Author Topic: i want a more electronic breakfast  (Read 12480 times)

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
i want a more electronic breakfast
« on: April 09, 2009, 08:21:09 pm »
and i\'m not talking about dropping trance into the middle of songs. buquebus is fun to get down to...even if it\'s slightly predictable. and i don\'t mean the \'70s synthy spacey floyd-type of electronic music. i want some more modern electronic music infused into the breakfast repertoire. jesus, adrian and chris are extremely talented...have they ever tried a DnB jam (not a jam with drums and a bass)? shit, i\'m pretty sure i\'ve heard tim play squarepusher at at solo acoustic show...i\'m sure he could figure it out. it\'s definitely rooted in jazz as much as it is electronic music. how about some sort of housey jam? not saying they need to start writing techno anthems. maybe learn how to play a daft punk song (they could learn \'voyager\' in an hour and plug it into a jam) and build off that a little.

i love the rock, funk, progressive, psychedelic music they play, don\'t get me wrong. i\'d love to hear them diversify their sound even more though. it is possible to be creative even if the "repetitive" framework of electronic music. maybe it\'s because of the thinking that it necessitates "handcuffing" the rhythm section or "toning down" the guitar. i literally have no idea if the band thinks this or not. probably not since they seem pretty in tune with good music, no matter what genre. i just want them to try to branch into a type of music that they haven\'t before.

who knows, it might even attract some new/younger fans.
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:26:39 pm »
No thank you... Stick to good old rock n roll.  Disco Biscuits that way >>
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:38:43 pm »
ok well when you start a band you can just play rock n roll. your point is not really relevant at all since the breakfast have never been just "good old rock n roll." they\'re a lot more than that. maybe if you took you nose out of the boss\'s greasy asshole you would have seen that by now.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:40:22 pm »
the electronic jams are the worst part of the disco biscuits for me... i like their songs and hate the jams.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 08:46:58 pm »
Quote from: Vassillios;225998
the electronic jams are the worst part of the disco biscuits for me... i like their songs and hate the jams.

ok i wasn\'t really talking about the biscuits. but the guys in the breakfast may very well be more talented than the biscuits. maybe if they played some electronic jams you might like them.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 08:47:34 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;225996
ok well when you start a band you can just play rock n roll. your point is not really relevant at all since the breakfast have never been just "good old rock n roll." they\'re a lot more than that. maybe if you took you nose out of the boss\'s greasy asshole you would have seen that by now.

Sorry, but when any music loses the sound of instruments and becomes too synthesized, it\'s not music to "me".  And don\'t try and school me on the history of The Breakfast.  Go back to 98-00 and listen to Jordan\'s playing - definitely mostly piano and hammond; even the early versions of Buquebus weren\'t all that synthesized; it was of a straight jam.  Yeah, Jordan moved in that direction when he cut down the size of the hammond and brought in a new synth, but it never sounded DB-like.  Tim brought in some synths to fill the gaps when they were a trio and that made sense, but now that they\'re a foursome, there\'s no reason that they should get away from who they are and move in an electronic direction.  If TB starts to make music that sounds like it should be played in some shitty guido club, that\'s the day that I start walking in the other direction...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 08:54:28 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;225999
Quote from: Vassillios;225998

ok i wasn\'t really talking about the biscuits. but the guys in the breakfast may very well be more talented than the biscuits. maybe if they played some electronic jams you might like them.

yeah i agree. a couple untzy tunes to get people dancing would be cool. \'queeb is really the only one they have, which i dig, way more than biscuits jams. 1 or 2 more electro would be good and wouldn\'t overdo it.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 08:57:55 pm »
i don\'t mean "move in an electronic direction," i mean incorporate more of those elements into their sound. it makes them a more dynamic band and, in my eyes, that\'s what they\'ve always been about. they already play trance in practically every buquebus jam. has that turned you off? i don\'t want them to ever sound DB-like, either. if i want to listen to "trancefusion" then i\'ll listen to the disco biscuits. hopefully, someday, i\'ll be able to liste to some unique electronic improvisation at the hands of the breakfast

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 09:05:28 pm »
I\'m with you Zuke, I\'d be curious to see the outcome of some experimentation.  

To those who disagree, you are assuming the band would adopt a generic sound - though they have never been generic with their approach to the many genres of music they play.  Dabbling in this direction means having more tools at their disposal.  Remember how cool everyone thought Dobson\'s 5-second dub tease was in Overexposure a year or two ago?  It was something different that left many longing for more.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 09:10:21 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;226003
I\'m with you Zuke, I\'d be curious to see the outcome of some experimentation.  

To those who disagree, you are assuming the band would adopt a generic sound - though they have never been generic with their approach to the many genres of music they play.  Dabbling in this direction means having more tools at their disposal.  Remember how cool everyone thought Dobson\'s 5-second dub tease was in Overexposure a year or two ago?  It was something different that left many longing for more.

you have a date (or venue or city) for that show? you\'ve piqued my interest

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 09:16:07 pm »
i agree just as long as they dont make it permanent.  i love the diversity they bring and im sure they could come up with some serious electron shit and destroy it. could def bring many newbs but like i said they better  not get too into it because it could get pretty ser if they incorporate all their styles
*Gia*

thatguy

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 09:59:25 pm »
hhmmm sounds cool...

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 10:17:06 pm »
Gavins got it right. Untzy Breakfast cant be beat but why be a one trick pony when you can do it all?
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 11:10:03 pm »
Quote from: zuke583
jesus, adrian and chris are extremely talented...

Especially Jesus...
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 11:12:24 pm »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;226016
Quote from: zuke583
jesus, adrian and chris are extremely talented...

Especially Jesus...

hiyooooo