point during the show, but I could just be imagining that.  Great, great weekend seeing the breakfast & fam.

I defenitely heard that too! it was some thing off of this album:

Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

good4garry

• Play the Red One!
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2009, 05:28:02 pm »
Quote from: Vassillios;231115
Quote from: good4garry;231099
Quote from: Vassillios;230989
of course you have to reference phish for the types of jamming, because, well, they invented it.

tweezer from A Live One.....mad type III

not to be disagreeable, but i couldn\'t let this one go.............

phish invented jamming? i think not. ever heard of the grateful dead? allman brothers?

you may like phish\'s jamming better than other bands, and that\'s cool, but they most definately did not "invent" it

No, I am definitely not saying Phish invented jamming, not even close.

I was referring to them inventing the "types" of jamming. That statement could also be considered untrue, since the dead, allmans and jazz musicians had been experimenting for many years prior to Phish.

But nobody talked about type I, II, and III jams until Phish statsticians came around... so I guess the wording was invented alongside Phish jams.

i totally missed the more nuanced "types of jamming" you were talking about, and to be honest with you, i\'d never really heard of type I, II, etc.

i don\'t doubt for a minute that phish initiated that and many other innovations. they\'re a great band.........i\'m seeing them in scenic camden, nj on 6/7

wiki has some interesting reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam_bands

i thoroughly enjoyed red square. long live the breakfast!